Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM

38 posts, read 42,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
If her self-imposed deadline was this Friday, I wouldn't email her before then. But nothing wrong with following up next week. These people saying you'll look desperate are foolish. Companies like candidates who show initiative. During my last job search I followed up with the CEO a couple weeks after my last interview with them. They were dealing with legal issues of letting the person they were replacing go but it was taking awhile. I wanted to let them know I was still very interested because I was actively interviewing elsewhere. It couldn't have had too much of a negative effect because I got the job.

Sounds like good advice. She said she'd like to have it wrapped up by this Friday. Anyone in the business world will tell you it often takes longer than the hiring manager wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarr72285 View Post
Sounds like good advice. She said she'd like to have it wrapped up by this Friday. Anyone in the business world will tell you it often takes longer than the hiring manager wants.
Or at least the advice you were looking for.

Note - this advice came from someone who was hired, not a hiring manager.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 AM

Maybe tomorrow would be a good time to follow up. Last Wednesday, the hiring manager said she hoped to have the process wrapped up by this past Friday. I haven't gotten an email from the corporate recruiter saying they went with somebody else. Plus the position is still posted on the corporate website. And I logged into the applicant tracking system and all it says is, "You are currently being considered for this position." I'm thinking of sending an email to the hiring manager. That's a lot less pushy than a phone call. I will just reiterate that I am still very interested in the position and would love to get a chance to join her team. Keep it short and sweet.

Last edited by MCarr72285; 03-01-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 02:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Or at least the advice you were looking for.

Note - this advice came from someone who was hired, not a hiring manager.
Note - I'm also a hiring manager. I don't look at it as desperation at all if applicants follow up, and I would bet the majority are like me. First, it shows they're interested. Second, it shows they have initiative. Now this doesn't mean daily emails. But the OP should absolutely follow up if he/she doesn't hear anything back soon, considering the hiring manager said she wanted to be done with the process 2 days ago. Why would you go on a job interview and then never follow up if you heard nothing back? Very strange

Old 03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Last Wednesday morning, I interviewed for a Staff Accountant position at a growing company. I have several years of prior accounting experience. I met with the assistant controller. The first thing she said to me when we sat down was, "You have a terrific background." We spent almost an hour together, maybe about 50 minutes. I asked her how I stacked up compared to other candidates, she said, "You are the second person. We interviewed the first on Monday and it wasn't a fit, so already told him he isn't being considered. We have 2 more candidates. One on Friday, the other hasn't been scheduled yet. Ideally, I would like to have this process wrapped up by next Friday." I asked if there would be a second interview, and she said she'd see if the controller was available, then it would be a one shot deal. I asked her if she had any concerns about me, and she said, "My only concern is that the rest of the team might be worried if someone comes on board with a lot more experience than they have. But, honestly, that is a very small concern." She also said it was good that I had more experience because I could help her more with the high level work. At the end, when we realized we'd talking for almost an hour, she said, "You did most of the talking. On most interviews, I do." Then I met with the senior accountant for about 15 minutes. She was pretty quiet. The controller wasn't available.

That night, I sent the assistant controller a nice thank you email and I wanted to send one to the senior accountant too, but didn't have her email address, so I emailed the corporate recruiter and asked for her email. She didn't respond until Friday, and said the senior accountant didn't want her email address shared during the process, but I could send her the note and she would forward it to her, which I did Friday night. On Friday, the corporate recruiter said they'd probably have an answer within the next week or 2.

My question is, when is it the right time to follow up? I know from reading interview advice that the hiring process often takes longer than the hiring manager expects, so I shouldn't read too much into her saying she wanted to have the process wrapped up by this Friday. It seems like a really great opportunity. I don't think she would have spent almost an hour with me if it wasn't going well. And she told me that the first candidate had already been told he wasn't being considered. I never got that email, so obviously I am in the running. I was thinking of sending a second email just letting her know that I am still very interested. It will show initiative.

Email the person who gave you the card tonight and maybe she will get the email first thing in the morning. Whatever you do don't call just use email because the person won't be put on the spot.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Maybe tomorrow would be a good time to follow up. Last Wednesday, the hiring manager said she hoped to have the process wrapped up by this past Friday. I haven't gotten an email from the corporate recruiter saying they went with somebody else. Plus the position is still posted on the corporate website. And I logged into the applicant tracking system and all it says is, "You are currently being considered for this position." I'm thinking of sending an email to the hiring manager. That's a lot less pushy than a phone call. I will just reiterate that I am still very interested in the position and would love to get a chance to join her team. Keep it short and sweet.
I suggest you wait several more days. Showing initiative is one thing but a third follow-up can easily be interpreted as annoying and desperate. They know you want the job and there's no point hammering it home.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM

I followed up last night. I sent the hiring manager an email. I kept it short and sweet. I said that I was still very interested in the position and very excited about the prospect of joining her team. I didn't hear anything back from either her or the recruiter. That could mean I'm still in the running. I think that if she had already moved forward with another candidate, she would have responded and said so, or had the recruiter send me the standard canned email saying so. Anyway, I won't follow up any more. Once is enough. After that is being pushy.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
I followed up last night. I sent the hiring manager an email. I kept it short and sweet. I said that I was still very interested in the position and very excited about the prospect of joining her team. I didn't hear anything back from either her or the recruiter. That could mean I'm still in the running. I think that if she had already moved forward with another candidate, she would have responded and said so, or had the recruiter send me the standard canned email saying so. Anyway, I won't follow up any more. Once is enough. After that is being pushy.
Yes please no more following up after that last email because you would come across as a pest. I only followed up once after the thank you email for the job I have now and was not going to contact them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search