Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,523 times

Advertisements

My co-worker and I were assigned a project to work on. I have a ton of down time, so I automatically volunteered to do all of the data tracking, paper work and phone calls associated with the project.To be honest it was no big deal and not very time consuming. The only thing my co-worker did was record my #'s and results on an excell spreadsheet.This was fine with me since she is constatly saying how busy she is.( I have yet to figure out what she is busy with- but thats another post entirley.) When we were finished she took the spreadsheets to the boss.

Anyways- fast foward 4 weeks and we completley suprised when the hospital director gave us awards and bonuses for doing such a great job.COMPLETLY UNEXPECTED- I just considered it part of my normal tasks. The problem is my coworker was given a much larger amount than was I. She told me how much her bonus was because she assumed I got the same. I don't understand how our supervisor arrived at this decesion-unless he by her turning in the end results he assumed she had done the bulk of the work.
My question- Do I say anything about this or should I just be thankful that I got any extra $ since this was insainley easy???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
My co-worker and I were assigned a project to work on. I have a ton of down time, so I automatically volunteered to do all of the data tracking, paper work and phone calls associated with the project.To be honest it was no big deal and not very time consuming. The only thing my co-worker did was record my #'s and results on an excell spreadsheet.This was fine with me since she is constatly saying how busy she is.( I have yet to figure out what she is busy with- but thats another post entirley.) When we were finished she took the spreadsheets to the boss.

Anyways- fast foward 4 weeks and we completley suprised when the hospital director gave us awards and bonuses for doing such a great job.COMPLETLY UNEXPECTED- I just considered it part of my normal tasks. The problem is my coworker was given a much larger amount than was I. She told me how much her bonus was because she assumed I got the same. I don't understand how our supervisor arrived at this decesion-unless he by her turning in the end results he assumed she had done the bulk of the work.
My question- Do I say anything about this or should I just be thankful that I got any extra $ since this was insainley easy???
suck it up... what someone else gets paid is none of your business. Maybe your coworker is just doing a better job at being a self-promoter?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I would never question "free money", mine or anyone else's.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
suck it up... what someone else gets paid is none of your business. Maybe your coworker is just doing a better job at being a self-promoter?
quoted for truth.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
Obviously your co - worker looks at you as a friend to tell you personal business like that and you willing to go to management to dispute it. That's a shame. What if he/she is lying. People lie about salary all the time. Why don't you tell your co - worker you are disputing it because it is unfair instead of going behind their back to us.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM

ogplife-She is not lying as she showed me the certificate that stated the amount. I have not disclosed to her that I recieved less. I believe this would bother her, as she realizes that she did far less work, or hell, she might think this is funny. I "went behind co- worker's" back because I wished to dicuss it with neurtral parties and see what others might do in this situation. I MUST HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM ENTITLED " WORK AND EMPLOYMENT". I THOUGHT THE PURPOSE OF IT'S EXSISTANCE WAS DISCUSSION-you may want to notify the other users of this forum that by posting and discussing things here they are backstabbing and according to you maybe we should just tell the parties envolved so there won't be a use for this forum.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
It depends upon how you feel about the co-worker. If you don't care much for their welfare, and if you feel this might be just one of a few examples of your co-worker unfairly getting credit for something you have done, then you can just go to your manager... tell them what you learned, and how. There should be no fallout on your end for doing this. Obviously your contribution to the project was already downplayed enough that you were compensated unfairly. If you use this conversation with your manager to self-promote yourself in general and use it to begin a pattern of self-promoting activities you will be better off than if you don't do anything.

All that said if you care for your co-worker, then you just need to use this as a queue for beginning self-promotion with your manager. Look online and you can find tips and hints for how to do this.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
Does the coworker have more seniority than you? That could be why their was difference. Unfortunatly I don't think there is anything you can do to change it.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Yeah, at this point is a done deal and I am just going to suck it up. However,I will have to say something in the future if these projects become more demanding and the work load stays divided as is. Now that you mention it- she has been here longer. Is that common practice in the work place to base bonus amounts strictly on senority?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Yeah, at this point is a done deal and I am just going to suck it up. However,I will have to say something in the future if these projects become more demanding and the work load stays divided as is. Now that you mention it- she has been here longer. Is that common practice in the work place to base bonus amounts strictly on senority?
If all other things are equal...

Yes, if you work for the other person or are somehow overseen by them.
No, its not normal if you have the same role in the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment