Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottie_ellis View Post
On sunday i had to rush to hospital due to doing serious damage to my neck, i done this at 10:30am and was due in work at 12pm. I got fired later that night for being 'unreliable' is there anyway i could take him to court? And another thing, i know a lot about this guy i.e he's dodging taxes and doing things he shouldn't be doing? he also made a few comments about my breasts, but i don't have any physical proof & i also did not have a contract. Need advice please?
If he fired you for being "unreliable" then it sounds like you might have a history of not showing up or calling in sick at the last minute. I know emergencies arise but constant absenteeism is a valid reason for termination. If you've rarely called in sick and this was an emergency (you should have proof from the hospital that you were there), then file for unemployment and dispute it if they deny it. Also check your state labor laws regarding termination.

As for all the other stuff, it would sound like retaliation and if you don't have proof, it means nothing. Where do you work? Is there an HR department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,233 times
I 2nd giving the IRS a friendly call. Other than that not much you can do.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:01 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
You can sue.
Anyone can sue for anything.
Winning your lawsuit is a different kettle of fish.

Instead of wasting money on a lawsuit, I would suggest spending it on English grammar lessons.
Improved language skills will earn you better pay.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
On sunday i had to rush to hospital due to doing serious damage to my neck, i done this at 10:30am and was due in work at 12pm. I got fired later that night for being 'unreliable' is there anyway i could take him to court? And another thing, i know a lot about this guy i.e he's dodging taxes and doing things he shouldn't be doing? he also made a few comments about my breasts, but i don't have any physical proof & i also did not have a contract. Need advice please?
Of course you can sue him.

Whether it goes anywhere is anyone's guess.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Absolutely nothing. Pretty sure the poster meant "At-Will employment state", not right to work.
Yup.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:27 PM

435 posts, read 635,342 times
Quote:
You cannot sue for "unfair" dismissal if you live in an employment-at-will state (and most states in the USA are employment-at-will). If you wanted to bring sexual harassment charges against him its very hard to prove that he made the comment, because its one of those "he said, she said" things. Unless you have witnesses who will testify that he made these comments.
As for dodging his taxes, I suppose you could always try anonymously reporting him to the IRS.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,972 times
Quote:
I got fired ... for being 'unreliable'
How long did you work there? What are the rules for calling in sick?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 AM

366 posts, read 432,825 times
I think the only way you would have any kind of case, is if your trip to the hospital, was the result of an actual physical disability, in which an employer cannot discipline you for taking care of yourself, as you would be protected by the ADA, in which employers cannot discriminate for disabilities. However, if this was an accident ...then yes, they can fire you...sorry.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
If you weren't willing to file a harrassment claim or report him to the IRS when you worked there and those events happened, it must not have been important to you at the time. It honestly sounds like you want to retaliate for being terminated. I can tell you from experience in management that good workers are hard to come by. If you were a good employee, one trip to the ER for a serious injury wouldn't typically get you fired. There has to be a history here that you're not sharing with us.

CAN you sue? Absolutely. You can sue someone because you don't like the color of their shirt. SHOULD you sue? Eh..... good luck if you do.

While you don't have any documentaton of harrassment or his "tax evasions" I'd bet he has a record of how many times you've missed work, came in late, caused problems, etc.... or whatever led to the decision to terminate your employment.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:36 AM

6,697 posts, read 5,926,302 times
OP, did you call your employer and let them know you'd be late because of an emergency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment