Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Thank you notes
Over 30: Always 12 17.39%
Over 30: Never 12 17.39%
Over 30: Sometimes 11 15.94%
Under 30: Always 13 18.84%
Under 30: Never 12 17.39%
Under 30: Sometimes 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times

Advertisements

My company is hiring, and over the past few weeks I have been pulled into interviews. One thing has me really bothered: none of the candidates send thank you notes. Email or otherwise.

Do people not do this anymore? I always send a note after an in person interview. Typically on the same day, if not on the way home. Even if I didn't like tge job. It is just good courtesey in my book. One candidate didn't follow up with anyone even thogh she was interested.

Maybe I'm just "old."

So do you send thank you notes? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:36 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,007,502 times
Companies rarely have enough consideration to even send rejection letters so the applicant is stuck left wondering if they got to the job or not or where in the process they could be in getting hired.

Why should applicants extend any consideration either? I love how when applying for companies (For probably underpaid lousy positions) you have to act like a desperate toadie wiling to do anything to get hired.

Nothing is worse than an employer's market who can string along millions of candidates and playing Jedi Mind trick corporate games

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-11-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,172,263 times
I've given up thank you notes long ago, but I'll send an email and a LinkedIn invitation if I can get an email address for the interviewer.

My early-20s son is job-hunting. He doesn't even like to send thank-you emails after interviews. He'd just give me the and look at me like I was from Mars if I dared to suggest he send a thank you note or a LinkedIn invitation.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I've given up thank you notes long ago, but I'll send an email and a LinkedIn invitation if I can get an email address for the interviewer.

My early-20s son is job-hunting. He doesn't even like to send thank-you emails after interviews. He'd just give me the and look at me like I was from Mars if I dared to suggest he send a thank you note or a LinkedIn invitation.
I gave up on handwritten notes a while ago, but emails are a no-brainer. I bring my card as a test if I am the interviewer. It feels like 5 minutes well worth it to me. Particularly in a competitive situation. And you can share that key anecdote/proof point you forgot in the interview.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:09 PM

469 posts, read 638,597 times
I always do but I think it is rude that no interviewer responds to a thank you email with something like. "We appreciate you coming in today and it was nice speaking with you as well".

How hard would that be? Coming from people who want so much courtesy extended to them, it would be very nice and professional of them to extend some courtesy themselves.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:26 PM

29,872 posts, read 25,009,573 times
I sent a response following an interview once. Not only did I not get the job, but I was never informed that I was not selected for the job. So, I have found writing thank you notes and the like to be a waste of time. Just my limited, and admittedly limited experience.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:02 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,789,468 times
I totally agree with andywire and others, personally I find thank you notes and emails an absolute waste of time.

As an interviewer, receiving a thank you note in any form never influenced my hiring recommendations.

I only sent a thank you email after interviewing for my current job because the recruiter told me to do so. Previous jobs I have never sent any thank you notes/emails.

If you search online, some advice will say that it's important to send one. I disagree.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,353,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My company is hiring, and over the past few weeks I have been pulled into interviews. One thing has me really bothered: none of the candidates send thank you notes. Email or otherwise.

Do people not do this anymore? I always send a note after an in person interview. Typically on the same day, if not on the way home. Even if I didn't like tge job. It is just good courtesey in my book. One candidate didn't follow up with anyone even thogh she was interested.

Maybe I'm just "old."

So do you send thank you notes? Why or why not?
Most people under thirty don't think a formal reply is necessary when their grandmother mails them a hundred dollars with a birthday greeting. Why would they thank someone for an interview for a job they might not get? I'm sure I'll get annoyed replies from the few outliers who were taught some manners and want to use their example as the norm, but in fact the vast majority of our younger citizens not only have no interest in etiquette, they often actively mock it.

They see etiquette as stuffy people trying to "control" them, not as a set of principles designed to guide human behavior so that society functions smoothly and confusion and hurt feelings are avoided.

Early in my corporate career, my employer gave those of us who attended a particular conference a copy of a book called The Complete Guide to Executive Manners by Letitia Baldrige, who owned a PR firm and was once the social secretary at the White House. I still have that book and consulted it constantly during my career. Much of what it teaches seems like common sense (thanking someone for taking time out of their busy day to consider a person for employment, for one example). But this is the kind of common sense that is lacking in current times. Just the other day someone contributed a letter to the C-D thread on relationships asking how to "disinvite" people from her wedding after the bills for the big show she wanted started to get too high.
http://www.amazon.com/Letitia-Baldri.../dp/0892563621

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-11-2015 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: grammar, something else that's out of style

Old 04-11-2015, 02:01 PM

34,156 posts, read 83,217,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Do people under age 30 send thank you notes??
Do people under age 30 know how to write a note?

Old 04-11-2015, 02:33 PM

469 posts, read 638,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
This is way off.

I'm a millennial with good manners (always tips well, hold doors, say please and thank you, say sir and ma'am, etc).

But employers, in general, treat employees as disposable commodities. There is very little to no loyalty. Also, like many have said, if you don't get the job, they simply don't call you (but then they will call you months later out of the blue when it's convenient for them). Where's the etiquette there?

The fact is that Baby Boomers don't understand that you grew up in a privileged society that no longer exists (partially because you, as a group, destroyed it).

Many of us younger people have manners. We just choose not to use them because it will not get us anywhere.
For starters,take some economic classes to learn about the economy and how it works so you wouldn't look silly making statements such as :

"The fact is that Baby Boomers don't understand that you grew up in a privileged society that no longer exists (partially because you, as a group, destroyed it)."

Additionally, when you have class and manners it is just a part of you and a natural way of behaving for you, so you don't choose not to have class or manners because there is nothing in for you. Either you are that person or you are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment