Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
I was reading on another site that this guy got fired and then the company tried to deny UE benefits saying he quit. The company lost and is now appealing the decision. Do companies really get that down and dirty? Either the manager who fired the guy lied to his bosses and said he quit or companies have gotten that low down and dirty where they will deny firing you to prevent from paying benefits and having there premium go up.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Quote:
Wow. completely unbelievable. So you think some employers do this knowing they did fire an employee? I would think maybe someone in their company didn't admit to firing the person but to think it is done on purpose is scary to say the least.
Quote:
I guess the good part is he found out they were creeps and he can apply for jobs and say he resigned
oh the irony...

In the end though, people can be greedy/malicous/scum/etc, regardless of what position they hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:51 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
My husband was once fired from a company. He applied for unemployment and the company contested it saying that he abused the machine he was running. Upon further investigation by the unemployment people and I am guessing they were wise to this company that had high turnover, my husband abused the machine when he shouted at it. Abuse of machinery per their handbook did not include shouting at the machine which was done frequently by everyone there. No, there was no profanity involved.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
My husband was once fired from a company. He applied for unemployment and the company contested it saying that he abused the machine he was running. Upon further investigation by the unemployment people and I am guessing they were wise to this company that had high turnover, my husband abused the machine when he shouted at it. Abuse of machinery per their handbook did not include shouting at the machine which was done frequently by everyone there. No, there was no profanity involved.
Ah heck then I'd be in trouble. I routinely use all of the 7 dirty words on the machines in my lab.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Considering that it's easier to get a new job if you quit rather than got fired, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth if I were that guy.
Except that their story to potential employers will probably be that he was fired.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 AM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. I worked for some really dishonest, nasty people when I was younger and know they're out there. It's the same group that cheats people and systems in other ways by not reporting income or telling people to fill out timesheets that don't reflect hours worked, or dangle fake bonuses in front of people so they work overtime, knowing the goals are unattainable and no bonus will be paid.

It's sickening. I wasn't in management when I worked in places like this, but if you're a manager and you stay there then you're condoning what's happening and you're as bad as the decision makers.

I used to work for jiffy lube as an assistant mgr and almost every day the stupid district manager would require that we call him before closing because he wanted to know if we had attained our "numbers" for the day. It sucked because most of the time we couldn't close because he wanted more sales, which meant instead of me and my crew (3 total) getting of at say 7pm, we would have to stay till 9!!!! Well after about a week of this nonsense I started to research Our state law on employees rights. I did find something to the tune of hourly employees have a right to be notified so many hours (more then 24) before being told to work an extended shift. I brought this up to him the next time he told me to stay open late and he told me if i want my job ill do what he says. I promptly said ok....and got off the phone, got on the computer in the office and opened up the email(i emailed myself the info i found), found the literature that I had read on the law and emailed it to every single jiffy lube store in the franchise, with my name attached to it and in the email i said we have rights, were not slaves, if they fire us or punish us we have retribution! The next day the district manager was there and he pulled me aside and asked me If I undertstand what I have done. I said yeah, I do, I have attempted to educate the uneducated and I have stood up for myself. I'm not going to roll over and submit to your ridiculous requests. He didn't have much to say, I never got punished. Besides, in the quick lube industry, you cannot force people to come in for a damn oil change. This is why I tell people dont go to jiffy lube, they suck, you've got illiterate idiots under the hood and underneath your car, a moron behind a counter trying to upsell special services to you that more then likely the techs have no clue how to perform and only go off of the seat of their pants.....very few people who work there actually know anything about vehicles and mechanics in general.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I used to work for jiffy lube as an assistant mgr and almost every day the stupid district manager would require that we call him before closing because he wanted to know if we had attained our "numbers" for the day. It sucked because most of the time we couldn't close because he wanted more sales, which meant instead of me and my crew (3 total) getting of at say 7pm, we would have to stay till 9!!!! Well after about a week of this nonsense I started to research Our state law on employees rights. I did find something to the tune of hourly employees have a right to be notified so many hours (more then 24) before being told to work an extended shift. I brought this up to him the next time he told me to stay open late and he told me if i want my job ill do what he says. I promptly said ok....and got off the phone, got on the computer in the office and opened up the email(i emailed myself the info i found), found the literature that I had read on the law and emailed it to every single jiffy lube store in the franchise, with my name attached to it and in the email i said we have rights, were not slaves, if they fire us or punish us we have retribution! The next day the district manager was there and he pulled me aside and asked me If I undertstand what I have done. I said yeah, I do, I have attempted to educate the uneducated and I have stood up for myself. I'm not going to roll over and submit to your ridiculous requests. He didn't have much to say, I never got punished. Besides, in the quick lube industry, you cannot force people to come in for a damn oil change. This is why I tell people dont go to jiffy lube, they suck, you've got illiterate idiots under the hood and underneath your car, a moron behind a counter trying to upsell special services to you that more then likely the techs have no clue how to perform and only go off of the seat of their pants.....very few people who work there actually know anything about vehicles and mechanics in general.
Good for you. That was a risky, Norma Rae move most don't do because they cannot afford to lose their job.

Several years ago I heard of another big company where the DM was trying to pull the same kind of thing and the local manager over one of the centers said, "The staff thinks I'm just playing with them. Can you email that to me so I can show them it's a legitimate request?" And he did, which the manager then ignored other than to print out and report the guy, who ended up losing his job.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Good for you. That was a risky, Norma Rae move most don't do because they cannot afford to lose their job.

Several years ago I heard of another big company where the DM was trying to pull the same kind of thing and the local manager over one of the centers said, "The staff thinks I'm just playing with them. Can you email that to me so I can show them it's a legitimate request?" And he did, which the manager then ignored other than to print out and report the guy, who ended up losing his job.
Well I do have to admit I wasn't too worried about loosing my job, as I was actively pursuing an apprenticeship with the boilermakers union and was on the cusp of putting my 2 weeks in anyway. I had just had enough of the BS. I have always been a thinker and analytical about things, I don't just do whatever anyone says because their above me...no I think for myself and ask questions. I'm no dummy and I know how most people work. Most people are selfish and want to "come up" on whoever they can....well not happening with me.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
This is a thing. Sorry OP, wish it weren't so.

Whether he got fired or quit has no impact on difficulty of finding a job (unless he admits it on applications), but it does determine benefits.

Most people hired for work (sad but true) will have lied somewhere in the application process or had a friend/relative give their application a nudge along the right path.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Companies I have worked for lost every case...

The last time it was huge and drawn out.

All employees were required to re-apply for their job due to the company being sold.

This went down to apply for unemployment saying he no longer had a job.

The CEO said he quit... they got into an argument when the employee said re-apply means I no longer have a job.

I did re-apply and was told my position was being outsourced... so I went and bought a home out of state... the sale was contested by regulators and in the end was cancelled... talk about turmoil for 6 months...

Old 04-08-2015, 12:26 PM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Except that their story to potential employers will probably be that he was fired.
Since they don't want to pay out unemployment or have their rate affected, the only way to make it end is to give a good reference so the person can get off unemployment and call it a day. Oh the webs we weave when we try and deceive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment