Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM

49 posts, read 72,498 times

Advertisements

Need advice.

I'm getting ready to put in my two weeks because I found a new position. I originally was planning to wait until Monday, but I'm starting to think it might be better to hand it in tomorrow.

I haven't hit it off with people at my job because of personal struggles with social anxiety disorder. The company, and one coworker in particular, invested a LOT of time training me and I think they might just flip when I tell them I'm leaving. I'm dreading tension and awkwardness, gossip and anger over the next few weeks.

If I hand in my two weeks tomorrow, my last day will be a holiday, since I get the 25th and 26th off.

Do you think it's tacky to make my last day a paid holiday? Should I extend it to the Monday after Christmas vacation?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:59 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,860,536 times
Nope. Awkward is coming back from a holiday to leave.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,882,242 times
Default Slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_mine View Post
1. I'm getting ready to put in my two weeks because I found a new position. ...
2. I haven't hit it off...anger over the next few weeks.
3. If I hand in my two weeks tomorrow, my last day will be a holiday, since I get the 25th and 26th off.
4. ...Should I extend it to the Monday after Christmas vacation?
1. You have a written offer with a stated pay level and starting date from your new employer? If not, then you really don't have a "new position".
2. So. Just ignore it.
3. How about this for a scenario? You give 2 weeks notice and they walk you to the door with no more pay after tomorrow? That would not be good, would it?
4. Yes. Maybe even later.

Do you have PTO that you could take? While vacation pay must be paid to you, PTO is not typically paid.
How will they behave? Pleasantly and professionally or will they try to scr-w you?

By the way, your resignation letter (yes, written, not verbal) should be exactly one sentence: I hereby resign from my position as banana picker as of December 27, 2014.

Last edited by davebarnes; 12-11-2014 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
You do realize that they are under no obligation to let you stick around just so you can collect holiday pay, correct?

Old 12-11-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
1. You have a written offer with a stated pay level and starting date from your new employer? If not, then you really don't have a "new position".
2. So. Just ignore it.
3. How about this for a scenario? You give 2 weeks notice and they walk you to the door with no more pay after tomorrow? That would not be good, would it?
4. Yes. Maybe even later.

Do you have PTO that you could take? While vacation pay must be paid to you, PTO is not typically paid.
How will they behave? Pleasantly and professionally or will they try to *********?
I work in a small BUSY dept and there's a chance they might walk me right out the door. I think they will be mostly pissed at having to find someone so quickly and retrain all over again. It takes them awhile to fill positions and the girl who was training me is trying to move up right now and they will soon start looking for someone to fill HER spot. So they will need to now be looking for two more candidates and this might hold her back a little.

I don't have PTO either and since I've been there less than a year, I'm not eligible for vacation pay.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,576,902 times
I'd give notice tomorrow and be done with it. No point in returning after Christmas. They might pay you anyway and walk you to the door or they might just walk you to the door.
Pack up your things, clear out your computer, be ready. And good luck!

Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I hereby resign from my position as banana picker as of December 27, 2014.
If I state in my letter that I resign from my position on a future date (like Dec. 26th), does the company still have an opportunity to fire me until then or only the power to walk me to the door?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,860,536 times
Quote:
If I state in my letter that I resign from my position on a future date (like Dec. 26th), does the company still have an opportunity to fire me until then or only the power to walk me to the door?
Yes to both. But neither really matter at all.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Do not write that. You offer your resignation and tell them you are available until XX date.

They don't have to accept your resignation. They can tell you to go ahead and leave on the spot. They also do not have to pay you for the holiday. Paid holidays are for people who work there.

Go ahead and turn it in tomorrow.

When were you hired?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:31 PM

906 posts, read 713,812 times
lol you're way too kind.
i've simply not gone back.
no notice.
nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment