Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I have a friend who just shocked me because her birthday is today and she will be very active going to a concert and then dinner. But she said she is going to work tomorrow on a Monday??? I mean after having a fun and active weekend of celebrating your birthday why get up on a MONDAY out of all days especially if your birthday fell on a saturday or sunday? Now unless you just started the job you probably will be at work but if you been at the job a while and your birthday falls on one of those days why not give yourself a three day weekend??? My birthday falls on a Monday this year and you better believe I will be taking off and giving myself a three day weekend.

Anyone always take off on their birthday?
I'm shocked a middle-aged man would be making such a big deal over his birthday. What do you do on your birthday, run off to get a rejuvenating facial?

Most adults act responsibly, and go to work on their birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alottolose View Post
I usually do if my birthday is on a Friday or Monday and I have something special planned and I used to work for a place that automatically gave you your birthday off. This year my birthday falls on a Wednesday so I doubt I will be taking it off. As for the OP's co-worker who's birthday falls on a Monday, I would probably think it's strange at first that she didn't take the day off, but I would also assume she was saving her time for a vacation or for nicer weather.
She explained why this morning, she has a 13 year old son she has to take to school so she figured since she is up anyway she might as well go to work.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,103 times
My first year at work, I didnt take my birthday off because I was still going through that "probation period" by birthday is in May and I was hired in April. I worked but no knew it was my birthday. After that, depending on what day it lands on, I ask for it in advance.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
I have a friend who just shocked me because her birthday is today and she will be very active going to a concert and then dinner. But she said she is going to work tomorrow on a Monday???
What is odd is that you are shocked that your friend isn't taking off...

You are free to celebrate all week if you want to but most adults don't have huge birthday
weekend events that need a day to recover from...

Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
She explained why this morning, she has a 13 year old son she has to take to school so she figured since she is up anyway she might as well go to work.
It's really good that she explained that odd behavior ...

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I'm shocked a middle-aged man would be making such a big deal over his birthday. What do you do on your birthday, run off to get a rejuvenating facial?

Most adults act responsibly, and go to work on their birthday.

Explain how taking a paid day off that you have earned is acting irresponsibly.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Explain how taking a paid day off that you have earned is acting irresponsibly.
Save those paid days off for emergencies, when you truly need to be home. I could see a Millennial taking the day off for a birthday, but for a middle-aged man it's just silly.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Save those paid days off for emergencies, when you truly need to be home. I could see a Millennial taking the day off for a birthday, but for a middle-aged man it's just silly.

It's one day.

As I stated above, I get one personal day that I use or lose. I choose to take the day off on my birthday instead of giving it back to my company.

It's not silly - if that's what he wants to use his PTO on, then that's on him.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,671 times
My birthday falls in the summer, so that full week I have always taken off for vacation. One year I started a new job 2 weeks before my birthday so I didn't have any PTO time yet, so I had to work on my birthday... and that was the only time I have ever worked.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Good grief, over 100 posts because someone is "shocked" that his coworker isn't taking off from work on her birthday. I think I'm shocked but am too busy shaking my head in amused disbelief for the shock to take hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment