Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 AM

615 posts, read 726,274 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel that way?

The closest analogy I can think of is that it's like being an incoming college freshman and "rushing" fraternities/sororities to try to get accepted into one. Those in the organizations are looking for people who "fit their image" and you have tons of people trying to fit that image and get accepted.

I especially feel like this when I interview at small companies: They're sort of scoping me out to see if my physical appearance and personality will fit into their culture. It's similar at large companies, except they're judging you more on whether you have "top-tier" credentials and smarts.

I guess the working world is kinda like the playground at elementary school. Good analogy? Anyone here have a better analogy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,529 times
Yes, that is how it works these days.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:12 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,164 times
Yeah pretty much. "Be yourself" is the worst thing you can do in an interview.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
This! Who I am in an interview is absolutely not who I am on a day to day basis. I can fake being uppity and bubbly for an interview. Every day? That's too exhausting. And if you don't act outgoing in an interview, they usually don't like you even if your credentials are excellent.

I don't work now but when I do return, I definitely won't be returning to management or customer service.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
Yep. People like likable people, whether you are 5 years old or 18 or 23 or 35. When choosing between multiple qualified candidates, nobody is going to pick the abrasive guy or the dude with weird body odor or whatever all else. It's human nature.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:36 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
Yep.
In my world getting a good job means full-time with benefits and I haven't had one of those in coming up on 6 years. If I got one I would equate it with winning the lottery.

Soon to be 60 years old, top of my profession, more age and experience than those who would manage me, and lost jobs due to budget cuts.

Can't wait to retire in 6.5 years...

Old 12-10-2014, 02:00 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
Amazing.. this just changed in the last few weeks or something!

Wrong. It has always been that way, it just seems more pronounced when you are being passed over. There comes an age where you are no longer cool!

All things considered, 99% of people want to work and be around other people that they get along with. If my credentials are the same or even close to pretty similar to yours, but they like me better, chances are pretty good that they will hire me. It has always been that way and will always be that way.

Interviewing for a job is a lot like dating. On paper, you could be the best catch east of the Mississippi, but, if you meet and you don't hit it off, chances are usually pretty good that you won't get another date. Then you will be going home saying "No one likes a good guy" when in fact she probably just thought you were boring or didn't feel a connection.

Knowing the game is the way it is, you have to make the choice to accept it or not. As I have told many people, when people go into an interview, no one is going in saying, hey, you should hire so and so... They are selling themselves, and part of that is personality, whether you like it or not.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Only if being yourself is a detriment.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:53 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
I'm so happy to be here for this interview. My worst quality? Hmmm... I suppose I'm a workaholic perfectionist who people just like too much. Oh, why do I want this position? Because my passion is starting at a computer in a beige cubicle! Really, I actually turned my house into a cubicle, I love them so much. My hobbies? Reading industry magazines and taking continuing education courses on my own time and dime. And don't worry, I have no spouse, children, or other family. Not even a pet or plant to worry about, so really, I can be here 16 hours a day if needed. This job WILL be my life! And did I mention I LOVE to smile? All the time? Never frowned in my life!

Old 12-10-2014, 04:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Work is a social club and companies are spending big money on BS and cliques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment