Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,608 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure of the answers that I'm going to get but I still wanted a little feedback.

There is a new certification available for my field and although I haven't seen any requests for it on job applications. I think that not only could I learn a lot and hone my skills, it might give me a leg up down the line. The cost is $2200 for the class plus $1300 for the exam. There is not too much info available as far as testimonials since it is really new - came out in 2013. I realize this is a way for them to make money but I'm still intrigued. I also think it could provide some good networking opportunities locally and nationally. This is what I want to do but I'm weary that employers would not value it. If I do get it, I plan to make a mention of my skills that passing the exam certifies that I have both on my resume and cover letter. I'm wondering if any hiring managers here can provide some feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Sounds like a money making thing to me. That's way too much for a lesser known cert. Many well known certifications are much less than that...PMP, CIA, etc. $1300 to take the exam? Ridiculous. I'd invest in something better known if you want a boost on the resume.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:51 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
I dunno, if you haven't seen it on job applications then I would be wary about anyone TRULY valuing it.

That's a lot of money to spend on a certification you haven't seen desired by anyone. I have many certifications, one that was equally as expensive as yours that you are looking to get. However, it is required by TONS of jobs and I see it all over the place. I am getting another certification this year that is equally as expensive (my employer is paying for it, but I would potentially even if they didn't) that will help me in my current position, and I see in job listings for my position at tons of other jobs, so if I ever got laid off, it would be sought after by others.

I wouldn't entirely count it out, but I would hold out until you start seeing it being desired on job postings. There are many certifications that people can get, that aren't held high in the industry even though they seem "relevant" for one reason or another.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,608 times
Thanks everyone! I looked over what the certification "certifies" that you know and it is pretty much everything I do in my current job. I am thinking my time could be better spent putting together samples of my work which showcase that I can do these things (as I mentioned in my other thread). $1300 for the exam does seem like a bunch of money.

I will be looking for a job out of state in the next year or two and I am trying to set myself up for the best possible outcome. Many of the job description that I see are a really good fit for me, but how do you get them to look at YOUR resume and find that YOU are a good fit, you know? In the end, I do think proven experience is more valuable than a certification, unless it's like a CPA, JD, MD etc.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Well, there are some certifications that many do say helps one's resume stand out and thereby helps to get an interview. The PMP is one if you are in that space, the CIA is another if you are in that particular space. There are many tech certifications that I suspect can help a resume to stand out. It's a question of if you think this cert will help yours stand out and if the investment of $ and time is worth it. Doesn't sound like it is to me but I'm not suggesting that other certifications are in that same boat.

Anywhoo, best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,819 times
I know that in the HR field, companies are now looking to see if people have a PHR or SPHR certification in addition to experience and a Bachelors Degree.

Good luck OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment