Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
I don't necessarily agree with it, but at the same time, I don't want someone convicted of identity theft/fraud/money laundering to be working at a bank handling my money/accessing my personal info, or handling a company's finances.. As a female I also wouldn't want someone convicted of sexual assault or rape to be working along side me in my office, where I would potentially be alone with them at times or walking to/from the building. I believe in second chances, but at the same time, it's so hard to know... Not to mention if a company knowingly hired someone with a past and then they repeated the behavior and harmed the company or employees, the company would be liable and it's understandable that they would want to avoid that. I think if the wrong-doing was many years ago or when they were a teenager and they cleaned up their act since, that's one thing. But recent convictions or anything violent, no thanks. I also think the credit thing is a way lesser problem, but I can understand why companies would want to keep them out of financial positions/positions that have financial decision-making responsibilities... For other jobs, if the only issue is their credit, I do find that a bit discriminatory. (Especially if the poor credit is due to identity theft by our aforementioned felons :P)
Totally agree. You commit identity theft, you shouldn't get ANY job in which you handle someone's personal info nor their credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Problem: A person gets out of prison and can't get a job because of his record. So he goes back to a life of crime.

Solution: Don't let him out of prison in the first place. As long as he stays in prison, he doesn't need a job.

Think how much our crime rates would be reduced if we simply kept criminals in prison forever, instead of letting them out to commit more crimes. Prison is crime university, where they learn more advanced techniques to commit more crimes, and become hardened to be less sensitive to suffering by their victims.

Question: If we're going to manufacture hardened criminals in prisons, can't we at least have the common sense to keep them there?

Answer: Our society is run by government. Government and common sense are polar opposites.

Therefore, the reason we have so much crime, is because we ask for it, by letting government make decisions about it, instead of using common sense.
The problem with your situation is it doesn't take into account those who use drugs or steal on the job. Having a good job does not stop a dishonest person from stealing (money, property, or identity) nor stop them from using drugs on the job.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM

My uncle used many drugs including weed and harder drugs. He started getting fired for the alcoholic problem of calling in sick every Monday. His addiction progressed until he hit bottom in jail. He got clean and was given a chance at a job. He worked there reliably for several years. His reliability at that job and a clean drug test got him a better paying job. He lived comfortably, married, had a daughter, and reconnected with his son from a previous marriage. He was forced into retirement because his cancer was effecting his brain. He did use weed to help with the cancer (pain & chemotherapy).

Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I hear people say things like, "Well, that's good, because if you don't have good character then you don't deserve a job," or stuff like that. Won't this attitude create a society of people who just give up trying in life? For example, if I was convicted of a felony and knew that I could never have a good job again, that I'd be forever relegated to working at McDonald's (at best), then I would probably just commit suicide.
Not sure if it makes sense but someone with a felony conviction, even if he/she was a mass murderer, serial killer, etc. deserves a good job as long as he/she is able to find someone who will hire him/her. In other words, this is the responsibility of the employer, not the government, to decide whether a person should get a job despite their rap sheet.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The problem with your situation is it doesn't take into account those who use drugs or steal on the job. Having a good job does not stop a dishonest person from stealing (money, property, or identity) nor stop them from using drugs on the job.
Exactly. I am sure the executives of Tyco, Enron and Worldcom would have passed credit checks yet embezzled and cooked the books of their company and sold off stock before they tanked from finding out. Remember not all crime is blue-collar and there are such a thing as white collar crime. More often than not, white collar criminals have good credit. Also as you, myself and others mentioned, credit checks don't exactly align with a good indicator of predicting theft, absenteeism or work. In fact a study by the APA (perhaps the only one on the matter) proves that those with bad credit are actually good employees. http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/fea...r-15-2-106.pdf

Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Here's a situation to consider. An employee steals items from work, sells at a pawn shop for cash, and then uses that cash to buy more drugs. He/she is caught on video stealing supplies from the company. The company calls the police and the employee is arrested at work. He/she is told to clean out the locker. With police standing there, besides more company property, they also find the employee's drugs.

Now this employee had a job and was stealing from his or her job to continue to pay for the drugs. How does giving this person the same or similar job keep them from stealing again? Unless the person has the desire to get off the drugs and goes through the long process of breaking the cycle, he/she is just going to repeat the same mistakes. You can force an addict to rehab but you can't make them want to stay clean.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Here's a situation to consider. An employee steals items from work, sells at a pawn shop for cash, and then uses that cash to buy more drugs. He/she is caught on video stealing supplies from the company. The company calls the police and the employee is arrested at work. He/she is told to clean out the locker. With police standing there, besides more company property, they also find the employee's drugs.

Now this employee had a job and was stealing from his or her job to continue to pay for the drugs. How does giving this person the same or similar job keep them from stealing again? Unless the person has the desire to get off the drugs and goes through the long process of breaking the cycle, he/she is just going to repeat the same mistakes. You can force an addict to rehab but you can't make them want to stay clean.
I dont disagree with that. I just think it is silly that a misdemeanor charge that happened years ago can taint your job prospects. A felony like that, is a much bigger situation.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I dont disagree with that. I just think it is silly that a misdemeanor charge that happened years ago can taint your job prospects. A felony like that, is a much bigger situation.
Agree, but there are some jobs in which certain types of convictions, gambling addiction, and deep financial problems will or could prevent you from getting the job. To go the extreme, jobs that involve handling classified information can be very strict. If you have a history of gambling problems and are in debt then you a security risk. A job that involves working around Pharmacutical drugs could make a drug conviction an automatic no hire.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Agree, but there are some jobs in which certain types of convictions, gambling addiction, and deep financial problems will or could prevent you from getting the job. To go the extreme, jobs that involve handling classified information can be very strict. If you have a history of gambling problems and are in debt then you a security risk. A job that involves working around Pharmacutical drugs could make a drug conviction an automatic no hire.
I don't mind those. They have a reason. The issue I have is when you use metrics like bad credit and misdemeanors from 4/5 years ago at the very least to follow you. I can understand being a sex offender being a problem (unless it is a peeing on the side of the road or young love sex offense) for working at a school and/or a day care. I can understand issues with drugs preventing you to be hired at a CVS or a Walgreens. What I don't is a flawed system like a credit check (which don't always account for fraud or medical emergencies) being used for jobs that have minor cash handling. There is no exact correlation of ba credit = theft or embezzling.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:06 PM

457 posts, read 646,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
That's not quite true.

There is no such law. However, the EEOC has at times taken the position that the use of criminal background checks disproportionately prevents minorities from being hired, and therefor could be a violation of Title VII as racial discrimination. Even then, if the employer can show a business need for such a policy, there is no violation

EEOC Informal Discussion Letter
The EEOC has taken that same position with regard to credit checking. As a result lately, quite a few states have laws banning employment credit checking. Unfortunately those laws contain so many loopholes they're almost impossible to enforce.

The credit-checking thing makes NO SENSE. If someone has a Bankruptcy, foreclosure, student loan defaults, etc, then what they NEED is a JOB, people. Dumbasses. All of the above probably happened BECAUSE they lost a job. Anyone saying "if you fell into debt you couldn't handle, then I wouldn't want to hire you so you could get OUT of that debt" is a rat-bastard *******. And the original poster was merely asking why so many people THINK THIS WAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment