Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I go in with no notes and just want to see how these technical people react. They are used to technical questions - they are not used to questions like I asked today "you live in an area that I feel is preferable to our current location, in weather, in economy, and in things to do outside of work. Why do you want to move here?" She had a completely shocked look on her face.
Quote:
I'll directly address your foolish question. I attempted to break some ice with some small talk about where she went to graduate school. When I originally received the resume, her phone number was my hometown's area code. This is really odd for a tech role. She went to a school in that area code, and I simply tried saying "hey, I noticed your area code was "XXX." I grew up about two hours from there." I really wanted her to say something about the area, just to make her seem more human after that ridiculously stodgy resume. I got no response at all, much less an intelligent response. I would have been fine with "oh, cool." A normal person would have at least exchanged a sentence or two about the area. I couldn't even get that much. If you can't exchange a simple bit of casual talk with the interviewer, what's to make me believe you can make a few minutes of casual small talk on a weekly client call? Nothing.

My reasoning is if she can't make small talk with me, when I throw the bait, she can't do so with clients. Like I said, this position requires some degree of relationship management. This is not a relationship management position, but if you are totally inept in this regard, it will show.

We discussed nothing about family or marital life. You, stupidly, inferred that. I didn't even think of going there, it wasn't on my mind at all. I looked up her Facebook and she seems a lot more lively/normal there. We are currently an office of nine men and one woman, but we also had a Muslim woman employed until the last two months who was very family oriented. The hiring manager is far more flexible about teleworking than the official company policy provides for - as he has kids and a family himself. This is not some hard ass autocracy.
Looks like I really touched a nerve here. Sounds like you're trying to walk back the story. Based on your earlier post, you weren't throwing the bait, you were setting a trap see "how these technical people react."

I neither asked a "foolish question" nor did I "stupidly infer" anything. I made several statements, but not a question. And as for the inference, again I was merely pointing out that it doesn't matter what was in your mind at all; it's what the person you are interviewing perceives it as that matters.

Oh, and judging by your reaction, I wonder what "fit" really means in your company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM

436 posts, read 421,175 times
So, hiring managers... If one works his or her tail off to get educated, is polite and well mannered but isn't extroverted or socially smooth... Let's even say they're socially awkward... Should they just assume they won't get a job in today's marketplace? Mayve not a job working with clients, necessarily, but just in general - since everyone needs to have that "work personality" down? Are there enough jobs for reserved introverts to go around?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:24 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The "it" factor? What the hell is the workplace now?? American Idol?

Im sorry tired of the hiring process revolving around whether or not the candidate is Miss or Mr. Congeniality
It's isn't just the hiring process. Promotions and simply keeping your job have a lot to do with popularity.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
I'll directly address your foolish question. I attempted to break some ice with some small talk about where she went to graduate school. When I originally received the resume, her phone number was my hometown's area code. This is really odd for a tech role. She went to a school in that area code, and I simply tried saying "hey, I noticed your area code was "XXX." I grew up about two hours from there." I really wanted her to say something about the area, just to make her seem more human after that ridiculously stodgy resume. I got no response at all, much less an intelligent response. I would have been fine with "oh, cool." A normal person would have at least exchanged a sentence or two about the area. I couldn't even get that much. If you can't exchange a simple bit of casual talk with the interviewer, what's to make me believe you can make a few minutes of casual small talk on a weekly client call? Nothing.

My reasoning is if she can't make small talk with me, when I throw the bait, she can't do so with clients. Like I said, this position requires some degree of relationship management. This is not a relationship management position, but if you are totally inept in this regard, it will show.

We discussed nothing about family or marital life. You, stupidly, inferred that. I didn't even think of going there, it wasn't on my mind at all. I looked up her Facebook and she seems a lot more lively/normal there. We are currently an office of nine men and one woman, but we also had a Muslim woman employed until the last two months who was very family oriented. The hiring manager is far more flexible about teleworking than the official company policy provides for - as he has kids and a family himself. This is not some hard ass autocracy.
Have you considered that maybe she hated the area that you lived in? Maybe she was assaulted there, or bullied, or just despised the weather? It certainly wouldn't be a plus in an interview to mention those things.

Why does an office with ten employees require 8 to 10 individual interviews with a perspective employee?

Is the position tech support for a product you sell or lease? If not, why are would there be any relationship management?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
She should have been hired. You know I never get this, you want someone with a stellar resume and experience, but when one comes along, personality becomes the deciding factor.

Companies and managers always moving the goal posts.

No one is perfect, employers should hire and shut up!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
She should have been hired. You know I never get this, you want someone with a stellar resume and experience, but when one comes along, personality becomes the deciding factor.

Companies and managers always moving the goal posts.

No one is perfect, employers should hire and shut up!
I'm pretty sure the employer will hire. It's not as if companies are vesting time in searching for candidates without hiring anyone. With unemployment rates at below 3% for college grads, it's certain that employers are hiring.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 PM

71 posts, read 80,678 times
The #1 most important thing in getting hired is Who You Know. (Period.)

Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
So, hiring managers... If one works his or her tail off to get educated, is polite and well mannered but isn't extroverted or socially smooth... Let's even say they're socially awkward... Should they just assume they won't get a job in today's marketplace? Mayve not a job working with clients, necessarily, but just in general - since everyone needs to have that "work personality" down? Are there enough jobs for reserved introverts to go around?
Love an answer/opinion for this.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
I wonder if it ever crosses the mind of employers that people can "fake it" during an interview to get the job. Then after getting the job, the person can slowly relax into who they are.

If they can get the job done without offending clients, coworkers, or their manager, I wonder why they'd be a problem. Soft skills are easier to develop than hard skills.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I wonder if it ever crosses the mind of employers that people can "fake it" during an interview to get the job. Then after getting the job, the person can slowly relax into who they are.

If they can get the job done without offending clients, coworkers, or their manager, I wonder why they'd be a problem. Soft skills are easier to develop than hard skills.
They sure do, all the time. I fake it enough while letting key parts of my personality out. I think, to a certain degree, everyone fakes it at some point in their career, whether it be for a specific interview, during a job they need training for but never got it, or while interacting with coworkers, just to get through the day and to make it pleasant.

I do believe no one is 100% themselves in an interview. Your goal in an interview is to "charm" the interviewer while gently suggesting to them to see that you are the best candidate/fit for the job. I think a certain degree of fakery is needed while doing so.

Maybe others disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment