Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:23 AM

582 posts, read 763,081 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I feel like I am stuck. Here is my situation:

I was a teacher working in school for so many years, then I got an opportunity to study at one of the top schools in NY. Then I got my masters in Educational Technology (instructional design) . I was hoping to be an instructional designer or e-learning professional. After my graduation, I couldn't find a job in my field so I accepted an offer from an office where they had a secretary position available. I have been in my job for about 8 years, working in the archives. My main job is to do filing, answering phone, and sometimes typing.

I hate my job and I want out but I don't know if it is possible to get a job in my field after all these years.

I also don't remember all the technology programs that I learnt in school. I am not confident to apply for jobs in my field. I don't know if I should just stay in this job, or apply for a job in my field?

I tried to consult with a career coach but they charge $175 an hour.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times
Not much you can do besides send out resumes, lie, or use an agency. Its never too late to start today

Old 03-12-2015, 10:42 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I seriously doubt that you will be able to get a job in your field -- eight years of not doing what you learned is a long time. I would look for entry level work at a large company that does the kind of work you want to do, and try to move into your desired position after you are already an employee.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I would build primarily on the 8 yrs of experience you've most recently attained. Secondarily, I would see if there were any fields/opportunities that would value your previous educational and teaching background. Maybe something like a corporate trainer.

Best of luck.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Thanks! I don't even know if I will be a successful instructional designer. I am not sure if I'll like it. and a position in my field requires excellent writing skills which I don't have.

The thing is I struggled so much to finish that masters. And I got it from a TOP school. I was hoping to take advantage of that.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM

And here is the bad news! my current job doesn't help me to build any skills. I do filing and I answer the phone. That is all.

I feel really down.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Relearn the programs you feel uneasy about and apply for entry level in your true desired field.
You're going to have to do this in your own time nights/weekends.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:25 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times
Quote:
I am not sure if I'll like it. and a position in my field requires excellent writing skills which I don't have.
There are two ways of looking at this.

One is that you learned a skill set and got a master's degree in that field. You are, or at least were at one point, a 'master' in that field. If you never felt that way, see option #2, but this route presumes you have a slightly rusty skillset that can be applied today.

Door number two is that you made a bad choice for a master's degree. It aimed you toward an over-crowded field whose jobs are not especially great to begin with. You learned some interesting stuff, but it's a wash and you need to move on.

#1 requires a lot more confidence and expert knowledge, but it has a bigger payoff assuming that you can rely on the assumption that your master's degree was a good thing.

#2 is more cynical but possibly more realistic. The overall payoff will be less efficient because it's effectively ignoring your master's, but it will open up other doors that may be better ideas anyway.

It sounds to me, based on your own characterization - poor writing skills in instructional design, yikes! - that #2 is the way to go. But I'm just some guy on the Internet (who also went to a well thought-of NY school, as it happens!).

Getting out of your current job is a no-brainer. With your level of education, even if it didn't help you much in the field you wanted, you need to find something that least has a career ladder. You don't want to be doing what you're doing for another 8 years unless you are really satisfied that it is the best use of your skills.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
And here is the bad news! my current job doesn't help me to build any skills. I do filing and I answer the phone. That is all.

I feel really down.
OK. GO ahead and take some time to feel down. Just don't wallow. Then, regroup and take account of where you are. Then start to build on that. We often devalue ourselves when we feel down. If you've worked within a specific industry for those 8 years, then you have some knowledge and experience in that industry. Look at admin assistant job postings within that industry and see what (if any) skills you lack and then make an attempt to learn them (Learn MS Word or Excel or whatever). Then start applying. You have 8 yrs experience, don't undervalue yourself too bad.

Could you have been in a different place by now? Maybe, but at least you are realizing. So collect your thoughts and then move on to the next step of starting.

Best of luck.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
There are two ways of looking at this.

#2 is more cynical but possibly more realistic. The overall payoff will be less efficient because it's effectively ignoring your master's, but it will open up other doors that may be better ideas anyway.

what doors? what am I going to do if I choose to ignore my master's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment