Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM

647 posts, read 1,524,008 times

Advertisements

Education

Bachelor of Science in Radio/Television/Film May 2009
University of Texas at Austin

Professional Experience

Diamond Shopping Television March 2014 - Present
Assistant Director for The Coin Show on DirecTV and DISH Network
  • Show runner for a live broadcasted television show
  • Communicated with show hosts to deliver a precise broadcast
  • Worked with text graphics, sound, and broadcast switchers

PSAV Jan 2013 – September 2014
Project Coordinator/ A/V Technician

• Responded to audio, video and lighting support for corporate events, shows and meetings
  • Communicated with corporate CEOs and managers to make sure that all of their audio/visual needs were met
  • Served as liaison between field technicians and the client.
  • Worked with vendors on coordinating timelines and project deadlines.
  • Communicated with PSAV sales team to make sure we were delivering exactly what the client wanted
  • Coordinated with other field technicians on the installation and maintenance of products.
  • Inventoried and quality checked equipment before shipping out and when receiving
  • Worked with grids in Helios to see which equipment is needed in future events
  • Installed Christie projectors and large LCD screens
  • Camera operated large events with DSLR cameras

Bentley Meeker Lighting and Staging May 2011 – Dec 2012
Project Coordinator/ A/V/Lighting Technician

• Assisted in all technical areas of high end event production in Manhattan
  • Worked with all cabling including XLR, SDI, RGB, HDMI, DMX, etc.
  • Coordinated with other field technicians on the installation and maintenance of products.
  • Served as liaison between field technicians and the client.
  • Worked with vendors on coordinating timelines and project deadlines.

City of Austin/Technisource May 2010 – May 2011
A/V Technician

• Worked televised city meetings doing audio/visual work including lighting, sound and projection
  • Ran Crestron remote system that controlled microphones, projectors and cameras in Austin City Hall meeting rooms
Technical Summary
  • MS Office, MS Office Communicator
  • Graphics, camera operator, sound operator, projection installation on projectors from 3k-10k, video switchers
  • Application support: assisted clients with support on applications before meetings
  • Advanced level of installation and troubleshooting of audio/visual equipment

REFER TO MY SECOND POST FOR MORE INFO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM

I'm currently in Dallas and have had moderate luck. I'm only making about $32k a year but would like to make around $50k a year. I actually have given NYC a try but had worse luck there than I have in Dallas. Los Angeles has no appeal to me because of the traffic and expensiveness.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,487 times
Eh, unfortunately, my answers would be 1. LA 2. LA and 3. LA. As one who spent 15 years there, believe me, I understand not wanting to live there. I hate the place, but I hate being unemployed a lot more.

Okay, here are a couple of thoughts:

Orlando (I ended up there for two years)
Nashville
Phoenix (PSAV has an office there, and there are other companies)

Have you tried the linkedin groups? There are a few specific to your industry.

Last edited by Golden_Monkey; 11-12-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Atlanta, Chicago and Washington D.C.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
Pittsburgh has a huge movie scene right now if you are interested in trying to transition to that side of the aisle.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
Eh, unfortunately, my answers would be 1. LA 2. LA and 3. LA. As one who spent 15 years there, believe me, I understand not wanting to live there. I hate the place, but I hate being unemployed a lot more.

Okay, here are a couple of thoughts:

Orlando (I ended up there for two years)
Nashville
Phoenix (PSAV has an office there, and there are other companies)

Have you tried the linkedin groups? There are a few specific to your industry.
But isn't LA too expensive and competitive? I think a $32k salary would only transfer over to $40k in LA. Plus I have student loans and car payments. So LA just sounds like a financial nightmare to me.

I've looked into Orlando, but hear nothing but bad things about the city itself.

Nashville doesn't really appeal to me.

Phoenix is mildly appealing to me even though I'm completely DONE with PSAV. I would think Phoenix would be a relaxing/laid back city (something I'm looking for and something LA doesn't appear to be).

Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM

698 posts, read 798,579 times
Here's one, Grass Valley. https://www.aja.com/en/company/careers

This guy who started this business used to work for Channel 10 as an engineer. Then Grass Valley GRoup.

If you don't see an opening, I'd send in my resume offering to help him prepare

for Trade shows, such as that huge broadcasting show in las vegas each year. He wins best of show at that one frequently

And Grass Valley is an excellent place to live.

Good luck

Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Atlanta, Chicago and Washington D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Pittsburgh has a huge movie scene right now if you are interested in trying to transition to that side of the aisle.
Chicago is in a way my dream city. If I could get a $50-60k a year job there I'd be a happy man.

Atlanta has too much traffic.

I didn't like DC when I visited it.

I've heard nothing but good things about Pittsburgh from people who have lived there, but that's all I've heard.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,973 times
If you like what you're currently doing (show running on a home shopping channel, if I am reading that correctly), I would try the other home shopping channels...I know that HSN is based in Tampa, and ShopNBC is based in Minneapolis.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
But isn't LA too expensive and competitive? I think a $32k salary would only transfer over to $40k in LA. Plus I have student loans and car payments. So LA just sounds like a financial nightmare to me.

I've looked into Orlando, but hear nothing but bad things about the city itself.

Nashville doesn't really appeal to me.

Phoenix is mildly appealing to me even though I'm completely DONE with PSAV. I would think Phoenix would be a relaxing/laid back city (something I'm looking for and something LA doesn't appear to be).
LA will pay more, though. They do scale compensation somewhat for the cost of living. It's overall a good place to work and a horrible place to live. Phoenix, by contrast, is a horrible place to work, but a great place to live. You just can't win. I did hate living in Orlando (even more so than LA,) but there is work there.

Oh, forgot to mention, Las Vegas. Living IN Las Vegas itself would suck, but the outlying areas are pretty nice, sort of like Phoenix. I wouldn't mind living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search