Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

Its not worth it these days. Just be content with a 4 year degree. What the government controlled mainstream media doesn't tell you is most jobs being created today are nothing but lousy low paying jobs. You're not guaranteed to get any good paying job with a masters now. Because there are very LIMITED Options out there for high paying jobs.

Ive seen a ton of highly educated people out there with a masters or better making 30k a year. totally NOT WORTH the investment today.

As long as you got your 4 year just keep looking for different jobs at different companies and work your way up.

Maybe when/if the economy TRULY rebounds then I would say go for it. But don't be fooled, the economy hasn't picked up. At least in terms of good paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:41 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its not worth it these days. Just be content with a 4 year degree. What the government controlled mainstream media doesn't tell you is most jobs being created today are nothing but lousy low paying jobs. You're not guaranteed to get any good paying job with a masters now. Because there are very LIMITED Options out there for high paying jobs.

Ive seen a ton of highly educated people out there with a masters or better making 30k a year. totally NOT WORTH the investment today.

As long as you got your 4 year just keep looking for different jobs at different companies and work your way up.

Maybe when/if the economy TRULY rebounds then I would say go for it. But don't be fooled, the economy hasn't picked up. At least in terms of good paying jobs.
I agree with this. I don't know why there is such a big push about going back to get your masters. In my field chemistry. A bachelors degree in chemistry is sufficient enough to land an analytical chemist or QC chemist job. Getting a masters in chemistry is unecessary and doesn't really increase your earnings that much. I understand that some people hate their job but I agree it's better to do a career change with your bachelors instead of going back and getting a masters. Grad school is exspensive so you have to be absolutely sure that your masters degree will land you a higher paying job. Don't quit a 50k a year job to get a masters it's not worth the risk. Like you said the economy hasn't fully recovered. Most of the jobs added are low paying jobs paying less than 40k a year and there isn't a lot of 60-100k a year jobs out there even though the unemployment rate is only 5%.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:56 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree with this. I don't know why there is such a big push about going back to get your masters. In my field chemistry. A bachelors degree in chemistry is sufficient enough to land an analytical chemist or QC chemist job. Getting a masters in chemistry is unecessary and doesn't really increase your earnings that much. I understand that some people hate their job but I agree it's better to do a career change with your bachelors instead of going back and getting a masters. Grad school is exspensive so you have to be absolutely sure that your masters degree will land you a higher paying job. Don't quit a 50k a year job to get a masters it's not worth the risk. Like you said the economy hasn't fully recovered. Most of the jobs added are low paying jobs paying less than 40k a year and there isn't a lot of 60-100k a year jobs out there even though the unemployment rate is only 5%.
Every job in education that commands a salary of over $50k either requires a masters or "strongly prefers" a masters.

I've seen countless jobs, paying $65 to $70k a year that REQUIRE a masters. So I dont understand how getting a masters could not be worth it?

Old 10-10-2015, 05:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Almost everyone I know with Masters or MBA not completed right after college did it while they were working. It sucked, but they did it. Even at prestigious universities. And they kept their job and stream of income.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:45 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Every job in education that commands a salary of over $50k either requires a masters or "strongly prefers" a masters.

I've seen countless jobs, paying $65 to $70k a year that REQUIRE a masters. So I dont understand how getting a masters could not be worth it?
It defiantly could be worth it but I suggest keeping your job while earning your masters. Does Florida Atlantic University offer most of the classes for the educational leadership program online; therefore, you can fit your schooling into your schedule while not giving up your job.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:

Then go for it and write back and tell us how you're doing in a couple of years.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:

A bachelors is basically a new high school diploma, so you make what hs grads used to make in the past. You need a masters to make the big bucks.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
I've done it. Twice. I was also in education. Got my masters in school psychologist (had to be f/t in the program, classes were during the day) and got a job paying more than teaching as a school psych. Then left to go back f/t to get my PhD (could have worked p/t as a school psych, but had to move to do it and got an assistantship job instead that paid tuition). I'll be able to work in schools, but that's not my goal (having worked in schools for a long time now). I'm in my final year (internship) and several companies in the area have worked with me and talked about hiring me f/t when I finish my degree. So for me, it really depends on what the job outlook is when you finish. Educational leadership- are they hiring APs in your area? Will you move if you need to? Some states require you go through specific leadership training in *their* state before they hire you (at least Hawai'i does- we've had principals come from out of state who have years of experience as principals, and they are not allowed to be administration until they go through Hawai'i state's "leadership program"). Money saved is a really good thing. Even with my tuition waived, it's been really hard to make ends meet while going to school.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
There are no "big bucks" to be made today because there is very limited good paying, good position job openings today. Companies have realized they can get the same type of work done with HALF the workforce (because they have all their employees like puppets on strings today). They also realize they can just load up their employees with the extra work for either no pay raise or LITTLE Pay raise instead of hiring on a new position for big money. A lot of other employees have absorbed the responsibilities of people companies have decided to get rid of.

Until you get rid of greedy people in power, you're not going to be seeing too many high paying job opportunities out there.

You're wasting your time and money getting extra education. I would say its only worth it if you intend on pursuing medicine or engineering. The rest???? Waste of time and money.

They won't fill the positions, they will just throw the responsibilities on their skeleton crew. So you're just going to be saddled with a ****load extra debt and maybe a few bucks more to show for it.

What you have today is a bunch of people scratching a clawing for half a dozen good paying positions and many times those positions go unfilled and the responsibilities thrown on some sucker.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

er you actually just stated the reason why he should in your comment.

When the economy does indeed turn around, it will eventually, best to have all your ducks in order. The man is 30 years old making a modest 50K a year.

In case you are not aware, that is considered well within the range of an entry level Job that many 21-23yr old college grads fight for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment