Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,973,276 times

Advertisements

I was walking past a neighbors house this week and a thought hit me. This man is in his 40's but cannot work anymore due to a disability. Now he appears to be getting along fine. He even bought a new pickup truck last year. However, he's home every day, so it appears his working days are over. And I feel sorry for him. I realized in that moment, what a great blessing a job and the ability to work are. You get a sense of responsibility and being a contributing member of society. It gives you a sense of satisfaction and purpose to be able to support yourself and not be dependent on the govt. or someone else. So that's my new thing to give thanks to God for this year, to still be able to work, to have a job and the opportunity to work, and I intend to continue doing so as long as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 09:01 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
This is the attitude we should all have. Without gratitude and appreciation for what we have, we're doomed to never being happy or satisfied. We see a lot of that here. People wonder why they're miserable - it's because that's the choice they've made.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,307,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was walking past a neighbors house this week and a thought hit me. This man is in his 40's but cannot work anymore due to a disability. Now he appears to be getting along fine. He even bought a new pickup truck last year. However, he's home every day, so it appears his working days are over. And I feel sorry for him. I realized in that moment, what a great blessing a job and the ability to work are. You get a sense of responsibility and being a contributing member of society. It gives you a sense of satisfaction and purpose to be able to support yourself and not be dependent on the govt. or someone else. So that's my new thing to give thanks to God for this year, to still be able to work, to have a job and the opportunity to work, and I intend to continue doing so as long as possible.
I don't know what god has to do with this or should take credit for it, even if god existed. But I thank you for being a fellow contributing member of society and tax payer.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,985,925 times
Yes, if you have a job you are blessed. Millions do not. Indeed many are on disability because they couldn't find one. Everyday of work is another blessing.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 PM

981 posts, read 1,626,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I don't know what god has to do with this or should take credit for it, even if god existed.
People will see god in anything. Doesn't matter what. And the spin will always be one that glorifies god even when things go horribly wrong.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:58 PM

22,753 posts, read 48,001,080 times
Quote:
So that's my new thing to give thanks to God for this year, to still be able to work, to have a job and the opportunity to work, and I intend to continue doing so as long as possible.

Amen!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,824,701 times
Quote:
So that's my new thing to give thanks to God for this year, to still be able to work, to have a job and the opportunity to work, and I intend to continue doing so as long as possible.

And to be able to have choices. Many with disables don't have choices and have to live with the disability

Old 11-28-2014, 09:14 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,588,653 times
People aren't on disability because they can't find a job. They are on it because they have either a mental or a physical condition that has been deemed, after usually a grueling application process, by the SSA to keep them from working a full-time job.

And that SSD money comes from what that individual paid into SSA during their working life. Or they may have a disability pension from an employer, the military, the railroad, a union hall.

Job or not I am most thankful for a roof over my head, a warm bed, and something to eat. I try not to hope for a lot and appreciate the bare minimum. It can all change in the blink of an eye.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:02 AM

659 posts, read 943,795 times
As a member of the disabled community (not disabled enough where I can't find work) I find your opening post offensive. You're grateful because you have the ability to work, that's fine and dandy. But you feel sorry for your disabled neighbor because he's home all day and can't work?!

What the heck? Working isn't the end all, be all of life. Having a job does not define you. There are many people around this country that cannot work due to a disability or lack of it, they honestly don't need your sympathy or pity. Just because someone cannot work, does not mean they are less than you. Just because they stay home all day (really, do you track your neighbor's every day life to make that distinction?) or do not seem to contribute to society, does not mean they are less than you or any able bodied citizen of this country.

There is NOTHING out there that does not contribute to society, nothing. Even roaches contribute because it creates jobs for exterminators and helps landlords and homeowners gain more of a sense of responsibility by keeping their homes clean and maintaining the upkeep. Pens contribute, birds contribute, that homeless guy in the streets even contributes!

It is my understanding that homeless people volunteer a lot, they get educated and teach others as well. Disabled people are no different, no matter your level of disability -- all of them contribute in some way or form. If disability didn't exist, there will be a lot less home health aides and a lot less compassion since everyone will be so "perfect".

Once again, a job isn't the only thing that matters in life. A job is a luxury just like owning a car, just like choosing to stay home and spend more time with family, or just like coming on here and posting ignorant threads on C-D forums about how you feel sorry for the disabled for not working, as if they are less than you and pathetic.

Lovely to see that true gratefulness and compassion is lost on you.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
Way to completely twist what the op posted so you could go on a rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment