Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is the situation. My current job know's I am leaving (it's a startup of only me and the founder) and he is looking to bring someone on board soon. This has been going on since beginning of September.

I am waiting to hear back if I will get an offer from a company I really like, that I see I have a lot of potential in. I really could see myself for a long time at. This is company A. Part of the delay on an offer (if I get one) is the hiring manager is on vacay until 10/27 but HR told me that the hiring manager had a lot of positive feedback on me and they would get back to me soon on their decision, they just want to finalize some things. Office is in a great location, only 20 minutes away from me. Loved the vibe too. I think I am a little overqualified for the position which I think is the only con of it.

I just got an offer from another company (company B) and I loved the role and the phone interview went great last week. It's a 3 month contract that will be extended fulltime after those three months. They gave me an offer before they met me in person, but I pushed back and said that I wanted to see the office first and meet the team. I was very pumped on the role and told them leaning towards accepting. Well today I went there in person and all I have to say is I did not like it. I didn't like the vibe of the office or the environment. I also didn't like the people who would be on my team. Not bad people but I just did not click with them like I did in the previous interview. I also learned the commute will be difficult. It is estimated an hour to get from the office to the city and it actually took me 1.5 hour to get back from the interview today. Yeesh.

So I am in a bit of dilemmna and don't know what to do. Here is what I am thinking as my options:

A). I accept the contract (it can be broken at any time) and if I got the other job, I then take back the job offer/quit and accept the other one as soon as I hear back. I know it's an ahole move, but at the end of the day I want to look out for myself as well.

B). I accept the contract, don't get the other job offer, and deal with the 3 months I have to be there and keep job searching, and leave when I find something or when my contract comes to an end.

C). I reject the offer, and deal with the consequences. This means possibly being unemployed if I don't get the other offer from company A. My boss is currently in the first round of interviews for my replacement, but he might let me stay on board 1-2 weeks after that person starts as well.

So I feel like I am in a predicament. If company A gave me an offer it would solve everything. But I don't want to screw myself either by rejecting this offer then leaving my current job and then company A also doesn't put an offer in. Then I am screwed.

I know I should of thought of everything better, lesson learned. But I want to make sure I will be at a place that I can build my career. With this company I haven't even started and don't want to work there. The pro is that it's only 3 months, but wrong attitude to go in with.

What do you think? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I just want to point something out, without giving you feedback on your question.

Quote:
I just got an offer from another company (company B) and I loved the role and the phone interview went great last week. It's a 3 month contract that will be extended fulltime after those three months. They gave me an offer before they met me in person

Does that even make sense that they would make you an offer before meeting you in person?

Don't count on this contract going to full time when the three months are over.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I just want to point something out, without giving you feedback on your question.

Does that even make sense that they would make you an offer before meeting you in person?

^^^ exactly. Huge red flag when someone offers you a job without meeting you.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 PM

336 posts, read 589,517 times
Was this a place across the country?

I think a friend of mine got an offer after the phone interview since she was 2,000 miles away. She never talked about having to fly or travel a long distance to meet with the manager in person until orientation for her new job.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
^^^ exactly. Huge red flag when someone offers you a job without meeting you.
Yep.

Be patient.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Yeah I thought it was very odd too. I was the one that requested to meet them in person and go to the office to see it. If not it would have not needed to happen.

So I think I know for sure that I will not be there for more than 3 months that I can guarantee. The question is should I accept until I hear back from the other offer or find another job? Or should I reject the offer? I just get nervous if I reject it, and then I don't get the other offer, I am out of a job completely.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 PM

336 posts, read 589,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah I thought it was very odd too. I was the one that requested to meet them in person and go to the office to see it. If not it would have not needed to happen.

So I think I know for sure that I will not be there for more than 3 months that I can guarantee. The question is should I accept until I hear back from the other offer or find another job? Or should I reject the offer? I just get nervous if I reject it, and then I don't get the other offer, I am out of a job completely.
If I didn't think it would last more than three months, I would consider all aspects of the job and either look for something else that was a better fit for me, or plan on finding another job that I could start at the end of those three months.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 AM

I talked to my boss and he said that I can stay as long as I want until I find a new job. So I am considering rejecting the offer and waiting until I find a new job. It's never taken me more than a couple of months to find a new job, and I am on month 2, received one offer and waiting to hear if I have another, so based on everything I think I should be good.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM

So you all think I should reject then? I think I will. Fingers crossed the other ones comes through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment