Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,973,192 times

Advertisements

I never want to hear this ignorant statement again. Do you actually know anyone born in the 80s or 90s? I am a Millennial myself born in 1990 and while I'll admit I don't work particularly hard because I only need to take care of myself and value my free time and laid back lifestyle, you just can't generalize my generation as a lazy one. Most people my age or even much younger work extremely hard. Many of them go to school and work full time, something that would make me consider suicide. For my generation this is actually necessary for many of us due to the rise of Reaganomics, globalization and the subsequent erosion of workers' rights.

If anything I would say my generation's fault is that we're workaholics. Unless you have kids you really don't need to work more than 3 or 4 days a week but most people my age work extremely hard all the time and are constantly busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
No need to protest. Some people in every generation of late have seen the last as having an entitlement mentality and it's nothing new. There is something of the truth in the perception but it's certainly unfair and illogical to lump a whole generation together under the umbrella. Nothing to get your knickers in a twist over - but if you're at work right now, get your nose out of the internet and do what you're supposed to be doing!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I never want to hear this ignorant statement again. Do you actually know anyone born in the 80s or 90s? I am a Millennial myself born in 1990 and while I'll admit I don't work particularly hard because I only need to take care of myself and value my free time and laid back lifestyle, you just can't generalize my generation as a lazy one. Most people my age or even much younger work extremely hard. Many of them go to school and work full time, something that would make me consider suicide. For my generation this is actually necessary for many of us due to the rise of Reaganomics, globalization and the subsequent erosion of workers' rights.

If anything I would say my generation's fault is that we're workaholics. Unless you have kids you really don't need to work more than 3 or 4 days a week but most people my age work extremely hard all the time and are constantly busy.
Please please PLEASE tell me you see the irony here ^^^ ....

Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,973,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Please please PLEASE tell me you see the irony here ^^^ ....
Why should I have to be a workaholic if I don't need to or want to? I'm only responsible for myself and I have no desire to work more than 4 days a week. I admit that I'm not typical of my generation, there's no irony at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But if you're at work right now, get your nose out of the internet and do what you're supposed to be doing!
Nope not working. I just had to resign from a job because I wasn't able to learn quickly enough and meet their standards. But I would have got these days off anyway. I'm going to Canada in a few minutes

Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
It is very easy to suggest that any person is lazy or group...unless you know the work they do.

I know a women who has decades experience working in the fastener industry. She recently posted this
It is just a screw

"Please look at this as an Educational tool. Being in the Fastener industry 34 years do you know how many times I have heard this? But maybe this will give you an idea of all the processes involved in making a screw.

But let’s look at what it takes to make a screw. First we get a description or a print of what is needed. If it a standard part, it is quoted and then the customer eventually gives us the order.

We will start off with either a Machine screw or a Tapping Screw or I could show my age and say a Sheet metal screw. Please keep in mind that it will take longer to run 100,000 then 25.000 pcs.

First we need material. Usually 1010/1018 for Machine screws and 1018 to 1022 steel is used for Tapping Screws. We have to make sure that heading dies, rolling dies and Punches are in stock. If all is a go then the part gets scheduled on a header. After the parts are headed & QC’d then they are scheduled to a roller. Once rolled & QC’d. Machine screw if plated gets sent to the platers or finishers. When complete they are received, QC’d, packed and shipped to the customer.

If the part is a Tapping Screw we proceed basically the same until after the rolling process. Tapping screw then have to be Case hardened or heat treated and may be plated too. In most cases we can send to the same vendor to Heat treat and plate. If not then we have to heat treat the pars must come back to be checked then sent out to be finished or plated

When complete they come back are QC’d, packed and shipped to the customer.

Now we can change a few things that add to the complexity of that Screw or bolt. Let’s make a Shoulder screw.

Once we get the order from the customer. What Material are we making? Grade 2(4.8 metric) would be 1022 Steel no heat treat. Grade 5 (8.8 Metric) would be 1038 material Neutral hardened. Grade 8 (9.8 Metric) would be 4037 alloy Neutral hardened. In most cases they would have material or would have ordered as soon as the order was received.

Because we are looking at a part where the shoulder diameter will be larger than the threaded part. So this will run on a transfer header. This is where tooling may have to be ordered. So this could take several weeks. So we have to have heading dies, Trimm dies and roll dies.

So we schedule, we run, & we QC. Then if the part have to be trimmed. Parts are scheduled, trimmed, QC’d . Rolled & QC’d Heat treated if needed and plated. This will pretty much follow the above movement. Parts come back are checked, packed and shipped.

Please keep in mind that each operations adds time to the completed part. If the operations are not done in house at the manufacturer then more time is added to the completion of the part.

I hope that you have a little bit of an idea of what it takes for it to be a screw or a bolt. Not all parts are made to sit in stock. Many are made to order."

Obviously there is more to it then simply pouring metal and waiting for it to cool. Likewise with any job there are things that frankly you don't see.

People always see the front end operations of a profession. I worked retail and that meant someone talked to you, showed you where products were and provided some limited advice. Maybe scheduled an order and a delivery. What they don't see is the daily inventory program, the weekly loss prevention anti theft program, the monthly state compliance pricing audit, the daily safety reviews, the annual inventory etc.

Even with jobs that are not physical not everyone understands that it does take time to go over a budget in excel, to make a report look right in publisher, to install an operating system, to go over a contract etc. Heck some might belittle meteorology as just a guy with a map clicking around yet weather derivatives drive much of the energy market and now restaurant, recreation and travel industry.
Introduction To Weather Derivatives

I wanted to help you understand the processes that are involved in making screws.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,858,957 times
There's lazy and entitled people in every generation.

If I were the OP, I'd worry less about what "people" think and more about finding simple jobs to learn that can support their laid back lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
... there's no irony at all.
I loathe generalizations. I agree with you on that point, but this ^^^ . It's freakin' hilarious.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:08 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Why is it that almost every other day we have yet another post complaining about millenials and old people, or posts complaining about the negative perceptions/stereotypes of both?

I get it already, generalizations are bad.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:08 AM

615 posts, read 726,704 times
I'm a Millenial and my every waking moment is consumed with trying to "get ahead." Same with a lot of other Millenials. We spend our entire 20s competing with each other for stable jobs. There's a shrinking iceberg and we're all trying to claw our way onto it. Oh, and all this time spent improving ourselves is on our dime. We have to pay to take exams, pay to get certificates, pay to take courses, etc. There are no apprentice-like opportunities.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why is it that almost every other day we have yet another post complaining about millenials and old people, or posts complaining about the negative perceptions/stereotypes of both?

I get it already, generalizations are bad.

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment