Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No, it's never too late.

But invisalign can't be used if the teeth are too messed up. You can get a free invisalign consultation. I had it done and paid $1000 out of pocket and my insurance covered almost $4000.
(Waves hand). My teeth were too messed-up for Invisalign. Went with full top and bottom orthodontia, to change alignment of basically all my teeth on multiple axes. Painful, but effective: two years later, they were done, with adjustments sometimes monthly so don't underestimate the time commitment. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but hey: as a mid-40s adult, I got through it and in the end have healthier, straighter teeth (Step 1 of 2, cosmetic being the second). More than $6K, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
Quote:
We are so quick to judge a book by its cover that who knows how many rotten people with straight teeth
It's the 'broken windows' Theory of Everything. I doubt they're even forming a complete judgment based on this one very obvious thing: it's just a detractor from the whole.

It's the same reason HOAs won't let you put a car up on blocks in your driveway. Maybe you're fixing it and maybe it's the best car ever, but it appears as though you aren't interested in keeping up appearances. If you're talking director-level jobs, appearances matter. It's only shallow to the extent that it acknowledges that everyone else that he'll be managing also takes appearance into consideration, and if it's going to make even one employee or client take you less seriously, then it's a problem. Maybe not a big one - clearly he's gotten pretty far already!

I can empathize because it is one of those things that doesn't seem important at all. Maybe everybody already knows him at work and this won't change a thing. I'd still do it if I had the money, and I'm an engineer that doesn't care a lot for appearances.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM

826 posts, read 1,125,832 times
Another option if he is concerned about the perception of having braces as an adult would be Lingual/incognito braces. Everything is done on the back of teeth. I have friend with them and the only way you can see them is if she holds her mouth wide open like she is at the dentist. I think they are far less noticeable than invisline, which really aren't noticeable unless you know what to look for.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:21 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
How about something like this? A snap-on cosmetic solution for a few bucks that looks good enough to get you through the job interview, then put it away after the first day at work.

Similarly - some kind of a hair piece for the interview stage, then "shave" his head after the first week.

If prejudice about his appearance is holding him back, fight fire with fire!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:26 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
How about something like this? A snap-on cosmetic solution for a few bucks that looks good enough to get you through the job interview, then put it away after the first day at work.

Similarly - some kind of a hair piece for the interview stage, then "shave" his head after the first week.

If prejudice about his appearance is holding him back, fight fire with fire!
Having healthy teeth and gums is very important for overall health reasons so I'd still recommend getting things fixed up. Heart disease is strongly linked to gum disease. Straighter teeth are easier to keep clean and maintain overall gum health.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
My husband has crooked teeth and is balding. He is very smart but gets very few call backs on jobs. I've tried for years to get him to have his teeth straightened but he won't have anything to do with it. Not much he can do about the balding. I think head rugs are worse than baldness. Plus he has a bit of a big funny shaped head. I can't imagine him with hair actually.

I think the "corporate " look is straight white teeth. He doesn't buy it. What do you think?
WHen I see certain things on a person regarding they're appearance, i can be a bit turned off. Im sure hiring managers are too. Crooked teeth or a serious weight issue are near the top of the list. I just wouldnt wanna look at that person everyday on the job.
And nowadays, many 40-50 somethings look great so your husband might be being compared to them.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
No it's not to late for Orthodontic treatment. Just from what you've described, I would also say he's probably not a good candidate for Invisalign. Invisalign can be a great treatment modality for *certain* types of alignment but not for all. I chose to go the traditional Orthodontics route and while it's taken me 2 years (still in full metal BTW) to get mine straightened out, I'm very glad I did it. I chose at age 36 to go for Ortho because I'm a Dental Hygienist. I couldn't very well recommend my patients see an Ortho if my own teeth weren't straight. Not to mention I was sincerely worried I would have a hard time finding a job. How many hygienists do you see that DON'T have straight, megawatt smiles?! LOL! So while it's been a pain, literally and figuratively, it's so worth it to me in the long run. It could do the same for him.

Not to mention that it helps with keeping your dental health in better shape. I have to imagine it's hard from him to clean all the spaces that his crooked teeth have. Having misaligned teeth can cause gum issues because they are harder to keep clean. So just a thought.

Also, please tell him to see an actual Orthodontist. Nothing against the General Dentists who offer Invisalign, but I've seen things and frankly, it's just to his benefit that he see someone board certified and have treatment done the traditional route.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Yes - most people are very shallow...though it's only been in maybe the last 30 years that orthodontia seems to have become mandatory for kids of middle-income kids. My father was a dentist and I guess my teeth were "straight enough" that braces were never considered!

So how does orthodontia work on adults who have root canals, crowns and posts, etc.?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Some employers are so shallow that for them to give you a job your teeth must be straight, as well as your hair, the shape of your nose and even your sexuality.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
my teeth are horrible and no one seems to have judged me negatively for it at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment