Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
These tests are BS on so many levels that the only thing they really measure is whether the applicant has researched how to pick the right answers. The idea that you can use a simple multiple choice test can do the job of the BAU team from Criminal Minds is beyond ridiculous. Frankly, the fact that anyone in HR or management can be so easily scammed to put money into this sort of quackery is a disturbing commentary on the critical thinking skills of the people managing American companies.

What these mis-managers are arguing for is the right to waste 1 hour + of time of each applicant on BS. So they are literally wasting 300 hours of job seeker's time per job opening. It is time for government to put limits on the abuses inflicted job applicants. If you want to engage in quackery be like those morons several years back that thought they could slow ageing by drinking urine. Just don't try to force others to drink that urine.
I agree with the first section - these tests are useless for this application. Personality tests may be helpful and informative in a neutral setting. But its too easily gamed to get specific results.

That being said, I don't see why the government needs to step in. If an employer wants you to wear a clown suit, dance the Gangnam Style, recite the bill of rights, play a round of jeopardy, etc. Why shouldn't they? As an potential applicant, you still have the option of not applying. I don't see how anyone is being forced to do anything.

In the end, bad practices will impact the business' bottom line. I don't see why we should protect them from that. If they want to hire a bunch of clowns, that's their prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
What can you suggest, how a company can best evaluate a potential employee, that use a test to find if they are suitable for a particular job.

Example: McDonald's. You are looking for a person to take orders at the counter, and react with your customers. You want a person that will be friendly, and give excellent service to make the customer happy when buying food there. You do not want someone with a bad attitude, that will give poor service making the customers uncomfortable.

How do you determine which person would be the best. Many people, (especially young and inexperienced persons) do a lousy personal interview, as the are really scared by the interviewer, and really do not get a fair evaluation. A properly drawn test, can show their real personality and the type of worker they will be. The test, can give them a chance to get the job, where only a personal interview would eliminate them from consideration.

A properly drawn test, will allow a HM to understand an applicant. One reason for multiple interviews, is that many people are almost impossible to judge from one personal interview. A test, speeds up the process and improves it. That is a reason that employers are going to them. Just their education and experience (especially if they have had several employers), is not enough to judge a potential applicant. What needs evaluated is their personality, there work habits, how they will fit in with present work force, etc., which can best be discovered with a proper test. Don't try to anticipate what the employer wants for answers, as you may be completely wrong and keep you from getting the job. Fill them out honestly, is the best way to pass one.

Tests are not something new, as I took my first ones in the 1950s, and have had many people take them for me to evaluate in my former corporate life. The real difference today, is they are filled out on line instead of always done at the employers office.

Now the government is evaluating if they are used for discrimination. Actually by using the test system, it is giving some people opportunities that would have been discriminated against in the past. The tests are actually more neutral by far, than a face to face meeting with a HM. They do not judge you by sex, by sexual orientation, by skin color, by ethnic group, by disability, etc., etc. They judge every one by their personality, and their reactions to questions designed to find the best person for a particular job.

If you put in for a job working for the local, state, and federal government you have had to take tests for many decades. Private industry has used them for many years for certain positions. If you don't want to take tests, then don't apply for jobs.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
These tests are used by those who are thoroughly inept at interviewing but cannot admit it to themselves. I have sat across the table from many of these types. They are smug yet incompetent and they continually hire those who are totally unfit for the position.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
re the above long post^

I've never worked for anyone who didn't want "an outgoing personality." This included McDonald's. In reality, McDonald's would run more smoothly to have people who were more competent in a fast-flow work environment and showed attention to detail.

Do you want your CORRECT BURGER or do you want it WRONG w a SMILE?!

Not only do people often lack insight into who they are, but corporations often don't understand who they NEED. They may take for granted that "anyone can do this workflow but not everyone has an 'outgoing personality'." WRONG!

The main discrimination I see going on here would be against ASPERGERS. They may kick butt in the actual WORK yet not give eye contact. I would hire an Aspy all day long over a smiling idiot.

I've interviews for jobs in a lab with little interaction w people where my "outgoingness" has been questioned. Only to find out, they gave the job to someone with more "enthusiasm" (never mind if one could do the job!) After such a learning experience, i now appear "enthusiastic"for ALL positions even though i am extremely introverted by nature. Aspy applicants are unable to play this game due to their disability. Moreover, i hate myself for having to do this as i am a firm believer in radical honesty.

This is one of the reasons i am now self-employed. But not everyone is able to do this for a multitude of reasons.

I don't "play games" well such as HR personality tests because i resent the fact that in most corporate cultures, you have to.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
One more comment.

A lot of policemen (if not all) take personality tests as a tool to screen out "ill-fitting" applicants. How has that worked out for the people they serve and their employers over the past year or so?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:21 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
My brother is a detective who has won awards and was meritoriously promoted. When he started his career he failed one or two of those tests that indicated he was not suited for police work. A lot of people I know have the same story. They learn to give the correct answers and bypass these psycho-babble quack tests. It is a shame that these garbage tests are allowed to do harm to innocent people. I'd really like to see the makers sued into bankruptcy for fraud.

Any-ways it seems to be an epidemic in this country that people are too shallow to judge people on merit and relevant qualifications and instead focus on BS. That is also one of the problems with our government as people pick the best BSer and we end up with a bunch of incompetents who can do nothing except give eloquent speeches yet are unable to lead or perform well.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Legally employers may use all the inappropriate tests they like so long as it does not have adverse impact on a protected group. The employer may be stupid, paying for a useless test, but worse they may expose themselves to an un-necessary liability.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 AM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Are Workplace Personality Tests Fair? - WSJ

An investigation is being conducted into these tests and I am really interested in the outcome.
When personality tests can be used to deny people jobs and even deny them custody of their children, then its a serious issue.

Personality tests were created and sold by people with psychology degrees, who couldn't find any use for their chosen field (psychology degrees have some of the highest rates of unemployment).

Old 10-06-2014, 11:19 AM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Any-ways it seems to be an epidemic in this country that people are too shallow to judge people on merit and relevant qualifications and instead focus on BS. That is also one of the problems with our government as people pick the best BSer and we end up with a bunch of incompetents who can do nothing except give eloquent speeches yet are unable to lead or perform well.
They want to hire people they like rather than people who can actually do the job.

Personality only goes so far in many professions.

Would you want a heart surgeon with a great personality but mediocre skills? I sure the hell would not.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
In sum, potential employees lie a lot on tests like these. Its similar to "padding the resume." The liars have an advantage whereas steadfast honest people and/or concrete thinkers (as it doesn't occur to them to lie) are at a huge disadvantage.
That's what happened to someone I know, with AT&T....they answered honestly and the "questionnaire" spit their application/resume out....then said they couldn't apply again for 6 months!

This is a responsible, above-average intelligence, college-degreed (magna *** laude) person they spit out, very good with modern technology. And yet, I've read reviews and such on the internet from people who are getting interviews who can't even spell and use the English language properly (their reviews are atrociously written).

I'm all for less government (if that's what the EEOC is) interference in private affairs and I would hope it won't come to the making of another round of "red tape" for people to go through just to apply for a job, but it seems that something must be done, as these things are just not foolproof....it doesn't even seem like they are a good idea at all.

Maybe the uproar from all the good workers who have been "spit out" will convince employers to stop using them (and the fact that there are about to be millions of liars getting those jobs - ha!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search