Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,857 times

Advertisements

I worked in a call center many years ago. That job was so painfully monotonous, mind-numbing, soul-crushing and demoralizing, I had no choice but to develop a coping mechanism or I'd end up in a deep depression. I somehow learned to completely forget about the job the second I clocked out. I even forgot about it on most of my lunch hour (I ALWAYS left the premises) until my internal clock realized I had to go back to work, and then the wave of misery would sweep back over me until 5pm when I would completely forget about the place again.

Fortunately, I don't do that type of work anymore, but the coping mechanism still remains. When I clock out and drive home, work is completely out of my thoughts and I'm free to focus on the things in life I enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 PM

159 posts, read 177,407 times
I dont even think about work when I'm at work.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello.
I think it may be releted to stress of the job, and the fact that when I punch out for the day, I still have cases assigned to me, that will be there the next morning. I have talked to other coworkers about this, and it seems to be somewhat split. Those that wake up at 3AM with a thought about a case they are working on, and those who don't think about work at all until they punch back in the next morning.

I want to be that person that doesn't think about it at all. I dream about work, and often try and "work through" my cases. Since I am now setup to work from home, I have access to my work e-mail on my personal laptop. I find myself checking my email when I wake up to see what I can expect when I punch in (I work the later shift).

Any suggestions to leave "work at work", or is this just the nature of the business?

Thanks!
Lot's of alcohol.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:45 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,156,000 times
This is a boundary you must set for yourself. No one else will, and if you don't, others may take advantage. It's tough to set this boundary, but once you decide you don't want to spend your personal (non-paid) time on work, you can do it. The effect on your health and well-being is worth it.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:50 PM

35,098 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Occasionally I'll think of something about work, but I don't action it off hours.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
It depends.

Tech support for a software company, why do you need to think about who is going to call tomorrow? If you are half way decent at your job, you are already better than the majority of knuckleheads who answer the phones at those places. That should give you some sense of self worth, and confidence.

I own my own business. The work, or at least thinking about it, is a 24/7/365 adventure. I am always "on". I also happen to really, really enjoy what I do.

There are some good suggestions here on what to do to unwind. I garden, ski, wood work and read. If you need further advice, get a book on how to relieve the daily stress in your life. There are tons of diversions which are inexpensive and helpful.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
Only work related anything I think about after work is the cute girl in the next department that I've been too much of a chicken**** to ask out. That all changes tomorrow though >=D

Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I struggled with this for the first couple of years working from home. What worked for me was setting up an actual office in my house. Originally I had a laptop and just had that wherever I was in the house.

Once I set up the office, I would come in the morning boot up the computer and work for the day. When the day was over, computer off. It was hard to maintain at first, but quickly became a habit and made me a much happier and productive worker.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM

532 posts, read 959,335 times
At my last job, we were able to log on and check e-mail from home.

It started with me checking my e-mail practically as soon as I walked in the door. This was a typical 8-5 office, what was I looking for -- I don't know, maybe something from my boss about needing to meet with me 1st thing in the morning, funny thing is it did happen although years later and even worse I read it on a Friday night and then had to wait all weekend, then when I went to meet her at the appointed time -- she had forgotten all about it (a week later I was laid off).

Then I would check it if I was taking a personal day, I told myself I could only check it at 8AM, noon & 5PM -- that worked for about 10 minutes and I would find myself checking it ALL THE TIME.

Rarely called in sick, but if I did, I might check it once -- this was before smart phones, tablets and my computer was a desktop, so if I called in sick, I was too sick to get out of bed.

Never thought about it when out of town, but the second the plane touched down, I had that anxious feeling, what if they looked for a file and couldn't find it, what if to a multitude of things I had come up with even though I had cleaned off my desk and transferred projects prior to a vacation.

I would think about it on the ride home and before even checking snail mail, I would be on the computer.

It was overwhelming! I know you can check your e-mail from home at my current job, in the almost 5 years in my current position, I have NEVER inquired how to do that, I am an hourly employee, take enough phone calls and texts on my own time and don't ever want to get into that kind of situation again -- unless it is part of my job and I am salary.

I don't know how to get out of that mindset, I too think about work and issues on my own time, but no e-mails!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Force yourself to stay away from the computer/emails until you are at work.
Seriously.
Seriously.

I make myself turn off my phone at all vacations bc
a. My wife will have hers on bc she will facebook, etc, so emergencies can be routed to her
b. I don't want work emails to ruin my vacation (this happened twice)
c. For the love of god, people spend more time facebooking their vacation than actually enjoying the sights and experience around them

Now I have designated my home an oasis as well. And while there ARE times I have to do work-related things from home (sign charts - I try to do most of this at work), CME paperwork, license renewal stuff, board education stuff, I put my phone away from me and just enjoy life/living.

I give way too much to my job as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment