Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Read it again. Only applies to the entitled douchecanoes, not all millennials. Had it applied to all millennials, it would have been a sentence like this:

"Millennials, those entitled douchecanoes..."

Swear to god, some people can't see past the chip on their shoulder.

It's all good though. Once the page views and click through rate slows down, it'll all be deleted anyway.
Actually, you said "entitled douchecanoes millenials".

Okay, if you feel that strongly about it being true, show some evidence that "entitled douchecanoes millenials" blame others. That's a broad brush stroke. There's a lot of entitled douchecanoes millenials... how are you basing it that they blame others?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Isn't that better than starting out with
  • Tens of thousands of dollars of debt
  • Tens of thousands of foreigners to compete with
  • Tens of thousands of jobs becoming obsolete (and far fewer jobs springing up in their place)
  • Nothing entry-level

???
Think for yourselves.

This "everyone deserves a college education" BS has placed our children in the bondage of debt to big university.

In the past, only those with money, ambition or drive went on to higher education.

Those with money had the luxury of attending useless courses which merly enrich their mind, not so that they could gain employment once graduated.

Those with drive and ambition to graduate as a noun have always found a way......"I am a doctor" "I am an attorney" "I am a chemist", etc, etc.

You can't afford $100,000 in debt to say "I have an English degree, would you like fries with that?"

Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 PM

202 posts, read 265,297 times
Quote:
Read it again. Only applies to the entitled douchecanoes, not all millennials. Had it applied to all millennials, it would have been a sentence like this:

"Millennials, those entitled douchecanoes..."

Swear to god, some people can't see past the chip on their shoulder.

It's all good though. Once the page views and click through rate slows down, it'll all be deleted anyway.
And it's still an ignorant comment. There are "entitled douchecanoes" of all generations.

I've had my fair share of both 50 and 20 year old something patients who acted rude, entitled, and could care less about doing their home exercises programs in order to get better. I don't see how the idea that there are lazy, hard-working, compassion, and rude people from every age group is hard to understand.

BTW Doctor = Educator in Latin, means you hold the highest degree in your field of study. It doesn't mean you're in the 90% percentile of the human IQ. We're allowed to make grammatical mistakes too ya know. Anybody can get a doctorate degree in a field they're interested in as long as they're willing to put the work into it. Hard-work is what gets you places, not high intelligence necessarily.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Here's a serious question. I bought my first house (with my husband) when we were 35 (we are boomers/Gen X born 1961).

It cost 225K in 1995. Before then we always lived in rental properties with at least 1 other person. All my college educated friends had the same basic experience.

Do Millennials feel they deserve to own something better and sooner (before age 35) and feel they are cheated if they don't? This is where I get confused.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Here's a serious question. I bought my first house (with my husband) when we were 35 (we are boomers/Gen X born 1961).

It cost 225K in 1995. Before then we always lived in rental properties with at least 1 other person. All my college educated friends had the same basic experience.

Do Millennials feel they deserve to own something better and sooner (before age 35) and feel they are cheated if they don't? This is where I get confused.
I bought my piece of real estate when I was 26. I built a home on it that was finished in two years. The total value was about 960,000 at the time (I'm in NJ where the cost of living is high). I did it as an investment. Not because I felt entitled or was going to feel cheated.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually, you said "entitled douchecanoes millenials".

Okay, if you feel that strongly about it being true, show some evidence that "entitled douchecanoes millenials" blame others. That's a broad brush stroke. There's a lot of entitled douchecanoes millenials... how are you basing it that they blame others?
Please read the post again. No plural.

Then, read it in context relative to the post that it was in reply to.

You'll see that it was in response to the notion that if pre-employment testing was common that people would self study software programs that may help them gain employment. My point was that:

1. That does happen today and hasn't changed behaviors
2. The douchecanoe millennial segment of the population with a heavy sense of entitlement would still blame their lack of employability on someone else.

Yes, a broad brush on a narrow segment. Hundreds of interviews and conversations have formed that opinion.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Personally, a home wouldn't be a good investment for me in the wake of the recession, even if I could afford one.

Housing prices are still grossly inflated and will fall further. Instead of spending so much money on a mortgage, taxes and repairs for these grossly inflated properties, I can instead rent an apartment/condo, save the rest of my money and invest it in other assets that will have a higher likelihood of netting me a long-term profit.

IF I were to invest in any real estate, it would be as a landlord and I would rent out the property to other tenants.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
And it's still an ignorant comment. There are "entitled douchecanoes" of all generations.

I've had my fair share of both 50 and 20 year old something patients who acted rude, entitled, and could care less about doing their home exercises programs in order to get better. I don't see how the idea that there are lazy, hard-working, compassion, and rude people from every age group is hard to understand.

BTW Doctor = Educator in Latin, means you hold the highest degree in your field of study. It doesn't mean you're in the 90% percentile of the human IQ. We're allowed to make grammatical mistakes too ya know. Anybody can get a doctorate degree in a field they're interested in as long as they're willing to put the work into it. Hard-work is what gets you places, not high intelligence necessarily.
There are absolutely ignorant douchecanoes in every generation. That was never an argument.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
2. The douchecanoe millennial segment of the population with a heavy sense of entitlement would still blame their lack of employability on someone else.
That may have been what your point was but that's not what you said. And you still haven't shown the generalization to be true.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
I find that humerus.

As a lawyer and PhD a top school can make a difference, for medical professions it doesn't matter, somebody who went to a no name school will have the same pay and almost all the same opportunities as someone who went to Columbia or Johns Hopkins.

I still have yet to see this turf war of boomers vs. millennials in the real world.
What I find humorous is that a doctorate level medical professional would use the name of an arm bone for an adjective meaning amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment