Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Do you guys even read what's posted? Show me where I said someone should work 84 hours per week. No wonder so many of you complain about not being able to find a better job. Your lack of reading comprehension is just mind boggling.

Where did anyone say that you said someone should work 84 hours a week? The only post that mentions 84 is your reference to 84:84.

If you're talking about mkpunk's post, I think he's trying to do some math based on what it seems you're implying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Don't complain about the reading comprehension of others. You are the one who doesn't understand that a balance doesn't have to be 50:50.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 PM

139 posts, read 250,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where did anyone say that you said someone should work 84 hours a week? The only post that mentions 84 is your reference to 84:84.

If you're talking about mkpunk's post, I think he's trying to do some math based on what it seems you're implying.
The two following posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why are you fixated on the 84:84 thing? Balance implies different things to different people. Just about everybody will agree that 84 hours of work per week is simply crazy. But if you want to work that schedule yourself and call it balanced, go right ahead.

Dumbest thing I ever read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Here's an idea. You pilot this 50/50 "work life balance" program for a few years and write a book about how it went.
I just asked why something is named the way it is and why I don't think that name makes sense. And then these people act like I told them they need to start working more hours.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Okay, I missed the first post, but don't know why you're citing the second one.

Not a big deal. We've done our job in trying to explain things to you and I guess we're done doing that.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 PM

518 posts, read 872,108 times
There is this bizarre trend where people seem to take extreme pride in working as many hours as possible. Like a badge of honor. Must be an American thing and I don't get it. Do you not realize those are hours of your precious life you will never get back?

Most people want to enjoy their life and not have it pass them by as they work non-stop. They want balance. Anything more than 40 hours a week, regularly, you lose that.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Like I said in the first answer OP(which you've completed ignored by the way) a balance does not mean everything can be divided 50/50. It's a balance of value and prioritization.

You want to really know why it's called balance? Diminishing returns. Working 84 hours as you put forth in your original post would not be balanced because working 84 hours vs 83 does not provide the same benefit that having an extra hour for of "life" purposes would provide at that point.

It's balanced in terms of VALUE. Not HOURS.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
I worked 6 days last month, 8 in Dec, 7 month prior. I don't know how you folks do it. I make around $100k + 16% 401k match.

Yeah I could make another $30k more working 18 days a month but why?!!

It's all about living within your means to enjoy the max time you can make for yourself. Screw the corp, and the boss. You're only young once, the key is to enjoy your young age.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Weekly working hours were reduced to 35 in many advanced countries. In contrast, after decades of progress, America regressed to 1900 in many aspects related to labor and employment. I consider the "new" trend of expecting a worker to perform the job of 2 even more disturbing.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Do you guys even read what's posted? Show me where I said someone should work 84 hours per week. No wonder so many of you complain about not being able to find a better job. Your lack of reading comprehension is just mind boggling.
First off, nice ad hom attack there that is unneeded. Second off, I'll bold from the original post.

Quote:
A balance implies equal proportions. Wouldn't a real work life balance be 84 hours work and 84 hours life? Instead of calling it a work life balance, why don't they call it what it really is? A schedule heavily weighted towards leisure time.
You were the one that brought the equal split into the mix. As I showed in my post (which MPowering correctly stated was me showing the conundrum of the balance you brought up through math) while working 80 hours a week, you only allow yourself 27 hours of non-work, non-sleep, non-transit, "leisure time" that includes mostly errands taking up that time and not going to sport events, dating, family, hanging out, or even "team functions" at a bar after hours with co-workers. Eventually one will cut sleep just to keep up and with that, they will just run themselves further into the ground mentally and physically or in the most serious cases, commit suicide. And that's if you are single, forget having kids or a dating life if you work a "balanced life of equal proportions" because there would be no way to do that.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,837 times
Wasn't this battle already fought during the turn of the century? I work with some foreign companies, and somehow they can remain competitive powers with many of them having 6 weeks of vacation and things like six months leave when kids are born.

That being said, not against squids slaving themselves to death, nor am I against people working almost every waking moment during certain seasons of life. Hard work is often rewarded, as it should be. The worker protections in place though were hard fought and won, at least they were. Enjoy them while they last if you are making the type of money where you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment