Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 03:52 PM

11 posts, read 12,133 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm looking into transitioning into Advertising, a field I've been wanting to go into for a long time. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it's been a childhood dream.

In light of this goal, I was wondering if there are any advertising agency veterans here that wouldn't mind giving me advice on how to perfect my Advertising resume or are willing to share their stories about breaking and working in the industry. I am specifically interested in hearing about what it is like working as an Account Executive at a large ad agency such as Ogilvy, Grey, or Edelman etc. I want to be aware of want I am getting into and what qualities these agencies are looking for in Account Execs. My ultimate goal is to get my foot in the door as an Account Executive at a large ad agency and work my way up from there.

To give you an idea of my background:
1.) Graduated with a BA from a 4 year college. Double majored in Biology and History.
2.) 2.5 years of professional marketing experience at a consulting company in DC; promoted 3x; has supervisory experience managing/hiring interns; left on a good terms to travel.
3.) Solo traveled around Asia for a year teaching English, backpacking, scuba diving, volunteering. I did this because while I was scared about being jobless, I felt that it would get only harder in the future to take off and travel as I did.
4.) Project management certification.
5.) Very proficient in web programming (HTML, Javascript, PHP, CSS), an array of CMS (Joomla, ExEngine, Wordpress), and a working knowledge of Objective C. I used to freelance in college and managed multiple web dev projects at my previous marketing job.
6.) Very proficient with Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Working knowledge of Illustrator.
7.) I think the quality that sets me apart from most other applicants (imho), is that I have experience with both the technical and creative side of marketing. I also learn very fast and have a wide range of interests (in case you couldn't tell from my somewhat schizo choice of majors ).

Other notes of that may be of relevance:
1.) I am located in DC, but very open to the idea of moving to Chicago or NYC. I have no debt, a decent nest egg, no kids, and am in my 20s so I can be flexible in terms of where I live.
2.) In my previous position I made $50,000+bonuses. While I don't need to make more than that, unless it's an amazing opportunity, I'm a little squeamish about making too much less.

My biggest area of concern is that I don't have any actual advertising experience. I also have never worked for an advertising agency. Are any of the skills above desirable in Account Executives and if not, what should I do to remedy this? For the resumes I have sent out so far, I have created personalized cover letters (a few of them formatted to look like replicas of their website...which hopefully doesn't reek of desperation), however, I have not heard back from anyone yet, except Mullen, which was a form rejection. Thus I'm wondering if I am not approaching this at the right angle.

On that note, I would be happy to send my actual resume to any ad professionals who might be reading this via email for review - I would be incredibly grateful for any feedback from those who've actually worked in the ad world.

I am aware advertising is a tough field with long hours and low pay, especially at the beginning. I know there is no perfect job and that the ad world is not like Mad Men, but if there is anything traveling has taught me is that if you don't work to achieve your dreams, you'll end up working to achieve someone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I'm not in advertising but work with creative agencies from time to time and just wonder why, if going into advertising was a childhood dream, didn't you major in something that would get you a job in that field?

I hate to be a gloomy Gus, but you're talking about an extremely competitive industry. Thousands of people with appropriate degrees and experience have been unable to get jobs in the companies you listed.

Have you tried getting a job doing graphics in a different kind of company or small agency? I would start there as it's a more realistic goal.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not in advertising but work with creative agencies from time to time and just wonder why, if going into advertising was a childhood dream, didn't you major in something that would get you a job in that field?

I hate to be a gloomy Gus, but you're talking about an extremely competitive industry. Thousands of people with appropriate degrees and experience have been unable to get jobs in the companies you listed.

Have you tried getting a job doing graphics in a different kind of company or small agency? I would start there as it's a more realistic goal.
I'll be blunt - I didn't think I could do it and majored in what my parents wanted me to do. In college, I knew the field was tough, my parents kept telling me it was tough, and wasn't confident I would make it. I'm not blaming anyone, it's just a mistake I made.

I listed those companies mainly as placeholders/end goals. I am definitely applying to smaller ad agencies, but my main goal is simply to gain actual work experience at an advertising agency, not in a Marketing role at a consulting company, which I've already done.

With a few years of marketing experience under my belt now, I was thus hoping to be able to transition into advertising at an entry level or even intern level (so long it's at a place I can see potential for growth) to prove my worth. Is it really so competitive that someone with a few years of professional marketing experience plus good references/proven results doesn't even equal a recent college grad who majored in advertising/communications and at most a summer internship or two...?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
You might consider getting into an agency by doing a job you qualify for given your experience first, and then seeing if you can transfer into a role more to your liking after a year or two. It would give you industry knowledge in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment