Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:38 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek
I have a "useless" degree. I have worked in IT for 16 years and currently make $124k.

So...there's that.

I wouldn't recommend someone taking out $150k in student loans to get my degree, but I'd be queasy about taking out that much money to pursue almost any degree.

I wouldn't call IT a "useless degree". I have always wondered, however, what a degree in "Women's Studies", for instance, prepares someone for, except for perhaps activism.
I read the post differently. From my reading BigDGeek didn't major in IT, but majored in one of the fields considered "useless" by OP and ended up working in IT making decent money.

FWIW, I majored in philosophy and now earn about $90k a few years down the road. I sit a few desks away from folks who majored in engineering, science fields etc. and here we are a decade later, doing similar work and earning similar pay, because that's where the twists and turns of life have led us. It's up to you, not your degree, to figure out what to do with yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I read the post differently. From my reading BigDGeek didn't major in IT, but majored in one of the fields considered "useless" by OP and ended up working in IT making decent money.

FWIW, I majored in philosophy and now earn about $90k a few years down the road. I sit a few desks away from folks who majored in engineering, science fields etc. and here we are a decade later, doing similar work and earning similar pay, because that's where the twists and turns of life have led us. It's up to you, not your degree, to figure out what to do with yourself.
To a point, life does take unexpected twists and turns and you may get a break, even with today's labor market as it is, with a bad degree. That still doesn't mean that majoring in something better won't improve your odds at success.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
To a point, life does take unexpected twists and turns and you may get a break, even with today's labor market as it is, with a bad degree. That still doesn't mean that majoring in something better won't improve your odds at success.
It could but it's all about your strength in it. Let's remember a 4.0 student in a liberal arts is likely to be a better candidate than a 2.7 student in engineering that chose it not for their strength but because it was in demand. If it was a 4.0 vs. 4.0, I'd go with the engineering student but we are talking about a student who is only .2 on their GPA above the bare minimum to graduate.

EDIT: Now the why the liberal arts major has a 4.0 and the engineering major has 2.7 can be up for debate but for argument sake we are looking at them as equals. The 2.7 engineering major is something I would fear can happen more and more with more people going to that due to interests rates favoring the in need majors.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:01 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
They might do well now but trades physically wear people out. Accidents happen as well. It does not take much to pretty much be out of work not so much because of the business itself but just because you cannot physically do it.
Good point. I wouldn't discourage someone from going into the trades, but they should do their research. A former coworker of mine went from being a welder to entering a low-paying healthcare field because of a serious injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

B) Last year's useless degree may not stay useless, and this year's hot prospect may not get you anywhere in 10 years. At one time the best degree you could possibly have was Liberal Arts, believe it or not. All the presidents and titans of industry in the country had Liberal Arts degrees if they had anything at all. Now all it gets you is a student-loan payment.
This is true. Georgetown's study has twice found architecture to have the highest unemployment rate among recent graduates after the real estate market went south. Information systems had the second highest unemployment rate among recent graduates.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
No professor or counselor would ever tell a student a certain degree is useless since the purpose of college is encourage students to reach their long term goals.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
No professor or counselor would ever tell a student a certain degree is useless since the purpose of college is encourage students to reach their long term goals.
Or the purpose is to increase the college's bottom line...

Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Or the purpose is to increase the college's bottom line...
Yup that too

Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Oh jeez! Some types of jobs just don't come along like others. Somebody might have to wait a long time for a position in their field, that doesn't make their degree useless.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:17 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I told my students all last year that they don't need a college degree to do what they wanted to do, which was mostly law enforcement. I will tell my students the same thing when I start teaching again next semester because I honestly think that colleges are being unethical in how they market criminal justice degrees. However, I put most of the blame on the students for not doing any research. It really does not take that long to see that the local police departments do not require a degree, but a lot of students don't do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment