Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 PM

212 posts, read 821,964 times

Advertisements

any bad experiences in taking a temp to perm job through a employment agency.

What would you do if you got a permanent job offer with immediate benefits in a hospital, accepted that job and in the 2 week waiting period for medical clearance you received an offer for a temp to perm job paying more money. You had a phone interview with company set up by an emploment agency and the employment wants an immediate answer to start in 2 days..

Last edited by captnemo; 01-14-2008 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 PM

167 posts, read 258,485 times
My current job was temp to perm. They said that I would have to work for the temp agency for about 90 days. I actually only worked for them for about 60 days, and was hired by the company. I had an overall good experience with the temp service. The only thing that bothers me about the temp service is that they still call all of the time with "new job offers". It drives me crazy because they know that I have a full time job that I'm happy with. Good luck either way you go.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
More and more companies nowadays are going temp first to try and "feel you out" before they offer a perm. position. We moved to NC from the DC area and all my wife could get was a temp. position with a big pharma company, but after a year she got a perm. position making 25% more with great benefits. She makes much more in NC than she did working in the DC area.

I think if you are a hard worker that a temp. position will probably pay off with a perm. position, depending on what field you are in of course.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
To answer your question, I'd stay right where I was; benefits and a permanent position. They are getting harder to acquire these days.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
My job used to be a temp position.. but I've proven myself worth the "expense" (benefits, paid days off, etc) of being permanent.

It's been great.

In your situation, I'd go with the immediate permanent job.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM

160 posts, read 775,242 times
I would stick with the perm job and benefits. I've done 2 temp to perm things before... and it was not what I expected. The first one I did for a little over a year, told me I would get the job, but then they went and hired a friends of the Director of the department... all office politics, because they could pay her less money. The second temp job lasted for over a year as well, but now I am a perm employee, and have no regrets... but I would stick with the perm job you already have. A lot of temp agencies will tell you temp to perm, but some of the time lie!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Unless you felt the temp to perm job was just something SIGNIFICANTLY better, I would stay with the hospital job. Just my.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment