Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:28 AM

33 posts, read 34,805 times

Advertisements

Over the past seven and half years, I have been very fortunate to avoid being a member between the various office "alliances" at work. I work as a IT middle manager in NYC for a luxury goods company. I prefer to stay independent and being myself than be full of myself and start petty fights. Better to be neutral and a hard worker than a troublemaker.

It never cease to amaze me how certain people with little/nothing in common can join forces to hate a person at a whim.

Warehouse vs. Security

Accounting vs. Warehouse

Accounting vs. IT Department

Customer Service vs. IT Department

Everybody vs. Human Resources

Not to sound naive or even dense, has anybody ever seen a "rivalry" between department ever end peacefully and for the better? I'm starting to think they never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:33 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,062,814 times
I've been in many office environments and it never ceases to amaze me how childish and petty supposed 'adults' are in the workplace. I have always entered into a company with the politics already in place, and whilst there, the office politics keep on like business as usual. I think that only until the troublemakers leave a company, that's when the politics end - or until some other ahole replaces them.

People are people.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,938,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbush260 View Post

Everybody vs. Human Resources

That ^

Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,778,570 times
If you can stay above the fray of office politics and keep it professional, then you are winning "half the battle." As a manager dealing with people, obviously that is harder to do. All places have their fiefdoms and turf wars. I never could avoid it, anywhere I had worked.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM

33 posts, read 34,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
If you can stay above the fray of office politics and keep it professional, then you are winning "half the battle." As a manager dealing with people, obviously that is harder to do. All places have their fiefdoms and turf wars. I never could avoid it, anywhere I had worked.
You ain't lying about the turf wars and fiefdoms.

The closest I have to a turf war is between me and a bunch of lazy, uncooperative Russians in Marketing/E-commerce who believe they're superior and can boss anybody around at will. Other than that, it's been neutrality for me.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,313,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbush260 View Post
You ain't lying about the turf wars and fiefdoms.

The closest I have to a turf war is between the world and a bunch uncooperative Russians who believe they're superior and can boss anybody around at will.
I fixed that for ya. Accommodating is not in their vocabulary.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
I try to avoid any unnecessary bickering and turf wars at all costs.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:08 PM

820 posts, read 1,210,684 times
Well most people working these jobs are uncreative, and hate the fact that they could do nothing more than get a desk job. To make it interesting, it turns into what you've witnessed.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,316,273 times
Unfortunately, many upper managers have caught on that encouraging interdepartmental strife is a way to strengthen their own positions. Look at these mandatory "10% under performance" standards that are being implemented across the corporate America. It destroys teamwork and stifles innovative risk taking.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,277,795 times
Some people go into the workplace with enough emotional baggage for a tour group and intending to act on all of it there. I have an estranged sister who was like that, and when she had to get a job for the first time in her life after her divorce she went from one job to another doing the same thing at each one. She would immediately single out someone to be her enemy and start campaigning against them with all the bitterness she could muster, calling me up all the time to rant on and on about them. There are lots of people out there like her, and I've not had a job yet were there was not at least one workplace bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment