Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times

Advertisements

I started working night's about two months ago. The transition to working night's took a week or two...slowly weeded off of my four energy shots a night. Up until now could sleep 8 or 10 hour's after a shift with ease. Now for about a week or so I can't sleep. I will get one good 8 to 10 hour sleep one day a week. The rest I am sleeping two to three hour's.

Any night time people experience this and have their body start to reject sleep.

Appreciate the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
do you have blackout curtains? They help me a lot, I don't even notice that it isn't night. So my body thinks it is night when I sleep, and just dark when I drive in to work. Then when I'm off, I have an entire day of light to play in (gym/shop/doc office/etc, almost never any lines) then back to the "dark" and sleep.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
I have worked nights for close to 20 years. I find that I can only sleep in the afternoons. Blackout curtains help, and I take a gummy melatonin tablet 30 minutes before bedtime. You never truly get used to it. Most important thing is to remember that you're now on night schedule so you need to keep that schedule all week even on your nights off.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
I'm retired now but spent the last 22 years on the night shift (11pm-7am), i thought it to be the best shift out of the 3.
No traffic to deal with going or coming.
Fewer bosses to deal with,
A much younger work force that hasnt forgotten the concept of fun..
Better job opportunities due to seniority
Much more time in the day for me.
As the shift was permanently night shift i adapted easily to sleeping during the day.
I feel sorry for those that have to deal with swing shifts where every 2 weeks you have to change your shift.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
I'm an RN who works four 10 hour shifts a week. The way my schedule is structured, I work three nights in a row then have 1-3 nights in a row off. I also cannot sleep during the day and am almost always up after about four hours. What saves me is those days in between where I can sleep as long as I want to at night like a normal person. I have no desire to live my entire life, even my days off, as a night person.

Eventually I will have to cut back to 2-3 nights a week because of the above. I'm middle aged now, so getting four hours of sleep on the days when I work will soon take a toll. I really am a morning person, so I will never adjust and be able to sleep eight hours during the day.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,455 times
I had a job working nights and the blackout shades helped and I attempted to keep the same hours even on weekends bt with a family it was hard. but after 2 weeks of being able to get 5-6 Hours sleep I could not sleep anymore.Or i was falling asleep at 12 noon and wakign up at 6 and basically showering and running to work. I had to ask for a change of hours but when they said no I had to quit, I almost crashed coming home from work as I was falling asleep at the wheel . Hard to quit a job but the hours were affecting my health. Again blacout shades helped a bit.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 AM

276 posts, read 330,726 times
No but decline a job offer - I'll rather be homeless than working non-traditional hours

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Oh sweet not alone with this. I was out like a lamb but now three to four hour's I am out and awake. I feel tired, but nothing much helps. I have tried Melatonin but didn't help much just made me feel groggy and tired when i woke up for work. I try to force myself to sleep, exercise, and so forth nothing. I work a four on three off...which really is five on two off...When night's end that is your first day off and when you go back to work night's that is your third day off...working 9-7 shift...work wants to change me to 2pm to 10pm shift twice a week and 10pm to 10am shift other two day's...not looking forward to that.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:01 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I'd go home and sleep for 3 or so hours, wake up and have a normal day. I'd take a nap for a few hours in the evening, get up, shower, and head to work.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM

249 posts, read 458,600 times
I worked the graveyard shift for 4 years. It was very tough on me. Humans are not nocturnal, we are programmed to sleep at night. Some people do love it and adjust well but for the majority, it is a very tough life to live. On my days off, I would feel like crap and I would always be thinking about staying on my sleep pattern. I finally went to the doctor and got some AMBIEN, and that helped tremendously to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment