Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 AM

765 posts, read 989,621 times

Advertisements

Okay something that makes me curious is why the jobs I love are considered entry level?
Why is something like the help desk and desktop support seen as entry level?
I went to school to get my CIS degree and did always wanted to do somethin in computer repair and helpin people out with their technical problems however.
Helping people isnt always bad now I know customer service for some people is not easy but it doesnt have too much responsibility and stress compare to system administrators and network security admins and pay and hours are a bit lower and sane but it still pays decent.
I think its still a good job overall.

There are technical problems and software that can be learned only in a company and some technical details that should provide Computer Techs with decent job security. If things break we should always have a job.

Why are these jobs entry level?

I seen some of these jobs that require BA degrees some of them even have better pay and hours in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,818,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Okay something that makes me curious is why the jobs I love are considered entry level?
I went to school to get my CIS degree and did always wanted to do somethin in computer repair and helpin people out with their technical problems however.
Helping people isnt always bad now I know customer service for some people is not easy but it doesnt have too much responsibility and stress compare to system administrators and network security admins and pay and hours are a bit lower and sane but it still pays decent.

There are technical problems and software that can be learned only in a company and some technical details that should provide Computer Techs with decent job security. If things break we should always have a job.

I seen some of these jobs that require BA degrees some of them even have better pay and hours in some places.
PCs don't break as much as they used to and many folks aren't using PCs anymore.

Because Help desk and computer techs are lower tech skillsets. You may think it is high tech compared to people who are clueless with tech.

You probably don't realize that a help desk job isn't scalable meaning that you are only helping one person at a time while many IT system admins are dealing with a larger scale problem that effects hundreds of people.

A good PC tech can be replaced easily there are many without a college diploma. However a seasoned IT Pro is much harder to find which requires certain training and knowledge that you can't just learn without experience.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
PCs don't break as much as they used to and many folks aren't using PCs anymore.

Because Help desk and computer techs are lower tech skillsets. You may think it is high tech compared to people who are clueless with tech.

You probably don't realize that a help desk job isn't scalable meaning that you are only helping one person at a time while many IT system admins are dealing with a larger scale problem that effects hundreds of people.

A good PC tech can be replaced easily there are many without a college diploma. However a seasoned IT Pro is much harder to find which requires certain training and knowledge that you can't just learn without experience.
Im not just talkin about PC's thou where I work at stuff always happen
Password Resets
Outlook Issues
Setting up a new server
installing desktop for clients
doing all the IP Configuring
Printers
etc
Some laptops break and we have to fix that too not just PC's
This is kind of unbelievable but where I work at you would even meet people who don't even know how to do windows update.

They dare outsourced these jobs somewhere good luck all my end users would sure be lost with india language for cheap labor.

Its simple but people still need help no matter how simple or complicated it is.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,818,375 times
Quote:
Password Resets
Outlook Issues
Setting up a new server
Printers
etc
This is kind of unbelievable but where I work at you would even meet people who don't even know how to do windows update.

They dare outsourced these jobs somewhere good luck all my end users would sure be lost with india language for cheap labor.

Its simple but people still need help no matter how simple or complicated it is.
All of those tasks that you listed are all fully automated and not longer needed by a person to setup or configure. There are automated processes created by IT pros that automate all of those fixes or handled by overseas labor.

If you walk into many banks or even stores, they don't have a PC they have an appliance nettop that powers on and instantly connects. If it breaks, just switch out a new one and plug and play. There's very little PCs left that need repairs at many large companies, they have contracts that send techs onsite to repair and switch out hardware if necessary.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 AM

6,599 posts, read 11,344,134 times
Quote:
Password Resets
Outlook Issues
Setting up a new server
Printers
etc

First, "entry level" doesn't always mean absolutely skill-less. But that it's the least skillful relatively speaking. Both grocery bagger and IT helpdesk are considered entry level, but certainly the two require different abilities.

From an IT operations stand point, helpdesk and network monitoring (NOC/SOC) are considered entry level because it is the least skillful of the jobs within that discipline. You may like some of the things involved (research, troubleshooting, tinkering,etc.), but that doesn't mean the job will require those skills. In many cases, a lot of of the above can be automated these days. So you just need someone to know how to push buttons.

Password reset - that's just looking up a name and clicking a few buttons.
Troubleshooting workstation - I don't know too many folks that really even bothers with that these days. You just re-image the machine or redeploy a VDI. 5 minutes, and they're back and running.
I think the biggest bulk of support are things that can't be automated - like troubleshooting an application.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
First, "entry level" doesn't always mean absolutely skill-less. But that it's the least skillful relatively speaking. Both grocery bagger and IT helpdesk are considered entry level, but certainly the two require different abilities.

From an IT operations stand point, helpdesk and network monitoring (NOC/SOC) are considered entry level because it is the least skillful of the jobs within that discipline. You may like some of the things involved (research, troubleshooting, tinkering,etc.), but that doesn't mean the job will require those skills. In many cases, a lot of of the above can be automated these days. So you just need someone to know how to push buttons.

Password reset - that's just looking up a name and clicking a few buttons.
Troubleshooting workstation - I don't know too many folks that really even bothers with that these days. You just re-image the machine or redeploy a VDI. 5 minutes, and they're back and running.
I think the biggest bulk of support are things that can't be automated - like troubleshooting an application.
SO TRUE. Try supporting a company with an average of 50.000 end users we always have a lot of work we can try to automate somethings but somethings need our presence. Lots of imagining, printer setups, and email client issues or software installations that are still missing. You can't automate that stuff. When we are deploying new laptops for our users we have to do lots of configuration before new hires even have their own PC's getting permissions and approving stuff.
We also do remote support on issues that can be taken care of remotely.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:12 PM

229 posts, read 383,700 times
I'm not quite sure how someone in India could physically set up a workstation in Ohio.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,201,018 times
Quote:

Because no matter how much training is involved, they are still pretty much rote jobs. Especially the helpdesk. There is no reason they should not be entry level.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,891,450 times
There is no reason to be defensive. There is nothing wrong with jobs that are considered entry level. No one is forcing you to "move up" if you prefer not to.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,828,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
I'm not quite sure how someone in India could physically set up a workstation in Ohio.
They set it up in Mumbai and ship it to you. All you gotta do is plug it into power and the network.

Newer trends revolve around diskless, nearly "dumb" terminals that are all interchangeable. Yours breaks, they drop a new one on your desk and it plugs into power and network and you access your virtual desktop through the network--it's no longer "on" your physical desk.

Virtual servers are also taking over. No need to physically "build" a server. It's determined through specifications what type of "server" you need and a virtual server is created for you. If it "fails", another one can start up and take its place in fractions of a second.

Resetting passwords--once done through a help desk person--have been automated. Not really hard to do and really much harder to "social hack" than a person on a phone. Faster, cheaper, and much more secure.

I could go on. These trends just continue on. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment