Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 PM

38 posts, read 31,034 times

Advertisements

I am. Just got the word for it.

Why would anyone be happy about it? Here's why:

I have dry skin (Not dandruff, scalp doesn't itch) but some workers complained (Females) Yes, shower and use dandruff stuff, but still the skin flakes off....

I don't have to work in certain areas of the place (Temp/Conditional lab testing)

Not a lot of chatters (Bugs me people just sit there chat and not watch their testing computer details) then complain they "Didn't Know" it stopped after it sitting there for 20 minutes stopped...

I have come to know 3 of the VERY knowledgeable workers there and would LOVE to have them beside me.

That's why....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 PM

391 posts, read 453,812 times
cool story bra

Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
People in my industry love those that actually prefer the night shift.

That's one less person you have to move from day shift to fill an open night shift slot and get that person all upset.

Having worked almost three years of night shift, all I can say is props to those that seek out and work the night shift. It was absolute hell on my body and my life outside work (and at work of course).

I never could fool my body. No matter how much I slept before work, I'd always be dead tired the morning I got off work.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:23 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
I have been working the night shift for the last 5 months. I enjoy the night shift, its more relaxed, not as busy and goes by quick! I am still adjusting to sleeping during the day, however. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
It plays havoc on the social life especially if working that shift makes you rather unique in the community......as spoken by a 24+ year vampirelle.

The good things? Fewer supervisors, less office politics, doesn't leave me exhausted so I can play my off work games, more shopping time, more study time.

The bad things? FIRST OF ALL, the day people almost always have got no clue to what it means to be a night worker. To many of them, they see it as not a real job. Further, they see you as being available to help them because you have all this free time. The one word I ABSOLUTELY HATE is "nap", as in when I am begging for sleep, their response is, "Well, you can always take a nap." or "Well, you can catch a nap before work.". To day people, they believe that you can get what you need in a 1-2 hour nap.

This has led to, over the years, never really having a fixed sleep schedule....and the problems associated with that. It has led to a total destruction of watching TV for at least 3 main reasons. First of all, when dealing with family that wanted to see me on the weekends, my Sundays were absolutely pushed to the last minute getting back home, dumping my stuff at the door (which has eventually led to clutter pile I am still digging out of), turning around and heading to work. So on Monday, I was catching up on sleep unless I had things to do so it may not be till Wednesday till I was sufficiently charged again to enjoy something of the world that day people do.

Secondly, however, one will find that when it comes to night people, the TV world at best sees us a willing advertising market but for the most part, treats us as we don't exist. Look at the commercials shown during the day; they are all about training and lawsuit lawyers because to them, that is the only reason we would be home watching TV. We are either uneducated or injured. There is no TV scheduling provided for the day, it is listed as various and if there is scheduling, then it is just snippets and talking heads. There isn't even a baseball game to watch.

Finally, if one is watching recorded, commercials are timed for certain parts of the day and week. Ie, the commercials on Thursday night are selling the weekend. That is when one sees commercials about the opening movies, the sales at the department stores, or weekend activities such as home improvement and buying cars. If one watches those on Friday morning, it can be okay but it is really disorienting when one gets around to watching it on Tuesday of the following week.........to say nothing of their spoilers mention by then by the general population.

The Day People may invite you to parties at the end of their work shift. Assuming you are awake during that time, a problem is that while they are winding down, you have to be winding up.

I get off work around 0800.....and often, the restaurants don't open till at least 1100. Unless one counts the greasy spoons. As such, for a very long time, there was no breakfast to me, just lunch and dinner. I'm trying to change that but it is not easy after so long.

Etc, etc, etc.

Unless one has a community of other night workers to associate with, be prepared to watch your life become more and more isolated over the years and be on guard against the bitterness.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
It didn't bother me much to work graves (3rd shift).

I had dinners with my family, spent the evening with them, and then went to work as they went to bed.

I got home from work as they arose, had breakfast with them. When they went to work and school, I went to bed. Just got some really good darkening shades and curtains for the bedroom.

When they got home from work and school, I got up, had dinner with them, spent the evening with them.

Hell was swing shift (2nd shift). That shift put me completely out of touch with my family until the weekends.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It plays havoc on the social life especially if working that shift makes you rather unique in the community......as spoken by a 24+ year vampirelle.
You seem to be talking about swing shift rather than graveyard shift.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
When I worked in retail in college I loved overnight. No customers bothering me of having to answer stupid questions.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You seem to be talking about swing shift rather than graveyard shift.
I work midnight to 0800ish and have done so for 24+ years. That's graveyard to me.....what do you call it?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I work midnight to 0800ish and have done so for 24+ years. That's graveyard to me.....what do you call it?
My life on that shift was post #6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment