Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM

615 posts, read 726,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
There are still hiring managers out there who DO hire people based upon potential, but they are more apt to hire people who they would not see as a personality liability.
This is exactly what I'm saying. If you're 25 years old with only 10 months of professional work experience in your field -- like I am -- then you won't get looked at for any good level-1 job. No matter how motivated you are, it is hard to be perceived as so, because you're "old", in a sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:04 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Professionalism.

I don't think people are teaching or modeling this anymore.
We live in different times. For example, once upon a time, every child in America received classical training, as it was an educational requirement. This is not the case any more.

Everything about business (and life in general) these days has become quite informal. What's important is that the job can get done, by any ethical/legal means necessary. "Professionalism," I think in the sense you're referring to, is no longer a trait that's considered vital to most people.

Last edited by 313Weather; 11-12-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
This is exactly what I'm saying. If you're 25 years old with only 10 months of professional work experience in your field -- like I am -- then you won't get looked at for any good level-1 job. No matter how motivated you are, it is hard to be perceived as so, because you're "old", in a sense.
Yes, it is a shame that people make selfish and poor choices that follow them around for years. But it's no one's fault but theirs so you can't ask others to accommodate their ignorance/laziness or whatever caused them to fail to act.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
We live in different times. For example, once upon a time, every child in America received classical training, as it was an educational requirement. This is not the case any more.

Everything about business (and life in general) these days has become quite informal. What's important is that the job can get done, by any ethical/legal means necessary. "Professionalism," I think in the sense you're referring to, is no longer a trait that's considered vital to most people.
THAT'S the thing/. "Professional" does not mean "formal."

It's a set of boundaries. There are some things you don't do or say whether you wear jeans or a suit, whether you sit at your desk in a leather chair or on a yoga ball.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Such a person should give up all thoughts of ever having a successful career.
At this point, so should you, until you get the enormous boulder off your shoulder.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
How is it that people in their 20's make absolute statements like this, as though they have the experience to back it up? It's one thing to get on and ask if others see something happening, but these exclamations are probably part of their problem and makes me wonder if the person goes into a job with the attitude that they know as much as the person who has been there for ten years.

On another note, here is what I've noticed with one particular age group. The longer they are unemployed corresponds to the number of threads they start. How is that working for you as far as moving the needle?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
How is it that people in their 20's make absolute statements like this, as though they have the experience to back it up? It's one thing to get on and ask if others see something happening, but these exclamations are probably part of their problem and makes me wonder if the person goes into a job with the attitude that they know as much as the person who has been there for ten years.
It certainly reveals a rather clueless brand of arrogance

Quote:
On another note, here is what I've noticed with one particular age group. The longer they are unemployed corresponds to the number of threads they start. How is that working for you as far as moving the needle?
Excellent observation. Can't rep you because you said something genius earlier.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
THAT'S the thing/. "Professional" does not mean "formal."

It's a set of boundaries. There are some things you don't do or say whether you wear jeans or a suit, whether you sit at your desk in a leather chair or on a yoga ball.
I'm not so sure about that (not saying I agree or disagree).

There has been research that shows there's at least a strong correlation between "formal" and being "professional."

Is Casual Dress Killing Your Productivity At Work? - Forbes

https://www.acompli.com/work-communi...coming-casual/

Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Your experience and accomplishments with respect to your age.

If you've been out of college for 5 years and have 2 years of professional experience in an area, you look substantially worse than someone who is about to graduate college and has 3 months' experience in the form of an internship. It's not an exaggeration to say that a guy in his mid or late 20s who has not accomplished much is seen as an unmotivated loser, won't be looked at by any top-tier company. In his case, the best thing to do is trudge on until he gets 10-15 years experience and no one cares whether he's 35 yrs old or 50 yrs.

Agree or disagree?
Define top tiered company and what that specifically means. The long and the short of it is frankly those that have the experience and time in are also much more likely to commit fraud. Motivation has nothing to do with it when you look at the other side. It also depends as to what is experience. It all boils down to quantification. If you cannot say what you did and make it relevant it doesn't matter if you have two years or two hundred. I have met people with decades experience but when you ask them to tell you what they do it falls apart like Mr. Potatohead

Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You are judged based upon the candidate pool that applies with you. End of story.
/thread

Why do people think hiring happens in isolation. Companies don't reject you on your own merits, just in relation to your competition. They are hiring for a role, not just because.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search