Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 PM

7 posts, read 6,668 times

Advertisements

I sent hundreds of job applications in the last 3 months and still did not get a call or e mail for a job? I'm 22 years old fresh out of school and looking for work but can't find any...need some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:52 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Do you live in Canada?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,700 times
It'd also help if you speak fluent French.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You want me to guess why you can't get a job?

Maybe there aren't any jobs. Maybe there are too many qualified applicants applying for the available jobs. Maybe there are applicants more qualified and more experienced than you are applying for the same jobs you are applying for. Maybe your resume needs some work. Maybe your training is in the wrong program for what the business uses. Maybe you have bad credit or lack a driver's license, or have a criminal record.

There really isn't anyone who can tell you why you can't find a job, except maybe the personnel department where you have applied. It's not like you've given us any information to work with. For all I know, it's because you forgot to put your phone number on your application. No, that's not really being sarcastic. I get calls all the time from people who hope for a call back, but I can't call them because they don't leave a phone number where I can reach them.

Try going over your own resume very carefully and see if it can be improved. Resumes are sometimes screened mechanically the first time, so make sure yours contains the right key words to get past the computer screening. Get someone knowledgeable to go over your resume and to make suggestions for changes that might help you at least get that first interview.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
My cousin is a front end developer in Canada. He does not speak French, and he started out doing remote work while in the Phillippines. This built up his portfolio. You aren't getting work because you are fresh out of college with probably no work experience or portfolio. You gotta do your own work for people.

Do you have sample websites to show us? You should give sample websites in your cover letter to show your capability.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
If the only front end development you have to show was a college exercise, it's not going to entice anybody.

Look for some internships or taking on small assignments from small businesses. It's going to depend on your education and grades too. The top students will be chosen over the others.

If you are applying for hundreds of jobs, you are just spamming your resume. It's doubtful that are you are a great fit all these jobs with such a high number of applications. The resume is likely not customized for each job position.

When I hunt for jobs, I apply for 2-3 a week.

Stop spamming resumes and spend real effort on customizing your resume for the jobs that are a good fit.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
like JTE said about this friend, is there a reason you have to work for a Canadian company? I'd imagine many tech jobs like that front end thing (sorry, I don't know what it means, webpages?) couldn't be done remotely using the internet.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
I'm surprised to hear there were even hundreds of front end jobs listed in Montreal.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:36 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james9266 View Post
I sent hundreds of job applications in the last 3 months and still did not get a call or e mail for a job? I'm 22 years old fresh out of school and looking for work but can't find any...need some help.
The portfolio makes a difference for those without professional experience.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:00 PM

615 posts, read 725,719 times
I work as a Front-End Developer and my problem in getting another jobs is that all the ones listed as "Front-End Developer" are actually, when you read the description, looking for someone who has experience with the full-stack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment