Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,148 times

Advertisements

I'm now working for a small independent business as on-call receptionist. My job is to answer calls as they come. This is very flexible, can work from home, small workload. The thing is I have to be available M-F and S to answer the phone. The amount of calls I get varies each day - most calls are from my boss.

I make $700-800 a month from this. I feel like I'm very unpaid but they cannot afford to pay me more.

I'm also in college full time but not having summer classes now. I usually take 12 credits per semester.
I have a job offer from a small company as a file clerk. 20-25 hours a week. I'd be making $880 extra a month from this.

I don't NEED another job, but I wonder if it's stupid to reject the opportunity to make extra money and save more. I worry if getting a second job would interfere with my current on-call job as I wouldn't be able to answer all calls. I also am not really sure if it would be a good idea to have a more structured bigger time commitment job when I return to classes full time.

Would you guys take a second job if you were me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:58 PM

299 posts, read 350,728 times
Yes.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I would quit the on-call job and take the file clerk job. 20-25 hours is very doable, and you would no longer be spending the mental energy of being on call 6 days a week.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would quit the on-call job and take the file clerk job. 20-25 hours is very doable, and you would no longer be spending the mental energy of being on call 6 days a week.
this

Old 06-06-2016, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I just can't afford to do that. At least with the on-call job I know that even if I get really busy with school, I can still do it. It's an easy job that I can do from home while multi-tasking. They pay me the same amount even if there are days with less work, so that's a great luxury to have. The other job - for example - if I got busy during finals I would do less hours and receive less money.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedaboutjob View Post
I just can't afford to do that. At least with the on-call job I know that even if I get really busy with school, I can still do it. It's an easy job that I can do from home while multi-tasking. They pay me the same amount even if there are days with less work, so that's a great luxury to have. The other job - for example - if I got busy during finals I would do less hours and receive less money.
Then do both.

In my experience, the more you have to do, the more you do. You already claim the on-call job is easy. School is temporary, and you will figure out how to fit everything in, just as you already have.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 PM

212 posts, read 195,380 times
I would do both, since you say that you are able to do so. And then save the extra money. Trust me, it will come in handy. I worked two part-time jobs and went to university full-time. It was difficult at times, but I've never regretted it.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:52 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
I shared my opinion in your other, nearly identical thread. http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ob-unique.html

Old 06-07-2016, 01:00 PM

27 posts, read 26,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedaboutjob View Post
No doubt. Keep the sure thing where as you are essentially paid to stay home to pick up the phone here and there. You will have time for your studies, still make 85% of your income without actually doing any work. The other is actual work, you have enough of that with your studies right now. Put that first.

Do not quit your on call position.

Consider becoming a web designer, data entry, learn to freelance, etc.. knowing you are already doing $600 per month before you even begin your second jobs work. It's a dream job to stay home to answer a call here or there... for $600-$700 month IF you do it right. It must be in combination with another gig or job. 6 days is lot of time to be forced to stay home in the long term...so you need to see a light at the end of the tunnel where you can get an additional day or two off down the line. Not sure what your majoring in but hopefully much of it involves computers because you already have a leg up. Even if you had your husband (thinking down the line) work a day for you to have off, maybe the company won't notice or mind. You train him of course. Good luck with whatever you do, I'll be checking in

Last edited by MonicaJackson.; 06-07-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment