Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So, would you?
Yes 12 57.14%
No 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:57 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
It's honestly just embarrassing at this point.

I just don't even want to try anymore based on the fact I fail every time. I think it's seriously affecting my self-esteem.

I want to ask a coworker for help, but they look at you like you have four eyes when you tell them you don't understand something, especially if they think it's simple. Everyone sits on a high horse in this office.
What "concepts?" You're the communications Master's degree guy, right? Not sure what you do for a living, that may provide a bit of context. Yes, there is ramp or learning curve in any role. So, what skills related to effective organizational communication are you (or are you not) properly putting to ground in terms of, ah, effective messaging? Clearly, it currently isn't. Therefore, the company's logical response is to assist you with ramp to make you combat-effective early as practicable.

If you were over-leveled on-hire, disregard and quit. Or learn fast.

At my place of employment, they're actually great at training and mentoring on this and every other topic related to excellence in delivery. I realize these days such training is a rare and special treat. They understand there is ramp/curve, and we're hired more for our strategic insight vs. ability to perform a certain task. That comes later. Any chimp can scrounge up a PowerPoint slide. Making it interesting, punchy, and "impactful" takes nuance and unimpeachable domain knowledge. That requires practise and (perhaps) mentoring.

In years past, unless I arrived at a client site for a specific engagement whereby they've ascertained...very thoroughly...beforehand that I DO have the skill-set to deliver value, I'd expect training and mentoring from my manager, training dept., whatever it is so that we all can be successful.

Somewhat separated from the original topic, being looked at like you have "four eyes" or whatever for asking questions is hostile/passive-aggressive. I've never seen that behavior outside of the big banks and/or government, neither of which actually does or produces tangible outcomes other than eroding value. What happened to, "if one fails, everyone fails...y'know, like our customer satisfaction?" My response to that would probably be, "WTF are you looking at, chump? Just asked you for some pointers and counsel how to handle this topic and present effectively to (our) peers. If you don't know or won't help, please point me in the right direction."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:00 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Still here at the office at 7. I finally figured out what I needed to so I won't get kicked out of my committee presentation. That has taken basically most of the day and evening to figure that info out. But at least I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Look the bottom line is cash flow. If your that bad can you do a inside transfer? Today if you lose or quit a job it could take a long time to recover. Suck it up and if your that bad they can and will let you go.

Your answer when asked just say it was a bad fit.
Was looking to do this and saw a position that I was going to apply to, but I hesitated because it was essentially the same thing. I looked a week later and it was gone. I'll try looking again tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I'd rather be terminated and say it wasn't a good fit so I could collect unemployment at least.

They actually KICK YOU OUT? That is weird. Don't you have a superior or supervisor who can help you better present? I mean I'm confused as to how you can be "so bad" they kick you out?!
It happens when analysts aren't prepared for their presentations. It's happened to essentially all of mine though.

The lady who kicked me out was my bosses boss! And all the superiors usually tell me to do is to listen in on other presentations. I've been slacking because they ask you to talk at the end and give your opinion, which I kind of don't like - so I don't really listen in on the other presentations too much.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
What "concepts?" You're the communications Master's degree guy, right? Not sure what you do for a living, that may provide a bit of context. Yes, there is ramp or learning curve in any role. So, what skills related to effective organizational communication are you (or are you not) properly putting to ground in terms of, ah, effective messaging? Clearly, it currently isn't. Therefore, the company's logical response is to assist you with ramp to make you combat-effective early as practicable.

If you were over-leveled on-hire, disregard and quit. Or learn fast.

At my place of employment, they're actually great at training and mentoring on this and every other topic related to excellence in delivery. I realize these days such training is a rare and special treat. They understand there is ramp/curve, and we're hired more for our strategic insight vs. ability to perform a certain task. That comes later. Any chimp can scrounge up a PowerPoint slide. Making it interesting, punchy, and "impactful" takes nuance and unimpeachable domain knowledge. That requires practise and (perhaps) mentoring.

In years past, unless I arrived at a client site for a specific engagement whereby they've ascertained...very thoroughly...beforehand that I DO have the skill-set to deliver value, I'd expect training and mentoring from my manager, training dept., whatever it is so that we all can be successful.

Somewhat separated from the original topic, being looked at like you have "four eyes" or whatever for asking questions is hostile/passive-aggressive. I've never seen that behavior outside of the big banks and/or government, neither of which actually does or produces tangible outcomes other than eroding value. What happened to, "if one fails, everyone fails...y'know, like our customer satisfaction?" My response to that would probably be, "WTF are you looking at, chump? Just asked you for some pointers and counsel how to handle this topic and present effectively to (our) peers. If you don't know or won't help, please point me in the right direction."
That's awesome that your company offer's those kinds of incentives! Yea, every time I ask a question I receive the treatment I mentioned (even from my boss), so I've kind of stopped asking for help if it sounds like a silly question. I have an assigned mentor, but there is only so much she can do since she is in a different regional office and they deal with their work on a regional level. The amendments & constitutions she follows are not the same as where I am, so I have no idea why they assigned her. It is really pointless. In fact, she was the main reason I effed up my presentation so bad! The different rules and regulations.

I work in finance for a big 3 agency and the mentality here is kind of sink or swim. I am droowwwning!! I honestly think I died, was resuscitated and drowned again! A couple of times!

I really like that response to the weird stares! I may soften it up a bit. I don't want to be known as the overemotional woman in the office.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:08 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I had that very problem OP is describing. I worked as a Certified Ophthalmic Technician for over a decade and I was quite good at it. I enjoyed the job immensely, and worked in many areas: testing, surgical assisting, LASIK coordination, inventory, histories, fitting glasses, contacts, etc. I worked primarily with a geriatric population, and I loved helping old people see better. Then I got a job working at a pediatric ophthalmology clinic. That was a whole new ballgame, but I assumed I would do well at that also since it was the same field I had done for several years.

Apparently not. I was a miserable failure with the kids. I didn't know how to motivate them to cooperate with me. I didn't have the extra patience it took to deal with kids; a different kind of patience than the type I had handling feeble, poorly sighted elderly patients. I didn't enjoy going in on pediatric surgery as I did on cataract surgeries. I hated it because I sucked and didn't know what to do about it. I dreaded going to work every day, and I had never experienced this issue before. Fortunately a small miracle happened. I was fired a few months after I started, as I was still vascillating on whether I should quit or not. Soon after, I got another job in ophthalmology working with elderly patients once again. Happy day!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I had that very problem OP is describing. I worked as a Certified Ophthalmic Technician for over a decade and I was quite good at it. I enjoyed the job immensely, and worked in many areas: testing, surgical assisting, LASIK coordination, inventory, histories, fitting glasses, contacts, etc. I worked primarily with a geriatric population, and I loved helping old people see better. Then I got a job working at a pediatric ophthalmology clinic. That was a whole new ballgame, but I assumed I would do well at that also since it was the same field I had done for several years.

Apparently not. I was a miserable failure with the kids. I didn't know how to motivate them to cooperate with me. I didn't have the extra patience it took to deal with kids; a different kind of patience than the type I had handling feeble, poorly sighted elderly patients. I didn't enjoy going in on pediatric surgery as I did on cataract surgeries. I hated it because I sucked and didn't know what to do about it. I dreaded going to work every day, and I had never experienced this issue before. Fortunately a small miracle happened. I was fired a few months after I started, as I was still vascillating on whether I should quit or not. Soon after, I got another job in ophthalmology working with elderly patients once again. Happy day!
You've just described my situation to a "t"! It has gotten so bad that I dread waking up in the morning and I'm thinking of returning home when I am just on my way to the office! I try working from home as often as I can. Good for you for getting the right fit soon after you were let go! That's awesome!

Unfortunately for me, I've been here for 1.5 years..and I know I'm barely hanging on by a thread. That's why I was considering quitting. Don't get me wrong - I'm very thankful for the paycheck! But it's just very stressful on a day to day basis.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:

It happens when analysts aren't prepared for their presentations. It's happened to essentially all of mine though.

The lady who kicked me out was my bosses boss! And all the superiors usually tell me to do is to listen in on other presentations. I've been slacking because they ask you to talk at the end and give your opinion, which I kind of don't like - so I don't really listen in on the other presentations too much.
Cardinal sin.

This is not a domain knowledge issue. It is a "run to the fire" issue.

You cannot be thin-skinned in the corporate world. You have a better than even chance of learning something at a meta-level at these presentations. Choosing not to participate, even though you have to strain every brain cell to maintain concentration, is a very public assertion that you don't care. At a minimum, you are disregarding your management's suggestion. I don't care whether you are in Chicago or Peoria - you took the job and you're getting paid. At LEAST take your manager's directives to heart.

Meh. Maybe you have enough saved that you can afford to sit out the next two years after having moved back to higher-cost NJ.

All I'm saying is - you'll look at yourself differently for the rest of your life if you just passively glide through this challenging situation. At least give it a fight. You will be able to look at yourself in the mirror and say "I did not lose. I just plumb got beat". There is a vast difference.

By the way: you dug deep today and demonstrated to yourself that you can create understanding. That is running to the fire. THAT is the spirit!

Best wishes to you!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 PM

108 posts, read 114,565 times
Definitely , why get paid when you are not doing you are required to do. It feels dishonest to me. Moreover, I would not feel good and satisfied myself and if I am not good then what's the point wasting the time . I always like to do something I am good at it keeps me motivated and ensures my professional growth.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 PM

108 posts, read 114,565 times
try to swim to the surface dear, It happens all the time that you feel like drowning but it is always you who can swim back.
Professional growth is very important in modern era. Things are moving so fast . So upgrade your skills and listen to what others are saying especially your boss. Look around you that people are developing new skills and make yourself do better than them .
Presentations are integral part of your job then see what others are doing and learn from them. Focus is what you need . Do not go drowning and lose hope .
Muster your courage and prove yourself.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:

That's awesome that your company offer's those kinds of incentives! Yea, every time I ask a question I receive the treatment I mentioned (even from my boss), so I've kind of stopped asking for help if it sounds like a silly question. I have an assigned mentor, but there is only so much she can do since she is in a different regional office and they deal with their work on a regional level. The amendments & constitutions she follows are not the same as where I am, so I have no idea why they assigned her. It is really pointless. In fact, she was the main reason I effed up my presentation so bad! The different rules and regulations.

I work in finance for a big 3 agency and the mentality here is kind of sink or swim. I am droowwwning!! I honestly think I died, was resuscitated and drowned again! A couple of times!

I really like that response to the weird stares! I may soften it up a bit. I don't want to be known as the overemotional woman in the office.
Oh, OK. My response was a bit tough, but (flexing own biceps a bit) I do NOT like being treated like a silly person by others and usually hand it right back to them Our firm is notorious for trying to break people who aren't ready...for whatever reason, fair or not...and it takes a lot of "attitude" to even work at the place. So all of us...no exceptions I know of...simply double-down when challenged. Happened just this morning, in a presentation, with some grandstanding guy who thought he'd break my team's chops. I just smiled nicely, stared at him, and gave a corporate non-answer that would make Tyler Durden chuckle: "Oh, so you want me to deprioritize our primary action items until advised of a status update?"

Speaking of fair, I do not think it is fair to let people sink or swim when a bit of mentoring...to whatever degree necessary...would benefit both the recipient and team/org as a whole. That seems like shooting the company in the foot, one toe at a time, to drive people away. If you were in my org, I'd have a behind closed-doors conversation to one, figure out where you're uncomfortable and where the perception-problem is; two, suggest specific steps to tackle the issue(s); and three, assign you a peer mentor whose goals (=revenue stream) included ramping you up faster for success.

Best of luck to you, that's a bummer overall!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:27 AM

299 posts, read 557,114 times
Hmm.... not too much to add here, except for the following misc. thoughts:

1. Life is short... Don't waste too much of it doing things you immensely dislike. Your health is important too and having constant high stress will take a toll eventually. Sure, we all need paychecks, but you know what else is true? EVERY job out there.... EVERY one gives the employee one of those.

2. If the presentations you're expected to listen to and presumably "learn from" are regularly so boring, you can't seem to pay attention to them? Then that tells me you're probably in the wrong line of work. Everyone I know complains about corporate meetings and presentations being boring to an extent, but there's a difference between being able to trudge through them and literally not being able to stand paying attention to what they're going on about. (With most of our meetings, I find people are too long-winded and go off on tangents about topics where they lose my attention. But at the same time, I can stay awake through them and at least look like I'm interested... And at the end? I find I actually did absorb some useful information. I just selectively "tuned out" when I realized they had gone into an area where it was irrelevant to me.)

3. Some businesses (like the previous poster described) do like to approach things from the viewpoint of "let's give him/her a hard time and see if they break or not". I guess it's a valid way of handling things, if your corporate culture wants to encourage collecting up a group of hires who thrive in that environment. I suppose it's a bit like the military approach, where you "break people down, and then build them back up the way you expect them to be". Personally, I know that's not my type of environment (a reason I refused to enlist in the military too). I prefer working as more of a team with a group of equals, given projects by some type of project manager above us, in environments where we're not micro-managed at all and just trusted to get things done the most efficient way we know how. If they don't put some trust in me, I get dissatisfied quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment