Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 09:52 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,176,998 times

Advertisements

How would you expect someone to know that your doctorate was in physical therapy and thus the home was a pun on your medical background. Most people that hold doctorates don't have them in the medical field.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:01 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,837,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It takes millions of dollars to run for office. A friend of mine ran and used a million of her own dollars before saying she was done running. So right off the bat, most of these people who are supposed to represent us are out of touch with reality. And once you get in office, you want to stay there and the only way to do that is to get into bed with big pharma and tobacco and a number of other industries with money.
Not really.
This Rhode Island governor candidate won 22 percent of the vote. He only spent $35. - The Washington Post

You also have to remember how many positions run unchallenged. People in office are not out of touch with reality but vs the private sector many do not get it. You have a two party systems with primaries, a unionized workforce, a federation for a state and a budgetary process. This is not simply just cutting a check.

Any group lobbies for influence but frankly the appeal is next to nothing since the major media dissolved years ago. People don't watch ads anymore they skip over them. Who wants to watch live tv these days? If it was just cash to get people in office well in CT it was proven wrong. McMahon spent 100 million on two senate races and lost both.

So let me hear this out someone receives money for what purposes? Companies do not vote and more importantly there's nothing a company can do to assure votes. Any group can influence people as all interests are special interests. Heck Google has a higher market value then General Electric and pretty soon facebook might. Then factor in what is a issue in one area is pointless in another.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,576,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Isn't that better than starting out with
  • Tens of thousands of dollars of debt
  • Tens of thousands of foreigners to compete with
  • Tens of thousands of jobs becoming obsolete (and far fewer jobs springing up in their place)
  • Nothing entry-level
???

How can you start out with thousands of dollars of debt?

Don't you mean "after college". ie, not when you start out. Going to college is your choice anyway.

Plus whole industries went belly up in the years baby boomers were making their way.

You are just such a whiner.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
How can you start out with thousands of dollars of debt?

Don't you mean "after college". ie, not when you start out. Going to college is your choice anyway.

Plus whole industries went belly up in the years baby boomers were making their way.

You are just such a whiner.

The phrase "starting out" typically means starting out in the world with your full-time career. School has been completed at that point.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM

615 posts, read 727,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
And there you have it. ONLY learn things if you HAVE TO - for a guaranteed outcome. That doesn't even make sense to me. All of a sudden they're "SELF MOTIVATED" because they KNOW they'll get a job? That's NOT the definition of "motivation" LOL.
My point was that a lot of people would teach themselves the skills that businesses need, if businesses accepted self-taught skills. There's no point in teaching yourself how to use Microsoft Office if the jobs that require that skill require prior professional experience with the product.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,180,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Exactly! I'm 25 y/o and my parents bought a house with absolutely $0 down. For people in my generation, try doing that now! 3.5% is now minimum (if you qualify for FHA loan) and lenders are much more strict regarding your credit score, etc.
Interesting. I'm 54, purchased my house in 1994 and had to put 5% down - as did most of my contemporaries and people who came before me. There have probably been opportunities for zero down though out history, but they were hard to get and under special circumstances.

So who were these people who had the opportunity to put zero down? Mostly people who purchased houses in the last 6-8 years before the bust... That was done because the US (Bush) was trying to stimulate home buying. So again, what makes it any different for young folks than most people throughout history?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 11-10-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 11:08 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,294,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I can't tell if you are being serious or not but how do you figure boomers made homeownership easier for my generation? My parents are boomers and they put $0 down on a house. Now, the bare minimum is 3.5%. Lenders are also increasingly more strict with regards to your credit score. I wouldn't even think to apply for a loan if my score was below 700. But, with these lenders giving out mortgages left and right, we saw what happened with the increase of foreclosures. Now, it is much more difficult for people of my age to purchase a home and therefore many prefer to continue renting because it makes sense in areas with a high COL. Sorry, but now.

The boomers made homeownership for my generation a lot harder.
We put down 20% -- in our case with a carryback by the owner at 10% interest with a balloon payment in 1987, when 10% was a crazy amount. My sisters put down 20% for their homes -- in each case by saving or buying up with the proceeds of the old house. The zero down is a newer product that failed -- no equity made it much easier to walk away from a home you had NO STAKE in. MOST boomers saved a down.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM

237 posts, read 483,159 times
For those of you who tell me that accrediting college debt is "a choice", please inform me of all of the jobs I can get without a college degree if I can't afford to go to college without loans. A list would be nice! Oh, and make sure they're jobs that can pay a living wage. No retail jobs because we know how much you guys hate it when those people make enough to support themselves!

And as for the ridiculous "THEN VOTE!" comeback - does voting come with a $10,000 check and a full-time job? Because otherwise I don't see how it's going to help anything. Having your voice heard is important but voting is not going to magically change your fate for the better.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
We also put down 20% in the '80's for our home. I don't know anyone who put down less at the time.

Nobody ever feels sorry for the people who were taught to do a specific job, despite not having a college degree, and now in their 50's and 60's, they cannot find a job doing the same thing they've done for thirty plus years because they don't have a degree. To me, experience would trump a degree, but in most companies today, it doesn't. But nobody feels sorry for those folks.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,180,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
And as for the ridiculous "THEN VOTE!" comeback - does voting come with a $10,000 check and a full-time job? Because otherwise I don't see how it's going to help anything. Having your voice heard is important but voting is not going to magically change your fate for the better.
So, in other words, you want everything NOW, instead of having to work and wait for change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment