Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
My current job has this, as do other tech startups in San Francisco.

It's never been an issue for us. We all check with the other team leads to give them the heads up (it is not asking permission, it's just make sure there are no deadlines we weren't aware of) before committing to vacation plans. We all know who is on vacation because communicating with each other is the norm. We are all responsible people, and made sure nothing gets "dropped" when we are away by planning ahead.

Some companies advertises it as a "perk", my company doesn't. It was done mostly because it was one less thing to keep track of.

For me, it was pretty much the same as my previous job where PTO is tracked. It did come in handy when I first joined, I already had a week of vacation planned (and tickets bought). I would not have had enough paid vacation days for it after only 1 month. I do feel more freedom and flexibility in planning my vacations and days off. The only disadvantage would be if I leave the company, there would be no "unused PTO payout" (required in California).
This. I think this policy can work great if the company has enough employees and more importantly hires the right kind of people. Of course it wouldn't work for certain types of jobs. Seems like it would simplify things for everyone involved...employee, his boss, HR, accountants. One less thing to keep documented track of. It is an accounting trick in a way.

Competition for GOOD talent in the tech industry is pretty fierce, and companies resort to things like this to help attract and retain such talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
My job is SUPER lax. I'm still in the training phase. I could EASILY do my training from home and could probably get away with it but I don't wanna risk it.

I don't have a time card, I'm not salary. OT wise, I'd email my manager when I need OT.

Once I'm done with training, I'll be in the field. Off on my own so the job itself is filled with responsibility and freedom. They *kinda* know where you are at. If you screw off all the time, it'll show and you'll get put under a microscope. Finish your field work by 3pm here and there...I can go home and finish my wrap up paperwork and whatnot at my place.

PTO wise, I get 4 weeks once 2015 hits. Traveling is VERY important to me so this is huge for me. If needed, I can buy another week off. I don't plan on it since I'm new.

The whole "2-weeks off and need to be micro-managed" has become ingrained into the American work ethic, its pathetic. Our standard and cost of living is not as high as it use to be. Why hire employees you can't trust? If you can't work properly without being monitored, grow the hell up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment