Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter to me. I'm never going to get a job anyways so it really can't get worse for me when it comes to jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Most of the undocumented already work in the under-ground economy. They are the people who perform childcare, clean homes, maintain yards, often care for the frail in the home. When services are not tax deductible the client doesn't report those payments to the IRS.

These people are already working.

With an authorization to work some may seek jobs in the above-ground economy but most don't have the education or experience to really impact the employment opportunities of legal workers.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
I think this is all bs, but, I have no fear of illegals taking my job. If an illegal has a documented work history of 20 years and a Master's degree, then I'll start shaking in my boots.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I think this is all bs, but, I have no fear of illegals taking my job. If an illegal has a documented work history of 20 years and a Master's degree, then I'll start shaking in my boots.
Yeah because those are the only jobs that matter right? You have to look at the big picture not just be apathetic because you're all safe and secure.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
These illegals from different countries, different back grounds,
and different job qualifications, will take the jobs and get the work done,
as they prosper and move in next door to you.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Yeah because those are the only jobs that matter right? You have to look at the big picture not just be apathetic because you're all safe and secure.
I'm not safe and secure. And like I said, this ruling is BS to the max. It all comes down to the person doing the hiring. Do they want to hire born bred Americans, or hire the type of person who illegally snuck into this country and waited for a President to pardon their illegal actions?

If anything, this will hurt the Democrats.

I'm Green Party.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
No one is irreplaceable ... and there are more just like everyone else.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
People used to come here and were HARD WORKING. They came here for a better life. People STILL want to come here for a better life but not all of them want to work hard. MOST of them just want handouts and/or benefits. Does Obama not think that a huge number of these people he's letting in arent just going to run out and get welfare, EBT cards, section 8 housing, etc. It's really sickening. This country is becoming a joke and it's going to ****. Even where I work, the marketing group no longer wants to show pictures of 'old white men.' It's all about catering to minorities. We have to be so open to everyone...well what the hell is wrong with old white men? Old white men have done everything for this country...but now people want to destroy them. It's not right and i'm scared of what will happen. For once an old white man is not the president and he is ruining the country. Does he want another 3rd world country? does he want this place to be another Brazil?

Some people are tired of old white men...but without old white men this country will suffer. If people want minorities to take over and be the new white man, i'm afraid this country will sink before they have the chance. They just dont have the resources.
I won't comment on how those "old white men" built this country and at whose expense and on whose backs nor will I comment on who benefits most from the country they've designed, but I will say that your marketing department is actually doing what they're supposed to be doing - molding their strategies to appeal to the target demographic.

The demographic of this country has been changing for quite some time now. Any business/organization that wants to take advantage of the resources of all the colors and creeds that now represent this country would be dumb to maintain wholly white-centric, non-inclusive marketing. That's just good business.

As for the bolded though... and I know somebody out there will tell me to turn in my black card for saying this... I agree to the extent that as much as many minorities dream of an America that will be better for them if white men weren't in power, I don't feel that minorities have had enough opportunity for financial and political influence in this country (outside of entertainment), enough support, or enough experience to effectively take the reins.

Contrary to what I've heard many a racist say as if it's an inescapable, genetic shortcoming (i.e. that non-whites are inherently incapable of taking care of themselves and that's why any country/continent that isn't white dominated/white run is an unforgivable mess), I don't believe the issue is that minorities aren't capable. I believe the issue is that minorities aren't prepared.

A lot of political and business grooming would need to be done on a larger scale and we'd need the number of minorities in influential, pertinent positions, fields, and income brackets to be wayyyyy higher than it is right now.

So I understand the fear a lot of white (and white-like) Americans have when they see the face of the country's future and think, "Goodness gracious, minorities running the show? Say goodnight, Gracie!" I say don't worry about it. Just like a teeny tiny percentage of the world's population controls the vast majority of its wealth, America could be 99.9% "minority" and that .1% that's white would still run it lol

Okay, okay, I'm done fanning flames. You kids have fun now.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
. Do they want to hire born bred Americans, or hire the type of person who illegally snuck into this country and waited for a President to pardon their illegal actions?
Other Presidents have already done it.

And many Employers and Companies already employ these illegals today.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
YOu mean all those policies that Arizona put in place that our federal government keeps suing them for have done a good job? Why are they only looking at Arizona?
I personally look at Arizona because it's where I live and it's often considered ground zero of what's going on in border issues (which is only PART of illegal immigration, which many people seem to be forgetting in their zeal to dislike people who aren't European or Asian).

I feel very confident of what I can SEE here with my own eyes and I keep abreast of the research that is done regarding this subject. To respond to the second part of your post, I would have to know which one of the "policies that Arizona put in place that our federal government keeps suing them for have done a good job" and you haven't specified.

If you are referring to 1070, yes, that mess did cause some undocumented workers to go back home, but not nearly as many as went back just because the economy here is terrible and not improving at the rate it is in many other states. 1070 also damaged tourism, one of Arizona's most vital sources of income as the industry can generate more than $2 billion annual in taxes alone.

The second reason we have fewer undocumented people in Arizona is because the zealous Obama Justice Department has deported far more of them than any other modern presidential administration. The third reason is that the Department of Homeland Security has beefed up the US Border Patrol enormously and equipped them with an incredible amount of high-tech equipment that enables them to entrap illegal entrants as never before. Unfortunately, they are also running roughshod over the tribal lands on the border, causing some native Americans to be wrongly arrested (some multiple times) because BP agents who aren't local can't tell a Mexican from an O’odham.

1070 also caused people from Sonora to stop shopping in Pima County. I used to work for a retail store in Tucson that in its final year was hanging on mostly by large purchases from Mexican and Canadian customers. We used to joke that we should have a UN flag outside instead of an American one. The company went bankrupt and I lost my job, among hundreds of other retail workers who became unemployed during the recession. We did NOT lose our jobs due to competition from immigration. We lost them because of a recession largely caused by American financial institutions that were bailed out by the Bush Administration and STILL have not been punished for their crimes against the citizenry and because our state government sent a message to foreign tourists that they are not welcome here.

Myriad studies pre-2008 showed that middle-and upper-class Sonorans were spending an estimated $1 MILLION PER DAY IN TUCSON ALONE! Take a trip to the Tucson Mall this Christmas. Look around the parking lot and see how many Mexican license plates you see. There used to be HUNDREDS. They are gone and Pima County has lost not only those sales, but also those tax dollars (state retail tax in Arizona is 6.60 cents per $1, Tucson adds on extras that raise it to 9.1 cents as of 2012).

SB1070's Impact on Arizona - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

A Shooting on a Tribal Land Uncovers Feds Running Wild - The Daily Beast

Phoenix: Convention slump tied to SB 1070

Obama exceeds 2 million mark in deportations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment