Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 10,443 times

Advertisements

Before or after taxes, social security, medicare, 401k, etc? I'll tell you that I currently earn $16.50 hourly, and that just started this past Monday. Previously I was at $14.42, and $14.00 the year before that.

I'm not looking for your pity. I'm just telling you about my story and what I really want out of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloMan89 View Post

Ideally, I would like to work 30-32 hours. 30 hours is still considered full-time and would require my employer to provide health benefits, which is what I want.

What types of work exist out there that would allow an individual to remain as a fully-time employee while putting in 30-32 hours weekly, with a 4 day work week?
Bank teller/customer service rep. I was a customer service rep (opening checking & savings accounts, etc) at a savings & loan back in the late 70's to early 80's. I calculated once that I worked 31.5 hours a week. Of course, with that territory comes extremely low wages.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
I don't think you're likely to find what you're looking for, and here's why. Companies prefer to keep people who only want to work 30 -32 hours at the 29 hour mark, so they don't have to provide benefits. If they have to put money toward benefits, they'll want you there full time. Some companies used to call a 37.5 hour work week full time, but that was in a better economy. While there are still some out there that do this, most companies consider full time to be 40 hours a week.

Starbucks may be an exception. I think I read at one point that their part time people do get benefits, but I'm sure someone here knows better than I and will correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 10,443 times
So what you are saying is, it is nearly impossible to expect $15 - $25 hourly, while receiving health benefits, while working a job that works 30-32 hours 4 days weekly...

Starbucks is most likely a minimum wage type job.

It really looks like I "do" need to work for myself if I want this type of schedule.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is, it is nearly impossible to expect $15 - $25 hourly, while receiving health benefits, while working a job that works 30-32 hours 4 days weekly...

It really looks like I "do" need to work for myself if I want this type of schedule.

If there are jobs out there like this, they are few and far between with a long line of people in front of you to get them.

Before you think you should work for yourself, look into how much health insurance is going to cost you each month. The fine is going to be hefty this year if you don't have it.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:43 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:

Pretty much. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and even jobs here that are 4 days/week are 10 hour days. I work for a library in an administration building for the township I live in. The administration is on furlough (have been for 6 years now), so they get a FT schedule with less days. 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday. I applied for a job with them thinking with my library status I'd get it, nope. Very picky, but they also knew I want to move since that's been the talk since I started working at the library 8.5 years ago. Other jobs that have the 3-4 days/week schedule are part time. Besides Starbucks, Costco, Whole Foods and other retail jobs, I would assume most places don't give benefits to PT workers.

I need a 2nd job badly. I'm part time and I want to save to move.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
you not working 45 hours a week, you working a 40 hour week

Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Hospital?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
Most likely work for yourself is your best answer, and even then it's tough to pull off because your own business is no easy feat to run.

You're thinking too idealistically OP as well. You want a higher paying job that only works 32 hours. Well, for most jobs, the higher pay you get, the more important you are. The more important you are, the more your presence is needed even if you do have the privilege to loaf off most of the day as long as you address what you need to. I know a lot of higher up managers and directors who actually work very little hours, but they are needed on-site or on call a ton because they are the knowledge expert or have highest authority. In short, you're looking for something that is going to be really REALLY rare to find.

Only other career that comes to mind is being a doctor, specifically a dentist. I have two dentists in my family and they both only work 30-40 hours a week (take Thursdays off to play golf and other stupid stuff). They both make gigantic salaries. I saw someone mention college professor too. That can work most professors also are bogged down with creating course curriculum, having office hours, and attending other meetings.

Software engineering is one more field to consider, but keep in mind most companies will want you in 5 days a week anyway in case of bugs or what not.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 PM

254 posts, read 458,754 times
The problem is that paying you for 30 hours a week is way less cost effective for most typical office jobs.

There are fixed costs to hiring-- the cost of an employee, rent on a space, computers, electricity, the cost of doing reviews, of hiring/managing, and then, of course, the cost of benefits. When you sit down and calculate it all. These a=mounts, all added together, are often more money than what you actually pay the employee. I can't use numbers because calculating these kinds of things is part of my job...but...let's say its about $500 a week, which is lower than I've ever seen it.

If its $500/week and they pay you $14/hour for 40 hours.

Then their total cost of keeping you as an employee = 14*40 = 560 + 500 = 1060. 1060/40 = 26.50/hour cost to hire you.

If its $500/week and they pay you $14/hour for 30 hours.

Then their total cost of keeping you as an employee = 14*30 = 420 + 500 = 920. 920/30 = 30.66/hour cost to hire you.

If the company has any given number of hours of work a week, the second will always be more expensive, and how do they maximize utilization on your space, your computer, etc? No one is going to want to work 1 day a week. The only way it makes sense as an employee is to either:

1. Drop your pay from $14 to $9.83 to make up for the lost efficiency.

or

2. Find a way to maximize utilization through multiple employees on overlapping schedules.

Just my $.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment