Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:11 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Balance doesn't mean 50/50. For instance, balanced gut flora certainly doesn't work that way.

Besides, assuming 8 hours sleep, in terms of waking hours, 8 hours work day actually is 50%.

Happy now? Or is sleep just a frivolous luxury for lazy bums?
Who needs sleep? Just use meth so you can stay up for days on end. Seems to work well for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Ok, so even though the work hours are not balanced with off work hours, you arbitrarily call it "work life balance". That pretty much confirms what I thought.
Well, no, it's not arbitrary. You're still operating under the false assumption that something that is balanced needs to be equal in all parts.

Think of a balanced diet. You shouldn't eat equal amounts of complex carbs, proteins and fats. Balance doesn't mean equal, it means the right percentage of various things for an optimal outcome.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, no, it's not arbitrary. You're still operating under the false assumption that something that is balanced needs to be equal in all parts.

Think of a balanced diet. You shouldn't eat equal amounts of complex carbs, proteins and fats. Balance doesn't mean equal, it means the right percentage of various things for an optimal outcome.
I wonder if OP eats the same amount of salt as carbs and protein.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 PM

139 posts, read 250,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Balance doesn't mean 50/50. For instance, balanced gut flora certainly doesn't work that way.

Besides, assuming 8 hours sleep, in terms of waking hours, 8 hours work day actually is 50%.

Happy now? Or is sleep just a frivolous luxury for lazy bums?
It's not called "work life sleep balance", it's called "work life balance". But even if you deduct sleeping time, what about weekends? Still not equal amounts of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why are you fixated on the 84:84 thing? Balance implies different things to different people. Just about everybody will agree that 84 hours of work per week is simply crazy. But if you want to work that schedule yourself and call it balanced, go right ahead.

Dumbest thing I ever read.
I never said people should work 84 hours a week. I'm saying that you shouldn't call it balanced if it's not balanced. Why do people on this forum constantly argue with things that people never even say in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Ok, so let's back off from the 84:84 ratio just for the sake of argument. Do you really consider 40:128 to be "balanced"? And more than 40 hours per week implies some kind of disproportionate amount of time allocated to work?

I'm not trying to say that everyone should work more that 40 hours per week. I'm just saying that the description "work life balance" seem arbitrary and misleading.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
It's not called "work life sleep balance", it's called "work life balance". But even if you deduct sleeping time, what about weekends? Still not equal amounts of time.

I never said people should work 84 hours a week. I'm saying that you shouldn't call it balanced if it's not balanced. Why do people on this forum constantly argue with things that people never even say in the first place?

Ok, so let's back off from the 84:84 ratio just for the sake of argument. Do you really consider 40:128 to be "balanced"? And more than 40 hours per week implies some kind of disproportionate amount of time allocated to work?

I'm not trying to say that everyone should work more that 40 hours per week. I'm just saying that the description "work life balance" seem arbitrary and misleading.
You said it's heavily weighted towards leisure time. Most of us are pointing out that it is not. You get more than 40 hours of LEISURE time a week?
Weekends included, I'd say I maybe get around 30? (2 per weekday, 10 per day on weekends)

Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
You're focused on work life balance but why should living be 50% work and 50% life? Life encompasses a lot of different things. Sleep, eating, taking care of oneself, taking care of others, relaxation, education, financial planning, etc. Work is just one part of life. Honestly most work because they need to for money. It's why so many retire after working most of their lives. A lot of people work more than is required for them to financially survive and that's fine. Some never truly retire. They don't like being idle and it suits them just fine to have projects and the like to keep them occupied and that's great. It makes them happy. I'm happy with my work life balance. I have enough money, don't need to work anymore than I already do at this time of my life and I enjoy my time off, it allows me to take care of pressing issues and relax. As long as financial needs are met, it really doesn't matter and can differ from person to person. For me, work is just a small part of my life. Necessary (and keeps me from being bored) but far from the most important thing in my life.

As for 40 hours, well for a 5 day work week that's 8 hours a day or 1/3rd of a day. That ideally leaves 8 hours for sleep and 8 hours for everything else. Of course it doesn't always work like that. For me it's about 1.5 hours total driving, .5 hours for lunch. .5 hours getting ready for work so that's 10.5 hours ultimately wrapped up in work. That leaves 8 hours of sleep and 5.5 hours of relaxation. 5.5 hours to take care of things, cook dinner, get groceries (not everyday obviously), meet up with people, work out, watch tv, etc. It ends up being a nice balance. I don't want work to consume my life and right now it doesn't.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
OP, you don't work full-time, do you?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
OP, do you believe that a person should work about 80 hours of work per week?

At 24 hours a week, and 7 days a week, you have 168 hours
Let's say you sleep 7 hours a day, you are down to 119 before work.
If you work 80 hours a week, you are now down to 39 hours.
Now say your transit is an hour and you work 6 days a week, you now are down to 27 hours a week.
27 hours may seem like a lot but remember you have to cook, clean, get food, do laundry, workout, seasonal errands (taxes, healthcare sign-up,) etc. and any leisure activities. Not all you can do at the same time.

Compare this to 60, you still have 119 before working. but now you have an additional 20 hours a week making you have 47 hours of free time. At a forty hour week, you now have 67 hours of free time.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
A balance implies equal proportions. Wouldn't a real work life balance be 84 hours work and 84 hours life? Instead of calling it a work life balance, why don't they call it what it really is? A schedule heavily weighted towards leisure time.
Here's an idea. You pilot this 50/50 "work life balance" program for a few years and write a book about how it went.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 PM

139 posts, read 250,758 times
Do you guys even read what's posted? Show me where I said someone should work 84 hours per week. No wonder so many of you complain about not being able to find a better job. Your lack of reading comprehension is just mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment