Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

From my experience this has seemed to have been a reoccurring theme. They seem to be more intimidated, by their most hard working competent knowledgable workers who always get things done and with great efficiency, don't cause problems or drama at work and even seem to be extra hard on them. Opposed to the more least competent employees who they don't seem to view as much of a threat that may cause more problems and drama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
I don't think they're so much intimidated by hard-working/competent/educated employees (as in these employees are going to usurp them from their position), but they're worried these same employees will not want to "wait their turn" (or more commonly phrased, "pay their dues") when moving up the ladder and instead will choose to disrespect the hierarchy they have in place.

Basically, it's politics.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
A good manager is not intimidated by such. Hard workers make the team look good, which in turn helps everyone on that team, including the manager. You're part of a team, keep that in mind.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
From my experience this has seemed to have been a reoccurring theme. They seem to be more intimidated, by their most hard working competent knowledgable workers who always get things done and with great efficiency, don't cause problems or drama at work and even seem to be extra hard on them. Opposed to the more least competent employees who they don't seem to view as much of a threat that may cause more problems and drama?
No!

Bad managers may be intimidated.

A good manager wants their employees to be like this.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:53 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No!

In a perfect world yes.. But reality is MOST places do not have a good management team set in place

Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I've never seen this, personally, but I've also never seen anyone gunning to get into the management position by overthrowing the manager. Both, to me, seem to be a small percentage of reality, blown out of proportion to support a specific narrative.

Smart managers build teams of smart people, and give credit to those individuals when due. I think it's possible that people who don't give credit to others, or fear others, may be a group who were promoted without good cause - and they're well aware of the fact that they're in over their heads. I can't be certain - but that's what I suspect.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
In a perfect world yes.. But reality is MOST places do not have a good management team set in place
I didn't realize you had worked at every company in the world.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
A bad manager who does a bad job themselves may be intimidated as that type of person is the type who just sits back and skates and doesn't work hard. A good hardworking accomplished manager would appreciate a good employee as they make him look better as a manager.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,179,299 times
Quote:
I've witnessed this sort of behavior over and over again as well during the past 20+ years, but also noticed that it seems to be a characteristic of primarily of people born in the early-mid 1950s. Folks born earlier or later than that (ballparkish pre-1953 or post 1957) seem more "normal" to me - that is, they act as if they're trying to put together a great team, and don't mind if that team has some stars on it. Those middle-1950s folks? They (with a few exceptions sprinkled here and there) seemed to be the embodiment of "ME firs"t, and doing anything they could to sabotage potential up and coming employees, regardless if those employees were even a potential threat to them or not. They loved to hire and surround themselves with "C" and "D" players, tolerated "B" players, and would be as ruthless as they could to any "A" players, until those "A" players would eventually get fed up and move elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No!

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment