Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM

384 posts, read 507,735 times

Advertisements

Get some roommates! Not sure where this idea that a person "needs" to live alone came from, but looking back, I can't think of ANY of my friends that did so in their 20's (unless married). Everyone had roommates, shared houses, etc. Even the people making "good" money didn't waste it paying the rent all by themselves. Not to mention covering all of the utilities solo.

I'm also a little put off by the assumption that people need to be in "good" neighborhoods starting out. Wasn't that part of the fun. You and you 2 friends share a place in what the ad said was an "up and coming" part of town. Saved on rent, had a decent bar nearby, and went about life until opportunities to improve came up. That's supposed to be the game of life.

Can't imagine wanting to "live with the parents" after college. The idea of that just floors me - shouldn't a 22-24 year old WANT to get out and start making their own way, even if it's hard? And for the parents - don't you want them to grow up and move out. See them become adults, not co-dependent almost adults?

Ok, rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
One problem I've dealt with myself, and that I see in my peers, is overconfidence in their future employability. It leads to rash decisions.
You are kidding yourself if you think that this is something new
Young people always have and always will be that way

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are kidding yourself if you think that this is something new
Young people always have and always will be that way
No kidding. I think all of us probably know Boomers and Gen Xers who've made terrible career choices.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
"I live in Indianapolis and half of your range would get you a nice 1BR. Maybe not the most stylish, but perfectly acceptable. I rent a 2BR for $750ish. Most places not on the coast will not cost anywhere near that much."

Depends. In Boston once you get out of the 128 area prices drop quite a bit. You can easily get lower prices in gateway cities. Providence is cheaper then Boston, I'd assume Portsmith cheaper then Portland. There's also communities by the CT river which technically are by water and are much cheaper

"Can't imagine wanting to "live with the parents" after college. The idea of that just floors me - shouldn't a 22-24 year old WANT to get out and start making their own way, even if it's hard? And for the parents - don't you want them to grow up and move out. See them become adults, not co-dependent almost adults? "

Can't have what you cannot afford on either end. Living with your folks is something that is mostly American. Once you go to Europe, Asia and South America it is much more common. Unless an elderly couple is fortunate to live in a city/town with services then frankly they'd have to do things by themselves and that can lead into dependency. I've worked with people that have had to outright leave their jobs because no one else was there to take care of their parents. Sure health insurance works but at the same point if one person did all the shopping, bills, maintenance etc and they are gone that's quite a bit to take in. It would be nice to assume that everyone will age gracefully with maturity, mobility and quality of life. But that is not always the case. Right now in Boston we've seen the highest amounts of snowfall...ever. 30 years ago it wouldn't be that uncommon to find kids going door to door to shovel for cash. Now the kids don't need it because entertainment is so free these days. You'll find 60+ year olds having to buy and use snowblowers by themselves.

No one realistically is "on their own". You have governmental services and frankly for many to move out only to need a roommate makes no logical sense.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:46 PM

I think moving out and needing roommates to make that work makes complete sense I knew what I was making (very little) and how much could go to rent. A friend was buying a VERY cheap house in a crappy neighborhood, so I moved in with him, paying what I knew I could afford. Also had to pay all of my student loans, car payment, etc. Sure, would have been cheaper to stay home, but then I would have had to answer to someone else - yuck!

Maybe it's just a lifestyle choice I can't understand, but once I got a taste of living on my own in college, the idea of going back to my parents held no appeal (and they are good people, it wasn't a difficult home or anything like that by that age).

I just wanted to be doing my thing, when I wanted to it (whatever it was), and with my own stuff. Granted it was crappy hand me down stuff, but it was MINE!

Hey, to each their own, but to ME, the idea of living with mom and dad (no matter how comfortably) at 23-26, etc. seems crazy! And yes, I personally know several 20 somethings that completely disagree with me.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Chicago is probably a bargain compared to places like SF and Boston, but one of the more expensive places to live in the country overall. And while paying $1K in rent if making $36K a year would be tight, it does fall in line with the rule of thumb that your rent/mortgage should be no more than a third of your gross salary. Most of their friends coming out of school made more than that or lived with roommates.

I found it to be a bargain. It was cheaper than Madison in many ways, and even Burlington VT. Chicago is a bargain. (Of course I've lived in Boston and SF as well).

One third of your net is really more feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Get some roommates! Not sure where this idea that a person "needs" to live alone came from, but looking back, I can't think of ANY of my friends that did so in their 20's (unless married). Everyone had roommates, shared houses, etc. Even the people making "good" money didn't waste it paying the rent all by themselves. Not to mention covering all of the utilities solo.

This. I and everyone I knew had roommates. Generally into their early 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's a metro of around 2 million and the state capital and largest metro in the state. That's not exactly small town USA and not insignificant. While it may not be your cup of tea and I don't think it's the most desirable place either, there are many, many metros in the country where a person can find a very habitable, 1 BR for half the price you're quoting, or just a little bit more. Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Tampa, Nashville, and Kansas City are just a few of the metros that are a bargain compared to those rents you cite.

I know its size. Its big, and there is nothing to do. You named, other than Charlotte and Raleigh (where I've never been to) a bunch of places that are pretty uninhabitable. Kansas City is nice to meet up in (direct flights from the coasts) for people and go on an eating weekend and get out, but that's about it. Nashville is great though.

If you want a nice place to live, you generally need to pay for it.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM

And to take a different path here:

Why would a 20 something want to live by themselves? That too seems strange. Toss the money part out, but don't people of that age want to be around their friends? Living alone at that time would have been odd - and again I didn't know anyone that did that.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:55 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Some of us millenials are doing just fine.

You don't hear about us because we are too busy working hard, caring for our homes, raising a family, investing and living life.
That's good but as the OP indicated you might not be doing fine in the future. I agree with the OP save save save. I still get generous offers from recruiters to take 30-50% pay cuts and not have benefits.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
And to take a different path here:

Why would a 20 something want to live by themselves? That too seems strange. Toss the money part out, but don't people of that age want to be around their friends? Living alone at that time would have been odd - and again I didn't know anyone that did that.

No... Not me... I moved out of mom and dad's and out on my own at 19...
Lived with roommates for 3 months. couldn't stand the thought, so I ventured off on my own -- completely.
Friends are good and all, but I like my privacy. Unless it's wife/girlfriend, I don't want any other adults living with me.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No... Not me... I moved out of mom and dad's and out on my own at 19...
Lived with roommates for 3 months. couldn't stand the thought, so I ventured off on my own -- completely.
Friends are good and all, but I like my privacy. Unless it's wife/girlfriend, I don't want any other adults living with me.
Ok, I can get that. In your situation, you made it work living on your own. I probably couldn't have done it without roommates, though I think I would have tried if needed.

Given the choice between staying at home, or having roommates (based on my budget), I'd take the roommates every time

That said, I mostly had good roommates - I'm sure that makes a big difference. I lived with friends (or they lived with me). People that were already good friends from the start. That helped a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment