Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM

21 posts, read 39,028 times

Advertisements

Im a new college student, I'm going to De Anza college.
I like math and art, I'm thinking about studying Finance
but I have no idea what Finance is about,
I have strong math skill, but lack of English skill,
I dont know if Im going to do good in Finance or not,
Can I have some advices, please?

Is there any good website to find out what is the best career for me?

Addition: I want to get at least a BS degree in something,

If I can find a major I love, I am looking to get a Master with it,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,675,297 times
Advice: Don't go to college.
If you must. Don't go college thinking it's a place to discover yourself. College is job. If you're going to have fun, you're basically paying 20K per year to have fun. There are cheaper ways.

Only go to college if you are majoring in engineering or pre grad school subjects. (Pre-med, pre-law, pre-mba etc etc). All the rest is BS. Trust me, I'm a doctor. (or rather, a poor college student).

Old 11-09-2014, 05:42 PM

21 posts, read 39,028 times
I'm studying Accounting, and looking for an internship in the summer.
I looked around some of the job listing on Craigslist, and I see that all
of them require at least +2 years of accounting experience or a Bachelor
degree.

What can I do now to strengthen myself so that I can land an internship
or a part time job related to Accounting?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:46 PM

29,524 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Many forum members know by now that in order to make the most money and have the best available jobs year in and year out, pick a degree from the STEM field.

Engineering, math, science, etc.

Any other degree in any other major is 'worthless.'

Or so we are told from the bi-monthly articles from various websites.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
Unless you're an engineer or doctor a 4 year degree is a complete waste of time and money. I could get the same job I now have with a 2 year degree from a community college. You'll end up making $13 an hour while having to pay $500 a month in student loan repayments. Don't buy the lie. College was the worst decision I've made in my life to date.

And just because you have a Masters degree doesn't mean you make more money. I work with lots of people with great sounding masters degrees (Urban Sustainability, Architecture, etc) and they make as much money as the 2 year degree people.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,823 times
Don't listen to these guys - get the 4 year degree (not in art!). It will land you better jobs once the economy recovers. BUT, avoid as much debt as you possibly can. The mistake is not the degree, it's the debt that many incur to get the degree.

Now when I was in college, it was still possible to find inexpensive state universities and work your way through. That may no longer be the case, I don't know.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:00 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Advice: Don't go to college.
If you must. Don't go college thinking it's a place to discover yourself. College is job. If you're going to have fun, you're basically paying 20K per year to have fun. There are cheaper ways.

Only go to college if you are majoring in engineering or pre grad school subjects. (Pre-med, pre-law, pre-mba etc etc). All the rest is BS. Trust me, I'm a doctor. (or rather, a poor college student).
I don't agree with this. I and many others went to college taking different subjects and discovered what they were truly interested in. You can't do that sort of thing on your own and if you want to then pursue it, you are going to need college anyway.

College is a serious business and I saw no evidence that the OP was going there to party.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:02 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tdrgn View Post
Im a new college student, I'm going to De Anza college.
I like math and art, I'm thinking about studying Finance
but I have no idea what Finance is about,
I have strong math skill, but lack of English skill,
I dont know if Im going to do good in Finance or not,
Can I have some advices, please?

Is there any good website to find out what is the best career for me?

Addition: I want to get at least a BS degree in something,

If I can find a major I love, I am looking to get a Master with it,
Go to college and take the different courses you might be interested in. Many people go to college to major in accounting, for example and end up going into an entirely different field because of a course they took outside of their major. Explore and check everything out.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,299,729 times
I would say go to college but get a degree from business or science school and not some of those crappy majors like theater and language etc. Most of the jobs have a college degree pre-requisite which is important for someone who doesn't have any experience. I was about to suggest you marketing since it is one of the easiest business major to graduate with in college (in my opinion) but since you lack english skill I am not sure. If would second accounting as others have rightfully mentioned.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,124 times
Popular opinion of safe majors seem to be:

1) Finance
2) Accounting
3) Supply chain management
4) Healthcare -whether it is nursing, medicine, pharmacy, physical therapist etc...
5) Engineering
6) Computer science/development/security etc...

Popular opinion also dictates that majoring in anything outside of the 6 majors listed above is useless and will more than likely result in working a 8-15$ per hour job that does require a degree in the work place.

Further advice- passion is great, being passionate about a particular field is a wonderful thing, just remember to think long term, think what happens when the academic honeymoon is over, think how applicable is my passion in finding work, moving out etc... And no matter if you are studying a "useless" degree or a "real" degree, get those internships, get the work experience, get professional references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment