Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 AM

37 posts, read 25,672 times

Advertisements

It's so annoying when jobs that advertise, "Entry-level" position, "we train you", etc. then when you get phone interview they ask for previous experience/jobs and how this position related to that and bla bla

Seriously, it says you will train us and it's a training program or entry-level position, why care about previous work experience?! I have many years of retail sales experience, I guess not enough!

I also noticed more and more full-time jobs are paid hourly; so annoying! Hourly paid sounds like for minimum wage/no degree jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 02:32 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,889 times
They care because it gives an idea of how steep the learning and training curve will be, rather astonishing that you don't recognize that.

Also, you can blame wage/hour lawsuits for the proliferation of hourly pay positions instead of salary. Much easier to consider almost every position non-exempt and treat accordingly than be dragged into court over misclassification or wage lawsuits.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
They care because it gives an idea of how steep the learning and training curve will be, rather astonishing that you don't recognize that.

Also, you can blame wage/hour lawsuits for the proliferation of hourly pay positions instead of salary. Much easier to consider almost every position non-exempt and treat accordingly than be dragged into court over misclassification or wage lawsuits.
Really? Blame W&H because companies could not abide by rather simple rules? Blame W&H because companies were trying to pull one over on their employees playing the exempt/non-exempt game?

Old 11-08-2014, 03:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
People only file lawsuits when the accused party, based on their understanding, isn't abiding by the law.

Folks shouldn't be blamed or castrated because they're using the judicial system for the purpose it serves (ensuring that law & order is maintained).

Old 11-08-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Really? Blame W&H because companies could not abide by rather simple rules? Blame W&H because companies were trying to pull one over on their employees playing the exempt/non-exempt game?
That wasn't the OP's complaint. Please read it again - they were complaining that they felt that hourly is for minimum wage/no degree jobs. California was one of the first states that started reinterpreting the rules and has put much more pressure on employers to reclassify to stay in compliance.

So, yes, blame the lawsuits relative to the OP's complaint. I those lawsuits weren't commonplace, you'd still have "salary" jobs paying below minimum wage or in roles that should be non-exempt. You simply read something into my post - unless you can find and point out where I said W&H lawsuits were a bad thing?

Old 11-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
People only file lawsuits when the accused party, based on their understanding, isn't abiding by the law.

Folks shouldn't be blamed or castrated because they're using the judicial system for the purpose it serves (ensuring that law & order is maintained).
Thanks for playing. Try again - you missed the point entirely.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Thanks for playing. Try again - you missed the point entirely.
In your initial post, it seemed as if you were trying to blame the folks who file lawsuits for employers improperly classifying their employees.

Is that correct?

Old 11-08-2014, 03:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
That wasn't the OP's complaint. Please read it again - they were complaining that they felt that hourly is for minimum wage/no degree jobs. California was one of the first states that started reinterpreting the rules and has put much more pressure on employers to reclassify to stay in compliance.

So, yes, blame the lawsuits relative to the OP's complaint. I those lawsuits weren't commonplace, you'd still have "salary" jobs paying below minimum wage or in roles that should be non-exempt. You simply read something into my post - unless you can find and point out where I said W&H lawsuits were a bad thing?
Ok, my bad, I was reading too much into your post. My apologies. As the poster above stated, it just read like you were blaming the people who were filing the suits.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas is Here View Post
It's so annoying when jobs that advertise, "Entry-level" position, "we train you", etc. then when you get phone interview they ask for previous experience/jobs and how this position related to that and bla bla

Seriously, it says you will train us and it's a training program or entry-level position, why care about previous work experience?! I have many years of retail sales experience, I guess not enough!

I also noticed more and more full-time jobs are paid hourly; so annoying! Hourly paid sounds like for minimum wage/no degree jobs!

I disagree about hourly pay. When you get paid by the hour, you qualify for OT. My wife just took a full time IT position that was originally advertised as salaried. By the time she accepted the position the parent company changed it to an hourly job. They just took the yearly salary and converted it to an hourly rate. Now she gets OT so actually she will be earning more.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:20 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,851 times
Want some real advice? Learn the skills needed, create a job on your resume, and then apply. It's only lying when you can't back up the skills you listed. If you wont, someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment