Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 4,720 times

Advertisements

Hi, I applied for a full time job online. I then received a reply from the employer stating that they are interviewing the last round of candidates and asking me what my expected salary is. I'm assuming if I answer well an interview will follow.

The position is for a Graphic Designer in Northern California, near San Jose. My experience is working as a paid intern, $15/hour, at a Film Studio for the Summer of 2014. What should my expected salary be? I did some searching and came up with $45,000. That works out to about $21-22 per hour.

My search results give me many numbers from $30k to the six digits. I would like to land this job. What number is best based on my experience and, of course, my desire to "move up in life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,293,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royals View Post
Hi, I applied for a full time job online. I then received a reply from the employer stating that they are interviewing the last round of candidates and asking me what my expected salary is. I'm assuming if I answer well an interview will follow.

The position is for a Graphic Designer in Northern California, near San Jose. My experience is working as a paid intern, $15/hour, at a Film Studio for the Summer of 2014. What should my expected salary be? I did some searching and came up with $45,000. That works out to about $21-22 per hour.

My search results give me many numbers from $30k to the six digits. I would like to land this job. What number is best based on my experience and, of course, my desire to "move up in life."
If you looked at places like Glassdoor.com, paying attention to location and experience that should be most helpful to put you within the range.

If I were you, I would look for some graphic designer forms and post your expected salary numbers and see what others have to say for that location.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 PM

270 posts, read 274,561 times
Quote:

Is this a per hour job or salary? If not, you need to find out your actual hours and break down your per hour salary on that. Example: If I made 45k at my current job where I work 60 hours/week (salary), I would be making $15.63/hour. Factor in California state income tax and near San Jose cost of living and you'll get your real pay.

I only caution this because I think most (myself included) don't factor in the real pay into our decisions. Not to mention if you plan on owning a home someday, you have to look around and see if this is realistic in your area given your salary.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:44 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,438,917 times
that sounds pretty low for norcal. is it entry level?

i hired graphic designers at my last company for $70k-$90k. art director would make around $110k and creative director would make around $150k.

entry level graphic designers were still getting at least $50k but that was fresh out of college with no experience...most of our hires had at least a few years of experience.

in any case, i generally multiply hourly rate by 2000 to come up with annual salary so $15/hr would be $30k. since that was an internship, i'd say that $45k is the minimum and i'm still a little concerned that you're selling yourself short.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the help.

I said $57k in the email back. I found info on San Jose and the surrounding cities where 59k is the average and people getting out of college receive about 50k. So 57k and if it gets negotiated down that's fine.

Unfortunately, I haven't received an email back so it doesn't look like I will get the job.

Thanks for your input!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,158,969 times
It's best not to be the first party to name a number if that is at all possible. Particularly in your case, when you didn't really have a specific salary in mind. $57K is a big leap from $15/hour.

You may still hear from them though. They probably aren't doing much interviewing this week due to the holiday.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,117,115 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help.

I said $57k in the email back. I found info on San Jose and the surrounding cities where 59k is the average and people getting out of college receive about 50k. So 57k and if it gets negotiated down that's fine.

Unfortunately, I haven't received an email back so it doesn't look like I will get the job.

Thanks for your input!
57K seems high for an entry level graphic designer.

That is more than what most engineers get out of school.

I do believe that graphic designers get paid more in the Bay Area, but it seems quite high.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,438,917 times
just for the future, i usually give a range and also let them know that i'm flexible (if i really am).

so in your case i probably would have said something like "$50k-$70k but can be flexible within reason" or something like that.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 PM

352 posts, read 325,141 times
My soon to be brother-in-law is still in college as a Computer Engineer, he was recently offered a full-time job at Apple in the San Jose area with a starting salary of $105,000 plus a potential of $105,000 more in stock options. If you make just $50,000 in the Bay Area, you're going to be destitute. Look at the prices of rentals there, it's astronomical. You'll either have to live 30+ miles away from work, or live in a shoebox with a couple of roommates.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
just for the future, i usually give a range and also let them know that i'm flexible (if i really am).

so in your case i probably would have said something like "$50k-$70k but can be flexible within reason" or something like that.
That's a good idea. I'll use a range, say I'm flexible, for next time or if I get a response from this company. So this is what gaining experience about the industry feels like

Thanks RVD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment