Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,042,389 times

Advertisements

"Talk To Each Other, not About Each Other" when you have an issue with a co-worker.

Went over JUST GREAT with two of the three gossip queens where I work! I brought it up during one of our monthly staff meetings last year. Now they won't even look at or talk to me unless it's specifically work related, like "This rack of mdse is ready for the sales floor". Yet they are bubbly and friendly toward everyone else in the back room.

I have worked at my present employer for over 3 years, and have seen 90% employee turnover since starting there - most of it right after completing my first year. Among the only people still there when I started are these two drama queens in the back room. They do good work at what they do every day, it's just too bad their mouths run as fast as their hands!

I've seen some really great part/full-timers come and go within weeks in this place, even an assistant manager. I got along with most of them quite well, had some fun out in the sales area where I work, but mediocrity seems to outlast them all.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-31-2017 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
It's a good idea but I'd imagine it's hard to enforce because gossipers will be gossipers.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
It seems like you have lifers on your hands.. I worked at a company a while back ago with 3 lifers.

One dude was there 16 years. Was CFO demoted to Operations Manager demoted to Import Manager. 1 Lady was there for 13 years Another lady was there for 10 years.

This trio were just constant gossipers. I don't miss working with them. It was like they had no life outside of work.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,042,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It seems like you have lifers on your hands.. I worked at a company a while back ago with 3 lifers.

One dude was there 16 years. Was CFO demoted to Operations Manager demoted to Import Manager. 1 Lady was there for 13 years Another lady was there for 10 years.

This trio were just constant gossipers. I don't miss working with them. It was like they had no life outside of work.
These three are mothers, one of them a grandmother. They do have lives outside of work, but when it comes to sharing new work tips with them, "Na-uhh, that's how YOU do it, but I don't wanna hear none of it!" I wonder if such 'tude is contagious, and is contributing to turnover where I work.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:57 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Well, what did the OP expect.

Did the OP really think the gossip queens were going to take an off handed snide comment not so subtly directed at them at a public meeting, and change for the better for it?

Of course they would take it not so kindly. Would the OP appreciate being called out like that in front of all, regardless of the issue at hand?

Those ladies have lasted as long as they did because they are producers and probably know office politics or two.

If it bothers OP so much that the job environment results in such conflicts, I'd suggest looking for another job or a transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment