Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

Advertisements

If possible I would say to stay on the job till end of year and try to get another month of savings stored. Then I would be out of there.

Not only are you not happy with your current job...but it sounds to me like you would much rather be in California than Tennessee.

The longer you are working outside of your desired field the harder it will be to break in.

Do what you have to do buddy.

I would also make the effort to not burn the bridge with your current gig. It may be possible that you could move back if you absolutely have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 PM

270 posts, read 274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
If possible I would say to stay on the job till end of year and try to get another month of savings stored. Then I would be out of there.

Not only are you not happy with your current job...but it sounds to me like you would much rather be in California than Tennessee.

The longer you are working outside of your desired field the harder it will be to break in.

Do what you have to do buddy.

I would also make the effort to not burn the bridge with your current gig. It may be possible that you could move back if you absolutely have to.
If bridges were trying to be avoided, I would have to give the guy until next year as he asks (he would like me to stay until May, which is my 1 year date). I do feel a debt of gratitude as before I joined the company, I was completely turned off to the idea of sales. Now, I actually like sales, but I feel that a better company culture that fits me would be best.

Yes, I would like to be back in California or at least in an industry that I knew I would have a chance to move back someday. For example, take a software sales job in Texas or Salt Lake City to keep costs low and pay off my student loans then relocate to California after I have my financial house in order and some experience in the business that would warrant a salary that would actually be comparable to the cost of living.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
If bridges were trying to be avoided, I would have to give the guy until next year as he asks (he would like me to stay until May, which is my 1 year date). I do feel a debt of gratitude as before I joined the company, I was completely turned off to the idea of sales. Now, I actually like sales, but I feel that a better company culture that fits me would be best.

Yes, I would like to be back in California or at least in an industry that I knew I would have a chance to move back someday. For example, take a software sales job in Texas or Salt Lake City to keep costs low and pay off my student loans then relocate to California after I have my financial house in order and some experience in the business that would warrant a salary that would actually be comparable to the cost of living.

Gotcha. Then I would focus on applying for sales technology gigs within driving distance of Tennessee.

All you need is a foot in the door.

Keep applying.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
You can fly round-trip between BNA and either SFO or OAK for under $500 on Southwest pretty much anytime. I do it regularly. I have no idea where you're getting the $1,000 minimum number.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You can fly round-trip between BNA and either SFO or OAK for under $500 on Southwest pretty much anytime. I do it regularly. I have no idea where you're getting the $1,000 minimum number.
That is a one-way ticket. Every other time, it's $700-$1,000 round trip. Keep in mind, when asked for an interview these folks are not giving me more than a week's notice.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I graduated college last year, had an internship in FL until April of this year and I currently work in TN in the automotive industry (B2B sales). I can't stand being here any longer. We have two sales reps. When I first got hired, everything was fine. 2 weeks after I got hired, the senior rep quit and I got handed his accounts. We hired another rep, but he has the less important accounts and is having a hard time picking up the job and his work ethic is poor to say the least. So, my boss has asked me to not only do my job, but also to basically make sure the other guy does his job correctly.

My problem is that I was never trained properly and have been learning on the fly. In the beginning, this resulted in me getting yelled at everyday for things that I was never trained on. When I would ask a question, I was told that I should figure it out first before asking. When I attempted this, I usually lost a lot of time and got yelled at for not considering certain scenarios. I walked in around 60 days into the job and gave my notice. My boss said he was totally unaware of the situation and said he would improve. He and HR asked me to give it a couple of months for things to get better and I reluctantly agreed.

It is now 4 months after that conversation and while I have a lot of the job down with a better relationship with my boss, there are still other parts that I don't know and get yelled at for not knowing. I actually found out that at our other location people with 2 years experience actually don't know what I'm being asked to figure out after starting here in April. I wanted to leave in September, but thought I would at least try to get a job in sales lined up in California, my home state before leaving. I have 2 places that I have had second interviews for. One is currently deciding whether they want to hire me and the 2nd position would like me to come in and meet the team. They're willing to wait until Thanksgiving to come in and I asked if I could Skype, which they agreed to get set up. Both jobs are in software sales. I went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, so I get a lot of callbacks from Bay Area firms, but once companies find that I am out of state, job leads go cold or they ask when will I be in town to interview.

Anyway, I already gave my notice to leave the room I live in, but I am sure if I needed to, I could get another month since my landlord hasn't found anybody yet. However, my job is causing significant stress. I work 12-14 hour days with no overtime and despite being a sales job we are not paid on a commission basis.

I have about 2 1/2 months worth of living expenses ready and if I needed to stay with a relative, I could probably stretch that out. My parents are deceased, so I would have to move in with aunts or uncles, which are cool, but not quite as understanding as parents would be if you get my drift. All of my family is in California.

Anyway, my question is would you move without a firm offer in hand? I'm pretty sure I can get work in the industry I'm currently seeking to get employed in, but that could change if I am no longer working (not sure if I would get callbacks). More importantly, is it time to walk in tomorrow and give my 2 week notice?

The only drawback that I see is that my salary negotiating power would go down, but I'm applying to entry level positions anyway, so I'm not sure that would matter. Why would you pay an entry level person more for 6 months experience in sales when you can get a person fresh out of college for less money?

Your advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!
When you say home state does this include living at home with family? If so I'd quit and return home. If you're that unhappy time to move on.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
That is a one-way ticket. Every other time, it's $700-$1,000 round trip. Keep in mind, when asked for an interview these folks are not giving me more than a week's notice.
$629.70 For a ticket next week BNA-SFO.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
I'm actually in a similar position. My boss isn't abusive, but I just can't stand living in this state any more! The wages suck and the weather sucks. While your reasons are different, our outcome is the same. I am attempting to locate a job back home in CT while residing in FL. Two jobs so far have passed on me as a candidate because I told them I was in another state despite me having the willingness to come locally for an interview.

It's not cheap to just up and leave on a flight to a job without a guarantee of landing the position at least for me anyway. I've been considering for the last few months if it'll just be easier to take my family's offer for assistance and save up a few months worth. Being local should make for a much easier time finding and interviewing for jobs (same for you).

If you have monthly expenses for credit cards or money owed to something just zero them out and reduce the number of bills you have to pay per month... this way you can keep yourself going without much assistance from others!

わたしは にほんごがすこししか はなせません -- がんばれ!

Dunno if foreign languages are against the rules ... I just told him I speak a little Japanese and good luck!

Edit: Yeah I just checked, maybe the translation would be sufficient to the mods

Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
$629.70 For a ticket next week BNA-SFO.
What days are those?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I'm actually in a similar position. My boss isn't abusive, but I just can't stand living in this state any more! The wages suck and the weather sucks. While your reasons are different, our outcome is the same. I am attempting to locate a job back home in CT while residing in FL. Two jobs so far have passed on me as a candidate because I told them I was in another state despite me having the willingness to come locally for an interview.

It's not cheap to just up and leave on a flight to a job without a guarantee of landing the position at least for me anyway. I've been considering for the last few months if it'll just be easier to take my family's offer for assistance and save up a few months worth. Being local should make for a much easier time finding and interviewing for jobs (same for you).

If you have monthly expenses for credit cards or money owed to something just zero them out and reduce the number of bills you have to pay per month... this way you can keep yourself going without much assistance from others!

わたしは にほんごがすこししか はなせません -- がんばれ!

Dunno if foreign languages are against the rules ... I just told him I speak a little Japanese and good luck!

Edit: Yeah I just checked, maybe the translation would be sufficient to the mods
LOL, I lived in FL earlier this year and I agree with both. I will say that the wages here are fine when adjusted for cost of living, especially when I consider that to get a job that pays the same when adjusted for COL in California, I would have to put time in whereas here, I got that income at entry level.

My friends from school had to be cutthroat and damn near beat out all the competition in order to get their jobs in SF, which at this point are actually less than what I make when adjusted for COL. At the same time, I would probably trade the perks of living there for the pay trade off (except for living with roommates, I'm done with that part of my life).

Just zero them out, lol. I got mad bills as I paid my way through school and maxed out a couple of credit cards to pay for my job hunt when I left college last year. I just paid off 2 loans and have my sights set on my credit cards next. I just paid off half of my bill last week and am working on finishing it up by the end of the year.

If I waited to pay off my cards in full, we might be talking at least a year. Not sure if I have that kind of time.

話せないより喋れないと使ったほうがいいよ。
Also, がんばれ!is a phrase you shouldn't use with a stranger. It's pretty rude actually. You should use the polite form. Good luck in your Japanese studies. My advice would be do not use it to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment