Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,827 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short I've worked at a telecom company for three years where my hours have been 9AM to 5PM M-F. My schedule is now being forcibly switched to 3PM to 11PM M-F and I'm not quite sure how to deal with the change. Below I'm going to list off the current schedule and two schedules I've proposed to myself.

I think I've always been used to falling asleep, waking up before work, working, and then going home to relax. Proposed #1 makes sense to me, but the hours seem so arcane. I feel like Proposed #2 is the more sane solution, but it will be a big change since I will now be falling asleep, waking up to relax and do things, then going off to work.

Am I over-analyzing this too much? I'm just looking for opinions on what you did when working this type of shift or if you were in my shoes what you would do.

Sorry for such a mundane post, but I'm a little lost with what to do here.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Yes, you are over thinking it. You are only changing your working hours to a shift that does not require you to drastically change your sleep habits. Go to bed by 1am sleep until 9 or 10 and all the things you typically do after work you now do before work instead.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:23 PM

306 posts, read 517,439 times
I would hate the change personally... you wake up knowing you have to go to work later on, that feeling would always be pitted in my stomach... and when you get home at night the day is completely over. But that is just me. I currently work 7-4 and wouldn't want it any other way (unless I could get shorter hours.)

The only benefit would be it would be easier to find a new job because you can schedule interviews and appointments during normal working business hours.

But if you are accepting keeping the new hours, I would go with proposal 2. You will have no life staying up at night.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times
I worked 3:30p-midnight for three years and slept from about 6 or 7am until 2:30-3pm. My roommate, who worked the same schedule, slept from about 2am until about 9 or 10am. Just depends on how you like to do it. Personally I like sleeping until just up to my shift or I tend to get tired too early.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
I was once switched from 8-5 to 5-12. I found that your #2 plan was preferable for a couple reasons:
1. you are not trying to sleep during daylight hours 6-2.
2. sleeping 12-8 is same as current.
3. you have daytime hours available to do things others have to take off work to do ( doc appts, etc)
4. eating schedule is close to normal, although I would have a big late lunch before work, than a small midnite meal after.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yes, you are over thinking it. You are only changing your working hours to a shift that does not require you to drastically change your sleep habits. Go to bed by 1am sleep until 9 or 10 and all the things you typically do after work you now do before work instead.
One benefit I see is I'll be able to hit the gym with less of a crowd during the day! Maybe this doesn't seem so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
I would hate the change personally... you wake up knowing you have to go to work later on, that feeling would always be pitted in my stomach... and when you get home at night the day is completely over. But that is just me. I currently work 7-4 and wouldn't want it any other way (unless I could get shorter hours.)

The only benefit would be it would be easier to find a new job because you can schedule interviews and appointments during normal working business hours.

But if you are accepting keeping the new hours, I would go with proposal 2. You will have no life staying up at night.
I never thought about having the ability to use daytime to find a new job. I've been postulating looking for a new job for some time now and this opens up a great window. Thank you very much!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:30 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
I think once you get into it you'll figure out what works best. It is nice that you don't have to actually work overnight, although if you work M-F, your only nights for socializing are Sat./Sun (unless you have friends who would be out at a bar on Friday night after you get off work).

also, you can do errands during the day when stores are less busy and there is less traffic

Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 PM

306 posts, read 517,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHonesty View Post
One benefit I see is I'll be able to hit the gym with less of a crowd during the day! Maybe this doesn't seem so bad.

I never thought about having the ability to use daytime to find a new job. I've been postulating looking for a new job for some time now and this opens up a great window. Thank you very much!

Having the open window during the day to get all doctors, dentist, schedule interviews, etc during the day that would normally be difficult when working normal business hours is awesome.

It just isn't something I would prefer in the long-term. If you were thinking about looking for a new job, now you have a great opportunity without having to worry about taking off from work for interviews and having your current job get suspicious.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:35 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
I wouldn't want to switch to sleeping during the day for working a swing shift. Just stay up a little later and wake up a little later.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:36 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
The good thing about this kind of shift is being able to do all your business during daylight hours, and doing things (like going to gym) when it's not crowded. If you're single, these are great shifts IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment