Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How will you find out about all of this? Does your background check include details of what they have or have not done since released from prison? How long would they have to keep their record clean, 2 years, 5, 10? All subjective, so you are taking a chance with your employees, clients/customers and remember, knowledge of their past, if something happens, leaves you open to lawsuits.
You can do a quick search in their resident county (and other areas lived) for records, not very hard.

Their references will paint a picture as far as their record as well. Not subjective.

Chance is taken when hiring anyone, if you are hiring for a lead public role then you need to take into consideration how a record would be treated in the public eye (usually not good) - I would think most felons aren't applying for CEO jobs (I could be wrong?).

If you forged someone's record or application saying they are eligible for specific positions when clearly they do not qualify based on criminal history, then there could be liability issues, similar to Texas suing the EEOC for not allowing felons in specific state gov't positions, if you let one get hired it would go against state law and you would be held liable (assuming you were the state HR manager).

My point is people on paper aren't always what they are wrote to be. Either you get a stellar employee on paper that turns out to be a dud in-person, or you get an average on paper person that turns out to be stellar. If you looked at your graduating class from University I bet you would think that the top grade people would be most successful after college, and we know that is far from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8C...4E0ANgJmTYyRAu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdcIfNATX7I

Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
This Las Vegas cop pretty much shows you how to solve the issue for good. Instead of putting people in jail over and over again, just offer them a job. This cop takes the guy to the place and convinces the company to hire him.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I have yet to see a poster own his own stuff -- instead u minimized
your wrong doing
excused your mistake
said "stuff happens "
that is all fine but in my world you make it happen or stop it from happening and that mr victim is why I won't hire u
So let me get the story straight. A person who was either laid off because of contraction, laid off because of a buyout or had their company close on them during the height of the recession, burns through their savings to stay afloat while applying for work and are not able to land jobs because most jobs aren't open yet it is something they did? What about someone who got a major injury from a drunk driver crashing into them or diagnosed with cancer and it is something they did? What about someone who was the victim of identity theft which is a growing problem especially through hacking. Cool story bro, tell me who actually believes that load of bullcrap.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I do not want some felon co coming in my home to work on anything for one. Companies can not risk the liability in case of being sued. Even insurance has liability risk exceptions.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:13 PM

It's illegal to refuse hiring someone with a disability if they are fully capable and qualified. You can't use disability as the reason for rejection. That's discrimination and you can be sued for it and rightfully so. Just because you don't like a law doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. If you are a legitimate business you should have been made aware of this stuff.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's illegal to refuse hiring someone with a disability if they are fully capable and qualified. You can't use disability as the reason for rejection. That's discrimination and you can be sued for it and rightfully so. Just because you don't like a law doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. If you are a legitimate business you should have been made aware of this stuff.
Neither felonies nor bad credit fall under ADA protection.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Well disability does. Which is what I was referring to.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:50 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Well disability does. Which is what I was referring to.
Which is not what the thread is about.

Also, you can use a disability as a disqualifying factor for employment in a number of cases. The easiest being that reasonable accommodation would present an undue burden to the employer.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:03 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Depends on the job. I work in hospital maintenance. We're the first responders for fire, flooding, or people trapped in an elevator. This gives us access to pharmacy, dietary kitchen even after its closed, and supply where medical equipment are kept. At night and on weekends there is only one maintenance person working with no supervision. The person hired for this position has to be a self-starter, honest, and reliable.

How far in the past was the criminal conviction should play a part in whether or not to hire. A drug conviction in late teens or early 20s and no other problem for 5 or more years along with a clean drug test should qualify for a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment