Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:04 PM

139 posts, read 250,625 times

Advertisements

I got an electrical engineering degree. If you want more money, learn some skills that are actually in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
Impossible, people making minimum wage are not capable of more, that is why they deserve more money that many with actual skills get, go talk to the protestors.

By the way, congratulations, do you mind telling us more of your story?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Impossible, people making minimum wage are not capable of more, that is why they deserve more money that many with actual skills get, go talk to the protestors.

By the way, congratulations, do you mind telling us more of your story?
Sure. Basically, I used to be one of these whiny babies that thought I was entitled to more. Just sitting around, doing nothing, and blaming others for my crappy life. Once I realized that feeling sorry for myself wasn't going to get my anywhere, I decided to go to college, work my a$$ off, and get a valuable degree in an awesome field.

Eight years later, and a bachelors and masters in electrical engineering, got a six figure job right out of college.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 PM

128 posts, read 183,046 times
Congratulations. Did you have to take out loans for school? Because that is a huge reason why a lot of whiny babies don't go to/finish college...the cost of college + graduate school is outrageous compared to the payout, even if you get paid 100k a year. Dentists, doctors, and lawyers often have hundreds of thousands (or at least 100k) of debt after school. It's daunting, and is one of the things that keeps me from changing my major from useless Graphic Design to something more proftable and needed, like Physical Therapy.

Also, it's fortunate that you have the brain for engineering. Many people, including myself, are just not that type of thinker. Math and most sciences make me want to blow my brains out. I just don't get them. What are creative people gifted in language, visual art, and interpersonal relations supposed to do that will pay them six figures right out of school?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Most people graduated with about 25k of student debt, nowhere near 100k.

EE can be nice to a point but it still depends on what employer you are in. Skills are fine but if the company is not well capitalized or if the market is screwed up then demand can twist easily.In the end it is not so much about knowing some skill but knowing how to serve a given company, non profit or government agency.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,844 times
I predict that in the next 10 years electrical engineering will become oversaturated and your six figure per year job will be 40k.

Let's see how smart you'll think you are then.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
Congratulations. Did you have to take out loans for school?
Yes.

Quote:
Because that is a huge reason why a lot of whiny babies don't go to/finish college...the cost of college + graduate school is outrageous compared to the payout, even if you get paid 100k a year. Dentists, doctors, and lawyers often have hundreds of thousands (or at least 100k) of debt after school. It's daunting, and is one of the things that keeps me from changing my major from useless Graphic Design to something more proftable and needed, like Physical Therapy.
Why would that keep you from changing your major? Engineering tuition is almost the same as graphic design tuition.

And 100k debt may just be worth it. Minimum payment on 100k student loan would be maybe $1,000/month. But if that degree results in an extra $6,000/month income, that sounds like a pretty good tradeoff to me.

Quote:
Also, it's fortunate that you have the brain for engineering. Many people, including myself, are just not that type of thinker. Math and most sciences make me want to blow my brains out. I just don't get them.
I don't know where people get this notion that some people have math brains and others have art brains. Before college, I had a "eat, sleep, and play video games" brain. Maybe I should have just threw my hands up in the air and said, "I just don't have the brains for college. I guess I'll just have to accept working bottom feeder jobs". Don't confuse hard work with luck.

Quote:
What are creative people gifted in language, visual art, and interpersonal relations supposed to do that will pay them six figures right out of school?
What are lazy people gifted in sleeping and being worthless supposed to do? Bite the bullet and get it done. College is hard work, not a vacation. It's not supposed to be fun.

Oh, and most engineers really don't use that much math at work. I think you would be amazed at how much engineering is more so about creativity than math.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 PM

527 posts, read 708,711 times
Yeah, and you assume everybody is able to study engineering. I know quite few with engineering degree having difficulty finding jobs in their home state.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
I got an electrical engineering degree. If you want more money, learn some skills that are actually in demand.
I'm going to wait and see if this electricity thing isn't just a fad.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I predict that in the next 10 years electrical engineering will become oversaturated and your six figure per year job will be 40k.

Let's see how smart you'll think you are then.
Whatever makes you feel better. I'll let you know when Silicon Valley gets "over saturated" with top engineers. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment