Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,615 times

Advertisements

Networking is only peripherally related to job searches. I am not looking for a job and I network all the time. It is mostly about exchanging information about your industry, company or other stuff, to keep people in the loop. That information is the stuff that help you get ahead in your career. Like today, I avoided a project because I was told by those in the know it was a pet project of a person that no longer works at my company, it will likely be underfunded, so it is basically set up to fail. That kind of intelligence came from networking and they would never share that stuff if they didn't trust me, which was because we previously worked on a project together and I didn't screw them over or stab them in the back when the results were meager.

If I get a resume from someone I don't know well, or from someone that I do know well but it is a luke warm referral, I just email the resume to the hiring manager with little comment. If I do know them and think they are good, or if someone I trust tells me they are good, I'll pound on that hiring manager's door and strongly recommend that they at least bring the person in for an interview. The more people that will vouch for you, the better your chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:53 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,542 times
You can't just plop a resume in front of someone and call it networking. You have to speak with them, share your interests, your field, and your past experiences. There is one lady I kept in contact with at Workforce Business Solutions who helped me get the Xerox contractor position I hold now.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
I only applied to one job in my life. The ones that followed were all through my network.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
No. 1 Secret To Getting Hired In 2013

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/28...anted=all&_r=0

Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
For me it's the other way around. Every decent job I've had were jobs I got from networking, and fortunately it's worked very well for me. On the other hand, I don't seem to have much luck with Craigslist et al, even though my resume is fine. And the jobs I have gotten off of Craigslist were always crap jobs.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:54 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
My current job is from a networked source.

Previous boss heard someone was looking for a good tech. He said he knew one. he then called me and told me to call this place because they are looking for good people. I called and though it started as a weekend job (I was happy with my then current job and didnt want to leave) it then later turned to a full time job with better benefits and much better pay.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,295,785 times
I "networked" ONCE and it worked for me, but it was a case of perfect timing. I was moving out of state and had a college buddy in the town where I was working. I contacted him and asked him if I could send him my resume on the off-chance he knew of some positions among his contacts.

Turns out, the company he worked for had just had a position open up, so he took my resume directly to HR and recommended they call me for an interview. I arrived in Charlotte on Wednesday, interviewed on Thursday, accepted the position on Friday and started work on Monday. I had been in town less than a week.

My husband has tried getting a job via "knowing someone" in the past and it has not been successful, despite his best efforts.

I agree with other posters that this is not true networking, though. I have a friend who does every social event in the metro area - Rotary Club, Toastmasters, Meetups, charity work, etc. He does it partly to become integrated in our local community, but also to help his business grow and gain more clients. He is very successful, so it clearly works.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Ive found all of my career positions through networking...most recently example. I was called into the office at 8:00 AM and informed I was no longer needed, along with hundreds of others that day. I go home and open a bottle wondering how I would tell my expecting wife that I was just laid off (first layoff of my career at the ripe age of 29). I sit by the pool staring into the water and my phone rings. Three hours after being laid off a recruiter is asking to meet with me the next day. How did the recruiter get my number? Well one of my coworkers knows my work was good and knew of a very good recruiter that knows everyone worth knowing in our area in my industry. I had a job offer and accepted a week later. Had I not been nice to people in my office this coworker would have cared less about my job loss. Thats networking. Every conversation you have, every after work happy hour you have, thats networking. If people dont like you then they wont stick their neck out for you. If they do like you, they will do everything in their power to help you out. Welcome to humanity, a SOCIAL creature.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Networking is only peripherally related to job searches. I am not looking for a job and I network all the time. It is mostly about exchanging information about your industry, company or other stuff, to keep people in the loop. That information is the stuff that help you get ahead in your career. Like today, I avoided a project because I was told by those in the know it was a pet project of a person that no longer works at my company, it will likely be underfunded, so it is basically set up to fail. That kind of intelligence came from networking and they would never share that stuff if they didn't trust me, which was because we previously worked on a project together and I didn't screw them over or stab them in the back when the results were meager.

If I get a resume from someone I don't know well, or from someone that I do know well but it is a luke warm referral, I just email the resume to the hiring manager with little comment. If I do know them and think they are good, or if someone I trust tells me they are good, I'll pound on that hiring manager's door and strongly recommend that they at least bring the person in for an interview. The more people that will vouch for you, the better your chances.
What you write is theoretically true, but try doing all that when you have small kids and other family commitments... Also, I don't interact naturally or easily with people. Keeping in touch with people I worked with before, but was never close to, is a lot of work for me. I try to do this but unfortunately not enough...

Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yep, that's not networking.

Networking is interacting with people of influence in settings outside of work.

Chamber of Commerce, local volunteer orgs, various civic and service clubs, church, etc. Networking is getting to know other people and making them aware of what kind of person you are so that when they learn about an opportunity, they will think of and refer you.

Exactly, I don't think the OP understands what networking is.

I have known a couple of people who through doing volunteer work got a paid position at that organization or got a referral from someone they volunteered with. For a job that had nothing to do with the volunteer gig, but they showed people they were reliable, showed up on time, and had good organizational skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment