Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:19 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times

Advertisements

I honestly think it is borderline criminal that these idiotic university "counselors" and professors aren't honest and upfront with students regarding their job prospects, earning prospects, and debt load when pursing useless degrees such as psychology, political science, sociology, African studies, any type of major ending in "studies" or "logy", etc..

Any useless degree should have a huge red warning label stating the following:

WARNING: YOU ARE PURSING WHAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD CONSIDER TO BE AN USELESS DEGREE!!! YOUR ODDS OF FINDING A DECENT JOB AFTER GRADUATION ARE BASICALLY NIL! EVEN IF YOU DO MANAGE TO FIND A JOB, IT WILL LIKELY BE A LOW PAYING JOB IN RETAIL OR THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY! IF YOU ARE LUCKY, YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO LAND AN OFFICE JOB AS A TEMPORARY WORKER. THESE JOBS USUALLY PROVIDE ZERO BENEFITS, AND ONLY A LOW HOURLY WAGE! ADDITIONALLY, YOU WILL LIKELY HAVE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN STUDENT LOANS!!!

IF YOU DECIDE TO PERUSE THIS DEGREE YOU WILL LIKELY MOVE BACK HOME TO YOUR PARENT'S HOUSE AFTER GRADUATION WITH NO JOB PROSPECTS AND CRUSHING DEBT! THERE IS A HIGH LIKELIHOOD YOU WILL CRY ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A JOB WITH YOUR USELESS DEGREE AND/OR DECIDE TO "OCCUPY WALL STREET'!

YOUR FRIENDS THAT DECIDED TO PUT IN THE TIME, EFFORT, AND COMMITMENT TO GET A ACTUAL IN DEMAND DEGREE WILL LIKELY FIND A JOB IN THEIR FIELD BUILDING A CAREER AND ADULT LIFE WHILE YOU ARE STILL SLEEPING IN THE SAME BEDROOM YOU HAVE BEEN SLEEPING IN SINCE A KID IN YOUR PARENT'S HOUSE!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
No.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Why, your degree is only useless if you don't learn the practical applications of going to college, no matter what you study.

Even with the most useless degree you learn to think, write, analyze. 99% of degrees do not teach you anything practical that applies to the workforce. And even useless degrees open you up to the networking opportunities available by attending to college.

All students should learn that it takes more than a degree to be successful in the workplace, and they better get on all of those soft skills.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:41 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
I would swear these threads are being posted by paid posters from for-profit degree mill schools offering degrees in supposedly "in demand" fields.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I have a "useless" degree. I have worked in IT for 16 years and currently make $124k.

So...there's that.

I wouldn't recommend someone taking out $150k in student loans to get my degree, but I'd be queasy about taking out that much money to pursue almost any degree.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I honestly think it is borderline criminal that these idiotic university "counselors" and professors aren't honest and upfront with students regarding their job prospects, earning prospects, and debt load when pursing useless degrees such as psychology, political science, sociology, African studies, any type of major ending in "studies" or "logy", etc..

Any useless degree should have a huge red warning label stating the following:

WARNING: YOU ARE PURSING WHAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD CONSIDER TO BE AN USELESS DEGREE!!! YOUR ODDS OF FINDING A DECENT JOB AFTER GRADUATION ARE BASICALLY NIL! EVEN IF YOU DO MANAGE TO FIND A JOB, IT WILL LIKELY BE A LOW PAYING JOB IN RETAIL OR THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY! IF YOU ARE LUCKY, YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO LAND AN OFFICE JOB AS A TEMPORARY WORKER. THESE JOBS USUALLY PROVIDE ZERO BENEFITS, AND ONLY A LOW HOURLY WAGE! ADDITIONALLY, YOU WILL LIKELY HAVE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN STUDENT LOANS!!!

IF YOU DECIDE TO PERUSE THIS DEGREE YOU WILL LIKELY MOVE BACK HOME TO YOUR PARENT'S HOUSE AFTER GRADUATION WITH NO JOB PROSPECTS AND CRUSHING DEBT! THERE IS A HIGH LIKELIHOOD YOU WILL CRY ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A JOB WITH YOUR USELESS DEGREE AND/OR DECIDE TO "OCCUPY WALL STREET'!

YOUR FRIENDS THAT DECIDED TO PUT IN THE TIME, EFFORT, AND COMMITMENT TO GET A ACTUAL IN DEMAND DEGREE WILL LIKELY FIND A JOB IN THEIR FIELD BUILDING A CAREER AND ADULT LIFE WHILE YOU ARE STILL SLEEPING IN THE SAME BEDROOM YOU HAVE BEEN SLEEPING IN SINCE A KID IN YOUR PARENT'S HOUSE!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
You know, that means that whatever you studied in school at age 20 or so is what you'll be doing for the next 40-45 years. A dreary prospect at best.

At a certain point, and it doesn't take that long, what your degree is in doesn't really matter very much. Lots of unemployed older engineers seem to confirm that.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:01 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I would swear these threads are being posted by paid posters from for-profit degree mill schools offering degrees in supposedly "in demand" fields.
Can't decide if this thread is the weekly rant against liberal arts degrees.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Fortunately, not everyone looks at the world through such a pathetically narrow focus as post #1. True, there are lots of unemployed people, but the reality is that can happen to anyone. If you really take the time to dig, you will find all kinds people in positions of leadership with degrees ending in 'ology.'

Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Huh?

Speak for yourself man. If you don't know how to sell yourself how is that a schools problem?

If you don't know how to find positions to apply for how is that a schools problem?

If you don't know how to make out a cover letter let alone a resume how is that a schools problem?

Turn off the tv.

Sometimes we get forced to listen to negativity without any real statistics behind it.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
They really need to have stricter criteria for student loans. Otherwise intelligent people in their teens/early twenties are idealistic and naive at that age. I know I was. My student loans are pretty bad, but I know some people have it far worse. It's insane how someone can be 17 and have their parents completely in charge of their finances then they turn 18 and can take out a whopping $100,000 loan to ruin their life with. Of course parents should caution children about these loans and the young adults should take responsibility but it doesn't seem to be working out that way for a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment